You can even prep most of it the day before, so you’re not spending as much time in the kitchen on a holiday.
The Best Squash Casserole Recipe
Loaded with cheddar cheese, Ritz Crackers, and plenty of tasty ingredients, you might just say this is the best squash casserole recipe.
Everyone at the dinner table is going to want seconds.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make The Squash Casserole Recipe?
- Fresh yellow squash
- Ritz Crackers
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How Do I Make The Yellow Squash Casserole
- Cut the squash and place it into a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add the diced onions and water.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and let the veggies soften for about five minutes.
- Crush the Ritz Crackers and add them, along with the shredded cheddar cheese to a small bowl and mix.
- Add the eggs and milk to another small bowl and beat.
- Drain the water off of the squash and onions and pour it into a large bowl.
- Add half of the Ritz Crackers and cheese to the squash and mix well.
- Next, add the milk and egg mixture to the bowl of squash and mix well.
- Add the salt, pepper, and butter to the bowl and mix.
- Pour the squash casserole into a casserole dish and spread out.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the cheddar cheese and Ritz Crackers over the top of the casserole.
- Top with slivers of butter and bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Cut the squash about half an inch wide.
You’ll need four cups for this recipe.
Place the squash in a saucepan and add the diced onions.
Pour the water into the saucepan, cover with a lid, and cook for about five minutes, or until the squash and onions are tender.
Add the shredded cheddar cheese to a small bowl.
Next, crush the Ritz Crackers and add them to the bowl with the cheese.
Add the eggs to another bowl and beat them. Then, add the milk and mix.
Once the squash and onions are tender, drain them, and put them in a large bowl. Add half of the cracker mixture into the bowl and mix.
Pour the egg mixture into the bowl and mix.
Finally, pour the melted butter into the bowl and top with salt and pepper. Mix everything well.
Pour the casserole into a baking dish and top with the remainder of the cracker mixture.
Slice a few slivers of butter and place them on top of the casserole and bake for 30 minutes.
Can I make the dish ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the easy squash casserole the day before you plan to serve it. However, wait to add the crackers because they will soak up the liquid and be soft.
Holiday dishes to serve with squash casserole
- Jiffy cornbread with creamed corn is a great dish to serve with the squash.
- Broccoli cheese bake is loaded with cheese and topped with a pastry crust.
- Sweet potato casserole is the perfect combination of savory and sweet.
- Slow cooker glazed carrots is another dish that cooks while you’re doing something else.
- Roasted baby carrots are a great side dish that is super duper easy to make in the slow cooker.
Main dishes to serve with casserole
- Panko chicken is a budget-friendly meal to serve year-round.
- Pork chops in the air fryer is a great main dish packed with flavor.
- Baked pork chops and gravy is a wonderful dinner choice and it’s super easy to make.
Squash Casserole Recipe Card
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is a delicious side dish for the entire family and I think you’ll really love it.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your dish on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 4 cups yellow squash, sliced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 35 Ritz Crackers, crumbled
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. butter, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees and grease a large casserole dish.
- Cut the squash into 1/2-inch slices and add to a saucepan.
- Add the diced onion to the pan and pour the water into the saucepan. Cover with the lid and cook for about five minutes, or until the squash and onions are tender.
- Drain the squash and onions and add to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the cheddar cheese and crackers.
- Add half of the cracker and cheese mixture to the squash and mix.
- Next, add the eggs to a small bowl and beat.
- Add the milk into the bowl with the eggs, mix, and pour into the bowl with the squash.
- Finally, add the melted butter, salt, and pepper to the bowl and mix.
- Pour the squash into the casserole dish, cover with the remainder of the cracker mixture and add the slices of butter to the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown on the top.
You can use a 9" x 13" dish or a 7" x 11" dish. Either dish will work fine.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 556Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 164mgSodium: 1168mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 23g
Nutrition is approximate.