Easy Cornbread Dressing
The easy cornbread dressing was a hit at our house because it’s a classic dish that everyone loves and it has a touch of sweetness to it in the Jiffy cornbread.
The recipe, made with buttermilk, Jiffy cornbread, onions, celery, sage, and bread, is always welcome at the Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner table.
The recipe has a mixture of fantastic flavors to create a dish that is worth making year-after-year.
Dressing Or Stuffing?
What you call it depends a lot on where you live.
I kind of think of stuffing as food that is stuffed into another food such as turkey, and dressing as a dish on the side.
But, we all know that both dressing and stuffing are wonderful at Thanksgiving and Christmas, so we will take it no matter what you call it.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make The Cornbread Dressing?
- Onion, diced
- Celery, diced
- Chicken broth
- Bread, toasted or stale
- Jiffy cornbread, baked
- Salt and pepper
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How Do I Make The Southern Cornbread Dressing?
Everyone cooks dressing a little bit differently and adds some different ingredients to the recipe. Below are the steps I take to make the dressing here at home.
- Before starting the dressing, set out five pieces of white or wheat bread and allow it to dry for at least one day. If you don’t have time, lightly toast the bread until it’s dry and then set it aside.
- Mix up two batches of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix according to the directions. Add both mixes to one 8″ x 8″ baking dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let the cornbread cool while you cook the onions and celery.
- Dice the onions and celery and place them into a frying pan with butter. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Break up the Jiffy cornbread into pieces while the onions and celery cook and set it aside.
- Add the onions and celery to a large bowl.
- Next, pour the chicken broth and buttermilk into the bowl. Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the sage, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Next, cut up the toasted/dried bread into pieces and place it into the bowl. Add the cornbread, as well, and mix everything.
- Pour the ingredients into a greased 9″ x 13″ baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the edges of the cornbread are golden brown.
How To Make Cornbread Dressing
Before you get started, if you like stale bread in your dressing, set out five pieces to dry.
If you’d rather toast the bread, that will work as well.
I toasted mine for a few minutes until the bread was crusty.
I choose to toast mine because I have a crazy cat that will find any food I leave out and eat it all, and leave a trail of bread behind him.
Start by making two packages of Jiffy cornbread according to the directions.
Add both mixes into one 8″ x 8″ baking dish and bake.
Allow the cornbread to cool.
Next, dice the onions and celery and add to a frying pan with butter. Cook until the onions are translucent.
While the onions and celery are cooking, crumble the cornbread into pieces and set it aside.
Next, grab a really large bowl and add the cooked onions and celery.
Pour the chicken broth into the bowl.
Next, pour the buttermilk into the bowl and give it all a good stir.
Add the eggs and whisk them all in.
I add the eggs after the liquids because the onions and celery are still hot enough that they can cook the eggs a little bit.
If you add the eggs after the liquid you shouldn’t have that problem.
Add the sage, salt, and pepper to the bowl.
Sage is optional in the recipe. Some people don’t like it, but the dressing will still taste great without it.
Next, add the stale bread (or toasted) to the bowl.
Finally, add the cornbread and mix everything together.
Pour the dressing into a 9″ x 13″ greased casserole dish and bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until the edges of the cornbread are golden brown.
Jiffy Cornbread Dressing Recipe
Check out the old fashioned cornbread recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking!
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your dressing on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 2 - 8.5 oz. boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2-1/4 cups celery, diced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 5 slices stale or toasted bread
- 1 tsp. rubbed sage
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the two boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix to a large bowl.
- Next, add the eggs and milk and mix well.
- Pour into an 8" x 8" baking dish and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Allow the cornbread to cool.
- REDUCE the oven temperature to 350-degrees.
- Add the butter, diced onions, and celery to a skillet and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Crumble the cornbread into pieces while the onions and celery are cooking.
- After the onions and celery cook, add them to a very large bowl.
- Next, pour in the chicken broth and buttermilk and mix.
- Add the eggs to the bowl and mix well.
- Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, and sage and mix.
- Finally, add the stale bread and crumbled cornbread to the bowl and mix well.
- Pour the dressing mixture into a greased 9" x 13" casserole dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown on the edges.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 339Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 162mgSodium: 1094mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 3gSugar: 12gProtein: 11g
Nutrition is approximate.