Homemade meatloaf is a moist recipe with tons of flavor, and a special ingredient–Jiffy cornbread. If you’re tired of dry and tasteless meatloaf, y’all will want to try this recipe.
The Best Meatloaf Recipe
Growing up I wasn’t too fond of meatloaf. It usually tasted dry, had way too much ketchup to cover up the dryness, and I just didn’t like the flavor of it.
It’s a hearty meal that is homemade that even your pickiest eaters will love.
Give these tasty side dishes a try with meatloaf.
- Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- Ground beef
- Evaporated milk
- Diced onions
- Minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Ground beef – ground beef is the go-to meat for meatloaf; however, you can use ground turkey, as well.
We get our meat at Fresh Market because we love it, and it’s on sale once a week.
Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix – This seems like a strange ingredient to add to meatloaf, but it works.
Jiffy mix gives the meatloaf a tiny bit of sweetness and it helps bind the meatloaf together.
If you don’t have Jiffy on hand, you can also use the same amount of oatmeal or breadcrumbs in the recipe.
Evaporated Milk – For this recipe, I added some evaporated milk because it makes the dish a little bit creamier.
Milk is another ingredient in the recipe, but adding evaporated milk just gives it a touch more creamy flavor.
Worcestershire sauce – this is a great addition to the meatloaf recipe because along with the onions and garlic, it adds a bit of a bite to it. I add this to the meat and to the topping.
Egg – There’s only one egg in the recipe, but it will help bing the meatloaf, as well as add some flavor.
How To Make Meatloaf
- Add all of the ingredients, with the exception of the ground beef and Jiffy mix, to a large bowl and mix well.
- Next, add the ground beef and mix well with your hands.
- Finally, add the Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix to the bowl and mix well.
- Pour the meatloaf into a greased loaf pan and bake for one hour.
- After one hour, add the remainder of the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce to a small bowl and mix.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven, cut a few slices into the meatloaf to allow the ketchup to flow into.
- Pour the ketchup mixture over the top and spread it around. Gently work a little into the slits.
- Return to meatloaf to the oven and bake for one more hour.
Brandie, over at The Country Cook, has a delicious recipe for Brussel sprouts and bacon to serve with meatloaf.
Add one beaten egg to a large glass bowl.
Next, pour the small can of evaporated milk into the bowl.
If you don’t have evaporated milk, you can use milk. Just add 1/2 a cup of milk to your other milk for a total of one cup.
Pour the milk into the bowl.
Add the ketchup and mustard to the bowl.
I know what you’re thinking…too much mustard! But, it tastes great and it’s not a strong mustard taste. It adds plenty of flavor to the dish.
Minced garlic, diced onion, salt, and pepper are the next ingredients to add to the bowl.
Pour the Worcestershire sauce into the bowl and mix all of the ingredients well.
Add the ground beef to the bowl and mix it all together with your hands.
It’s messy, but if you mix with your hands, you’ll be able to get all the ingredients mixed well.
Finally, add the Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix to the bowl and mix well, using your hands.
If you don’t have Jiffy, you can also use one cup of oatmeal instead. Just pour it right in and go.
Place the meatloaf into a greased loaf pan and bake for one hour.
You can use a metal or glass loaf pan if that is what you have. I like to use my stoneware loaf pan because it’s a little deeper and I think it holds the heat better.
TIP: Be sure to place the loaf pan on a cookie sheet covered in tin foil. If your meat is a little greasy, it might run over the side a little and create quite a mess in the bottom of the oven.
Putting a tin foil covered cookie sheet underneath will solve that problem.
In a small bowl add the remaining ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and mix well.
Remove the meatloaf from the oven and take a knife and slice into the meat in a few places.
Spread the ketchup mixture over the top and work a little bit of it into the grooves.
Place back into the oven and bake for another hour.
Great side dishes with meatloaf:
- Oven-baked potato wedges are so much tastier than plain old French fries.
- Mashed potato cakes are perfect with this dish, and you can make them out of left-over mashed potatoes.
- Crock Pot macaroni and cheese is always a good choice to eat on the side with meatloaf.
- Roasted red potatoes are another great side dish that is packed with flavor.
Homemade Meatloaf Recipe With Jiffy
Check out the meatloaf recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is a great meal that everyone will love.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your supper on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 - 5 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup diced onions
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 cup Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
Preheat oven to 350-degrees and grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- Add the beaten egg, evaporated milk, milk, 1/2 cup ketchup, mustard, diced onions, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and 2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce to a large bowl and mix well.
- Next, add the ground beef and work into the liquid ingredients with your hands.
- Add the Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix and mix well again.
- Place the meatloaf into the loaf pan.
- Cover a cookie sheet with tin foil and place the loaf pan on top.
- Bake for one hour.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup ketchup and one teaspoon of Worcestershire Sauce.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and take a knife and cut a few slices through.
- Pour the ketchup mixture over the top and spread out, gently working the mixture into the sliced areas.
- Bake for one more hour.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.