Slow Cooker Au Gratin Potatoes
The potatoes au gratin are packed with flavorful ingredients including butter, cheddar cheese, sour cream, minced onion, and garlic salt.
What Ingredients Do I Need For The Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe?
- Garlic salt
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Minced onion
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
Slice the potatoes and layer them in the slow cooker. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper between the layers.
Grab a medium to large saucepan and add some butter and melt on medium heat. Once the butter melts, add the flour and mix it in with a whisk.
Pour the milk into the pan while whisking. Try to keep whisking until all of the lumps are gone.
Next, add the garlic salt and minced onion to the bowl and mix well. Cook until the sauce is thick.
The sauce will thicken fast–it doesn’t take long, so don’t go fold any laundry (like I always try to do) or anything like that.
Once the sauce thickens add the sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese to the bowl and combine.
Pour the sauce over the potatoes.
I take a spoon and move the potatoes around a little to get the sauce down between layers.
Replace the lid and cook the potatoes for three to four hours on high.
Once you start to see the edges brown and the potatoes are soft, the side dish is done.
Main Dishes That Are Perfect With Homemade Au Gratin Potatoes
- Baked chicken and gravy is not only super easy to make but tastes perfect alongside the au gratin potatoes.
- Ritz Cracker chicken casserole is a buttery, rich, and delicious recipe that tastes great with the potatoes on the side.
- Panko chicken is a breaded dish that offers a crunchy texture along with soft potatoes.
- Pork chops in the air fryer can be made quickly when you’re potatoes are almost done cooking for an easy dinner.
Scalloped Potatoes vs Au Gratin
What’s the difference between scalloped potatoes and au gratin? There are not really a lot of differences between the two.
Au gratin potatoes are usually cooked with cheese and scalloped are cooked in cream without the cheese.
Side Dishes That Go Along Great with Au Gratin Potatoes
- Jiffy corn pudding is great for another side dish because you get cornbread and corn all in one.
- Add your greens with broccoli cheese bake.
- Moist Jiffy cornbread is another great side dish to add to your dinner table.
- Corn fritters are easy to make and turn out delicious every time.
Slow cooker au gratin potatoes
Check out the slow cooker au gratin recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is a great meal for the family.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your side dish on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 5-6 cups sliced potatoes
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 6 Tbsp. flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1-1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. minced onion
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Slice the potatoes about 1/4-inch thick and layer into a greased slow cooker, sprinkling salt, and pepper in between.
- In a medium to large saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat.
- After the butter melts, add the flour and whisk.
- Pour the milk into the saucepan and whisk until the lumps are gone.
- Add the garlic salt and minced onion and mix. Cook the sauce until it thickens.
- Once the sauce thickens, add the sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour the sauce over the potatoes. Take a spoon and move the potatoes around a little to allow the sauce to flow down in between the potatoes.
- Replace the lid and cook on high for three to four hours or until the potatoes are soft.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 756Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 1148mgCarbohydrates: 117gFiber: 11gSugar: 7gProtein: 25g
Nutrition is approximate.