If you’re like me, you always look forward to the Thanksgiving dinner feast–but especially the green bean casserole.
I love that creamy, savory sauce with crispy onions and tender green beans.
The classic green bean casserole recipe is easy to make, costs less than ten dollars, and is the perfect side dish for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.
The Perfect Holiday Meal Side Dish
This is the best green bean casserole recipe, and it’s not only delicious but a great holiday side dish.
I had the casserole prepared and in the oven in five minutes, and that included time spent cleaning the mixing bowl.
Families want the holidays to be special, with tasty foods we all love that won’t break the bank–and that are quick and easy to fix.
Plus, the recipe is very, very similar to French’s Green Bean Casserole Recipe, so it’s a familiar, comforting recipe.
Watch The Video!
I’m telling you, my family loves this green bean casserole recipe.
And, I love the fact that I can make it ahead of time and put it in the fridge or prepare it quickly and have it on the table piping hot in no time.
If you already have a lot of food to prepare for the holidays, this wonderful recipe will save you some time.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make The Green Bean Casserole?
- Canned cream of mushroom soup
- Ground black pepper
- Cooked green beans
- Crispy fried onions
- Cooked and crumbled bacon, optional
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the page in the recipe card.
How Do You Make The Green Bean Casserole Recipe In The Oven?
- Add the cream of mushroom, salt, pepper, milk, green beans, part of the crispy fried onions, and half of the bacon to a large bowl. Mix everything together.
- Pour the mushroom mixture into a greased pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Sprinkle with the remainder of the crispy fried onions and bacon. Return to the oven for five minutes. Serve hot.
Add the cream of mushroom soup to a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
I like to use canned cream of mushroom soup because it’s easier and quicker during the holiday season. But, homemade cream of mushroom soup is a great choice, as well.
Pour the milk into the bowl and mix everything together.
Some people like to use almond milk to change up this traditional version. It’s a great way to add some different flavors.
Next, add part of the crispy fried onions to the bowl. (Reserve 1/2 cup for the topping).
Add part of the bacon to the bowl and mix everything together.
If you’re not a big bacon eater (whaaat?) you can leave the bacon out of the recipe. It does add some great flavor to the dish, though.
I cooked the bacon in the microwave, but you can also purchase precooked bacon at the store to save on time.
Pour the green beans into the bowl and mix together.
For this recipe, I used canned green beans. But, you can also use French style canned green beans or fresh green beans, as well.
Pour into the casserole dish. Bake for 30-minutes.
You really don’t need anything much larger than a 9″ x 9″ dish unless you are doubling the recipe.
After 30-minutes, sprinkle the rest of the crispy fried onions and bacon on top of the casserole and bake for another five minutes.
The classic holiday side dish will be golden brown on top when done. Serve warm.
You can always add more bacon and crispy fried onions to the top if you’d like. Sliced almonds are also a great treat sprinkled on the top for more crunch and flavor.
Homemade Green Bean Casserole
- Fresh mushrooms
- Panko breadcrumbs sprinkled on top
- Crushed potato chips sprinkled on top
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Other Thanksgiving Recipes For Your Holiday Table:
- Broccoli cheese bake
- Jiffy Cornbread with creamed corn
- Slow cooker glazed carrots with brown sugar
- Easy Crock Pot mashed potatoes
- Easy Crock Pot creamed corn from Julia’s Simply Southern
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy-to-make side dish for your next holiday gathering, look no further than the classic green bean casserole.
This great recipe is affordable, takes just minutes to prepare, and is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
So what are you waiting for? Get out your ingredients and start cooking!
- 10.5 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 cups cooked green beans
- 1-1/4 cup crispy fried onions (reserve 1/2 cup)
- 3 slices cooked bacon (crumbled) (reserve half)
Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Add the condensed cream of mushroom soup, salt, pepper, and milk to a large bowl. Mix everything together.
- Add 3/4 cup of the crispy fried onions and half of the crumbled bacon into the bowl and mix.
- Add the green beans to the bowl and mix together.
- Pour into a greased 9" x 9" casserole dish and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remainder of the crispy fried onions and bacon on the top of the casserole.
- Bake for five more minutes and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 servings Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 1306mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 10g
Nutrition is approximate.