Cheesy Ham And Potatoes
Ham, potatoes, and cheese is a favorite meal around here. It’s perfect year-round, but especially on those cold days.
And, there’s nothing better than a hot cheesy meal with ham and potatoes to warm you up.
DISCLAIMER: This post is sponsored by the Iowa Pork Producers Association. As always, the opinions are honest and are all my own.
This is also a great meal to add veggies to. You can get some peas, broccoli, or your favorite veggie into the dish for a well-rounded supper for the family.
Plus, you can make it a day ahead of time or freeze it. Just pull it right out of the fridge or freezer and bake it.
Buying Pork For More Than Just A Meal
One of the things I love about this meal is that when you buy ham or any pork product, you are supporting farms all across America.
One-third of the pork, in the US, is raised in the state of Iowa. When you buy from the grocery store or a butcher shop, you are helping support those farms and families.
Farming has changed a lot since I was a kid spending time on my grandparent’s farm.
The Iowa Pork Producers Association and Iowa farmers are also invested in today’s youth by teaching leadership skills, offering contests, giving scholarships, and helping youth learn to take care of animals.
According to Iowapork.org, “Every day, the efforts of pig farmers and all those associated with pork production on Iowa farms and those across America demonstrate care and concern for how pork is produced.”
Cheesy Potatoes And Ham Ingredients
- Butter, melted
- Fully cooked, hickory-smoked ham
- Diced onion
- Diced hash brown potatoes
- Cream of chicken soup
- Cream of cheese soup
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make Ham And Potatoes
- Slice the ham into cubes and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and cream of cheese soup and mix well.
- Next, add the diced onions, salt, pepper, and mix well.
- Pour the butter into the bowl and mix well.
- Add the cubed ham, shredded cheddar cheese, and frozen cubed potatoes and mix until all of the potatoes are covered.
- Finally, pour the ingredients into a greased 9″ x 13″ baking dish and cover with tin foil.
- Cook for 30 minutes and remove the tin foil.
- Return the casserole to the oven and cook the ham and potato casserole 30 more minutes and serve.
Start by cutting up the ham and setting it to the side.
I bought a small two-pound pre-cooked ham and cut up about half of it, equalling three cups.
One of the great things about this dish is that you can switch it out with different types of pork including ground sausage, country ham, Italian sausage or top it with crumbled bacon.
It’s a very versatile dinner.
In a large bowl, add the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, cream of cheese soup, and diced onions.
Pour the butter into the bowl.
Add the diced ham to the bowl and mix well.
Finally, add the frozen cubed potatoes, salt, pepper, and shredded cheddar cheese and mix well.
Pour the ingredients into a greased 9″ x 13″ casserole dish and cover with tin foil.
Cook the ham and potato casserole for 30 minutes and remove the tin foil.
Return the casserole to the oven and cook 30 more minutes and serve.
Make-Ahead Ham And Cheese Casserole
The casserole can be made ahead and frozen or refrigerated.
If you freeze the casserole, simply make the meal, cover it with plastic wrap and tin foil, and freeze for up to a month.
When ready to bake, thaw it in the refrigerator for a day and cook.
Or, add the frozen meal to the oven and cook at least 30 minutes longer than the specified cooking time.
Be sure to check the center to make sure it cooked all the way through, before serving.
The meal can also be made a day ahead and kept in the refrigerator.
TIP: If you freeze the meal, be sure to remove the plastic wrap before cooking. I will write a note to remind myself on top of the tin foil, with a Sharpie marker, so I don’t forget.
More Delicious Pork Recipes
- Crock Pot sausage and peppers is an easy recipe to make and is ready at the end of the day.
- Cream cheese sausage balls are the perfect recipe for parties, football games, or potlucks.
- Slow cooker pork shoulder only takes a few minutes to get into the pot and cooking.
- Slow cooker pork chops and gravy has been a huge hit on the blog because it’s so flavorful and easy to make.
- Pork chops in the air fryer is a quick meal that turns out juicy and delicious every time.
Ham And Potato Casserole Recipe
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start creating! This is a wonderful and comforting dish at any time of year.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your dinner on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 1 stick (8 Tbsp.) butter, melted
- 3 cups cubed pre-cooked ham
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 - 10.5 oz. can condensed cream of cheese soup
- 1 - 10.5 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 - 32 oz. bag of diced hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups veggies (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees and grease a 9" x 13" casserole dish.
- Dice the ham into one to two-inch cubes and set aside.
- Add the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, cream of cheese soup, and diced onions to a large bowl.
- Pour the butter into the bowl and mix.
- Next, add the salt, pepper, cubed ham, shredded cheddar cheese, and frozen potatoes and mix.
- Pour the ingredients into the casserole dish and cover with tin foil.
- Cook for 30 minutes and remove the tin foil.
- Return the casserole to the oven and cook 30 more minutes and serve.
I bought a two-pound pre-cooked ham and diced about one pound of meat for the dish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.