Jiffy cornbread tamale pie is a super easy recipe, packed with flavor and a filling meal to make for the whole family.
The easy tamale pie recipe is perfect for those busy weeknights when you want to make a simple but delicious meal for the family.
Mexican Cornbread Casserole Recipe
Looking for an easy and delicious Mexican-inspired recipe? This Jiffy Mexican cornbread is perfect!
It’s made with ground beef, cornbread mix, and enchilada sauce, so it’s flavorful and satisfying.
Plus, it’s quick and easy to make, so you can have a delicious meal on the table in no time. Give it a try tonight!
Delicious ingredients, including ground beef, melted cheese, and flavorful seasonings, make up the bottom portion of the cornbread recipe.
It’s topped with Jiffy cornbread layer, creamed corn, and sour cream, all mixed together to make a filling and delicious dinner.
If you love cornbread, give Jiffy corn pudding with creamed and whole kernel corn. It’s the best thing.
Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
I’ve been on a bit of a Jiffy cornbread kick lately and that’s because it just tastes so good, and you can make so many different dishes with it for a super low price.
Jiffy cornbread tamale pie is a great dinner for the family because it will feed quite a few people, and if you’re like us with growing boys, you know how much they can eat.
It’s a great cornbread base for your main dish.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Tamale Pie With Cornbread Topping?
(Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card)
For the beef mixture:
- Ground Beef
- Green chiles
- Red enchilada sauce
- Dried minced onion
- Chili powder
- Garlic salt
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
For the cornbread topping:
- Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- Sour cream
- Vegetable oil
- Can of cream corn
How To Make The Mexican Cornbread Recipe With Ground Beef And Jiffy
- Cook beef in a skillet until brown. Drain the grease and add to a large heat-safe bowl.
- Add the green chiles, enchilada sauce, minced onion, chili powder, and garlic salt and mix well.
- Next, add the sour cream and shredded cheese to the meat mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a casserole dish.
- Next, add the boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix, egg, milk, vegetable oil, sour cream, and cream corn to a large bowl and mix well.
- Spread over the top of the meat mixture and bake for 50 minutes until the top is golden brown and the cake tester comes out clean.
Ground Beef Mixture
Start by adding the ground beef to a large skillet and cooking on medium heat until brown. Drain the grease.
If you want to make the meal less fattening, you can use ground turkey instead of beef.
Or, you can opt for shredded chicken. A chicken tamale pie is just as delicious.
You can grab a rotisserie chicken down at the store and shred it to add to the dish if you prefer chicken.
Fresh Market has a great selection of rotisserie chickens.
Having different options like this is a great way to change up the recipe.
Next, add the ground beef to a large mixing bowl. Drain the juice off of the green chiles and add them to the bowl.
Pour the red enchilada sauce into the bowl with the beef and chiles.
For this recipe you can pick your favorite enchilada sauce.
Add the garlic salt and minced onion.
I used dried minced onion for this recipe simply because it’s easier, but it’s still just as flavorful.
You can dice some fresh onions for this dish if you’d like to do that, as well.
Next, add the chili powder to the bowl with the other ingredients.
Sour cream is next on the list to add to the mixture.
That dollop of sour cream is going to add quite a bit of moisture.
Finally, add the shredded cheddar cheese to the bowl.
For this recipe, I chose sharp cheddar, but you’re welcome to choose any type of shredded cheese that you’d like because they are all going to taste delicious.
Mexican cheese blend is a great choice, as well.
Spread the ground beef mixture into a greased casserole dish and set aside while you get the cornbread topping ready.
You can use a 9″ x 13″ dish or something just a tad smaller. I wouldn’t go as small as 9″ x 9″ because it will be too small once you add the cornbread mixture on top.
If you have a large cast iron skillet, you can bake the recipe in that, as well.
Jiffy Cornbread Ingredients for Topping
Grab another bowl and add the Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix and an egg to the bowl.
I started out using one box of muffin mix but ended up adding another one, so the recipe calls for two boxes.
Pour the milk into the bowl with the muffin mix and egg.
Add the vegetable oil to the bowl.
This is a very moist cornbread recipe, and part of it is taken from my “How To Make Jiffy Cornbread More Moist” post, which has been wildly popular because it’s such an easy and delicious recipe.
There are a lot of different ingredients that go into this recipe that help make the cornbread topping so moist, including sour cream, vegetable oil, and egg.
Next, add the cream-style corn to the bowl and mix everything together until well combined.
Pour the Jiffy cornbread casserole mixture over the ground beef mixture and spread it out evenly to the edges of the pan.
Cornbread batter will be lumpy. If you try to mix it until all the lumps are gone, you might create some crumbly cornbread. So, lumpy Jiffy mix is good.
Baking the Jiffy Cornbread Tamale Pie
Finally, bake the Jiffy cornbread tamale pie for approximately 50 minutes until the top is golden brown.
You can stick a cake tester or a knife through the top, and if it comes out clean, it should be finished cooking.
This is the perfect tamale pie recipe, and it’s a family favorite around here. And that cornbread layer is sooo good.
Jiffy cornbread muffin mix makes so many meals taste wonderful.
If you love Mexican-inspired recipes, give this Mexican ground beef casserole a try.
Additional Extra Ingredient Options:
- Black beans
- Green onions
- Diced green bell pepper
- Diced jalapeño peppers to make it a spicy tamale pie
- Kidney beans
How To Store Tamale Pie
If you have leftovers, you can store the meal in an airtight container or place some plastic wrap over the top and keep it in the refrigerator.
How Do You Reheat a Tamale Pie?
There are a couple of different ways to reheat tamale pie. You can place a piece on a microwave-safe dish, cover it with a paper towel, and heat it for about two minutes.
If you’d like to heat the delicious tamale pie in the oven, it is just a few simple steps. Heat to 350 degrees for about twenty minutes. If you are only reheating one piece, check after ten minutes to see if the pie is hot.
Tips and Variations
- Different Cornbread Base: For a twist, try making a sweet homemade cornbread crust or add layers of cornbread for a richer texture.
- Filling Variations: For the filling, mix ground chicken or chorizo with taco seasoning mix. You can also add a can of black beans for extra protein and fiber. In a medium bowl, blend the cooked meat with tomato sauce, green chilies, and bell peppers sautéed in olive oil. For those who love heat, adding hot sauce or more green chilis can kick up the spice level.
- Cheese and Toppings: Sprinkle layers of quesadilla cheese or pepper jack cheese within the tamale pie. After baking, top with a sprinkle of cheese or a container of queso for extra flavor. Add a dollop of sour cream on top.
- Serving: Serve the tamale pie hot (let it cool out of the oven for a few minutes) for the best flavor.
- Make-Ahead and Meal Prep: This is a great recipe for meal prep. Consider making a double batch and freezing individual portions for an easy dinner option later.
- Healthier Options: For those looking for healthy recipes, consider using lean meats like ground chicken or turkey and load up on vegetables. Using whole-grain cornbread mix can also add nutritional value.
- Variations for Different Occasions: You can adapt the Jiffy Tamale pie for different themes, like a Texas tamale pie, by adding specific regional ingredients or make a more traditional Mexican tamale casserole by using authentic Mexican cheeses and spices.
Recipe Card Below
If you’re looking for a hearty dinner any night of the week that your whole family will love, look no further than Jiffy cornbread tamale pie.
This recipe is packed with flavor and is so simple to make–you can have it on the dinner table in no time at all. So what are you waiting for? Get the recipe and start cooking!
Check out the Jiffy cornbread tamale pie recipe card below, grab those ingredients for the easy meal, and start baking! I love this recipe and I think you’ll love this one, too.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your Jiffy cornbread casserole tamale pie on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us.
Ground beef mixture
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 oz. green chiles
- 10 oz. red enchilada sauce
- 1 Tbsp. dried minced onion
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Jiffy Cornbread Topping
- 2 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 14.75 oz. can cream corn
Ground Beef Mixture
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9" x 13" casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Be sure to spray the sides and bottom of the pan for easy clean-up.
- Brown the ground beef.
- Drain the grease off of the ground beef.
- Add the ground beef, green chiles, enchilada sauce, minced onion, garlic salt, and chili powder to a large bowl.
- Add the sour cream and shredded cheese and mix well.
- Pour into the greased casserole dish.
Jiffy Cornbread Topping
- In another bowl, add the two boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, egg, milk, vegetable oil, sour cream, and cream corn and mix well.
- Pour over the ground beef mixture and spread it out evenly over the top.
- Bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven or until the top is golden brown and the cake tester or knife comes out clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 664Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 155mgSodium: 1224mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 12gProtein: 34g
Nutrition is approximate.
Check out more delicious recipes at: