Christmas puppy chow is an easy treat to make with chocolate chips, peanut butter, powdered sugar, and Rice Chex cereal.
Puppy Chow Chex
The Chex dessert, also known as muddy buddies or reindeer chow, is super easy to make and perfect for snacking and parties.
I added green and red M&M’s to the puppy chow recipe for Christmas, but you can add any colors you’d like.
P.S. This is only for humans – not for dogs.
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Christmas Puppy Chow?
- Rice Chex cereal
- Chocolate Chips
- Creamy peanut butter
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post.
How To Make Puppy Chow
- Add the Chex cereal to a large bowl and set it aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter.
- Melt the chocolate chips in increments of 15 seconds, stirring in between.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the Chex cereal and toss with a spatula until all of the cereal is covered with the mixture.
- Add half of the powdered sugar to a large bag and scoop half of the Chex cereal into the bag.
- Shake the bag until the cereal is covered with powdered sugar.
- Spread the cereal out on a cookie sheet until the chocolate sets up.
- Repeat with the remainder of the powdered sugar and cereal.
- Add candies or pretzels to the mix and eat!
Pour the Rice Chex cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
In a medium-sized bowl, add the chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter to a bowl.
Next, add the butter and peanut butter to the bowl and microwave in increments of 15-seconds until melted, stirring in between.
It took about 45-seconds to melt the ingredients, but your microwave might be more or less powerful than mine, so start in 15-second increments.
Stirring in between each microwave session will help melt the ingredients, as well.
Add the vanilla extract to the mixture and mix it in.
Pour the melted chocolate over the cereal and mix until all of the cereal is covered.
Pour half of the powdered sugar into a large bag.
Next, add half of the cereal to the bag and gently shake it until all of the cereal is covered with powdered sugar.
To mix the cereal I use a gallon size bag. I only put in half of the powdered sugar and cereal because it makes it easier to shake and cover the cereal.
Spread the cereal out on a cookie sheet to let the chocolate firm up.
This step isn’t required, but I find it helps keep the cereal from sticking together and the chocolate has a chance to set up a little.
I let it sit there for about 15 minutes on the cookie sheet.
Other delicious holiday treats:
- Texas cowboy cookies combine a lot of delicious ingredients into one scrumptious cookie.
- Brownie mix cookies are super easy to make and include rich and decadent ingredients.
- Christmas wreath cookies are fun for the kids to make (I loved making these as a kid) and are a festive treat for the holidays.
- We make this old fashioned fudge recipe with peanut butter every year. It’s a great gift for teachers, friends, neighbors, and all those fun folks that work in the office at your kid’s and grandkid’s school.
- Christmas crack is soooo amazingly good. The dessert is made out of melted brown sugar and butter, buttery crackers, melted chocolate, and pecans for a rich and addictive dessert.
Christmas puppy chow recipe card
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start creating! This is a fun snack and I think you’ll really love it.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your treat on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 9 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup M&M's candies
- Start by adding the Rice Chex cereal to a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter to a medium-sized bowl.
- Melt the chocolate ingredients in the microwave in increments of 15-seconds, stirring in between. It should take approximately 45-seconds to melt the ingredients.
- Add the vanilla extract to the bowl and mix.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the Rice Chex cereal and stir until all of the cereal is covered with chocolate.
- In a large bag, add half of the powdered sugar. Scoop half of the cereal into the bag and shake until it's coated.
- Spread the cereal out on a cookie sheet to set up for about 15 minutes.
- Repeat the process with the remainder of the powdered sugar and cereal.
- Add the candies to the bowl, mix, and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 172mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 3g
Nutrition is approximate.