Halloween Muddy Buddies are a delicious treat to share with party guests. The dessert, also called puppy chow, is super easy to make and serves a crowd. The muddy buddy recipe only requires a few ingredients and takes less than 20 minutes to make.
This recipe and post were created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! Sponsor companies sent me samples, but as always opinions are 100% mine.
There are many more bloggers joining in the fun, so be sure to scroll down and find links to their blogs, as well.
You can also enter #HalloweenTreatsWeek into any social platform and you’ll find the desserts that we’re making this week!
For this recipe I used products from Dixie Crystals, Adams Extract, and Sweets & Treats.
Muddy buddies, or puppy chow, are a great treat, mainly because you can use them at any party and for any holiday by changing out the extra candies.
For Halloween, I used candy corn to add some traditional candy and I added some cute pumpkin and bat candy to the mix from Sweets and Treats.
Sweets & Treats also sent the orange and black treat cups that the muddy buddies are in and they are the perfect size to fill up and give to guests at your party.What ingredients do I need to make Halloween muddy buddies?
(Full ingredient list and directions at the bottom of the post).
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Creamy peanut butter
- Chex Mix
- Gallon size Ziplock Bags
- Powdered Sugar
- Halloween candy
- Candy corn
- Large bowl
- Small containers
Don’t you love the little bats and pumpkin candy from Sweets and Treats?
How do I make muddy buddies?
- Measure out and pour the Chex Mix into a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter to a medium-sized bowl.
- Place in the microwave and melt for about one minute. Stir until melted. Add the ingredients back to the microwave, in increments of ten seconds, if it needs to melt more.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the Chex Mix and gently stir until all of the cereal is coated.
- Scoop half of the Chex Mix into a Ziplock bag and add half of the powdered sugar. Shake gently until all of the cereal is covered.
- Spread out onto a cookie sheet. Repeat with the other half of the muddy buddies.
- Let it sit out for about half an hour.
- Add the muddy buddies to a large bowl and add the candy corn and Halloween candies and stir.
Recipe and printable instructions listed below
Start by adding the chocolate chips to a medium-sized bowl.
Next, add the butter to the bowl.
Now, add the peanut butter to the bowl. Melt in the microwave for about one minute.
After melting the ingredients, add the vanilla extract to the bowl.
Stir the ingredients until everything is melted.
Sometimes you will need to stir the chocolate for a minute or so and it will melt more.
If it needs to melt more, put the bowl back in the microwave in increments of 10 seconds.
Pour the melted chocolate over the Chex Mix and stir it until everything is covered.
Add some powdered sugar to a large Ziplock bag.
Place half of the Halloween Muddy Buddies into the bag and shake it gently until all of the cereal is covered.
Repeat a second time with the remainder of the muddy buddies.
Spread the Halloween muddy buddies out on a covered cookie sheet to allow the chocolate to harden a little.
I leave them out on the counter for about 30 minutes and that’s usually enough time. If you’re in a hurry, you can pop them in the refrigerator for about 10 or 15 minutes.
Finally, add the candy corn, pumpkins, and bats to the mix and toss. Then, scoop into cups for serving.
What are muddy buddies made of?
Muddy buddies are made of chocolate chips, butter, peanut butter, Chex Mix, and powdered sugar. They only take a few minutes to make and there’s no baking required.
Why is it called puppy chow?
Because the dessert tends to resemble puppy chow.
Does Puppy Chow need to be refrigerated?
Puppy chow does not need to be refrigerated, but it will keep longer if kept in the fridge.
Check out the Halloween Muddy Buddies recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start creating! This is a great Halloween dessert for kids and parties and I think you’ll really love it.
Then, share your comments below and click here to share a picture of your muddy buddies on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share with us so we can try it, too!
Connect with Back To My Southern Roots
I shared with one of the girls we drove home from school and she was so excited to get homemade muddy buddies and loved the recipe.
- 9 cups Chex Mix cereal
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Halloween candy
- Candy corn
- Pour 9 cups of Chex Mix into a large bowl.
- Add the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter to a medium-sized bowl and microwave for one minute.
- Stir until melted. If not quite melted, place back in the microwave and heat again, in increments of 10 seconds, until melted.
- Pour over the Chex Mix and gently stir until all of the cereal is coated.
- Add half of the powdered sugar into a large Ziplock bag and scoop half of the muddy buddies into the bag. Close it up and gently shake until all of the muddy buddies are covered.
- Lay out on a cookie sheet covered with tinfoil. Repeat step five with the second half of the powdered sugar and Chex Mix.
- Let is cool for about 30 minutes. Add back into the large bowl and toss with candy corn and Halloween candy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 556 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 593mg Carbohydrates: 88g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 45g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g
Check out the amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- Chocolate Candy Witch Cauldrons from Big Bear’s Wife
- Candy Corn Fudge from Fake Ginger
- Candy Corn Layer Cake from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candy Corn Cookie Bars from 4 Sons R Us
- Halloween Potato Eyes from Pastry Chef Online
- Monster Munch Chex Party Mix from I am a Honey Bee
- Gluten Free Chocolate Monster Cookies from Frugal & Fit
- Caramel Sprinkle Baked Donuts from Cookaholic Wife
- Ghostly Popcorn Balls from Our Good Life
- Hocus Pocus Spell Book Brownies from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Mummy Cake Pops from Jen Around the World
- Zombie Chocolate Donuts from Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Black Cauldron Bubbly Cupcakes from Daily Dish Recipes
- Boolicious Caramel Chocolate Covered Fruit from Everyday Eileen
- Jack-o-Lantern Candy Bark from Sweet Beginnings
- Caramel Apple Blossoms from For the Love of Food
- Monster Marshmallows from Shockingly Delicious
- Halloween Muddy Buddies from Back To My Southern Roots
- Mummy Crinkle Cookies from Creative Southern Home
- Sally’s Sugar Cookies from The Spiffy Cookie
- Eyeball Thumbprint Cookies from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Eye of Newt Halloween Wands from Who Needs A Cape?
- Halloween Brownie Pudding Parfait from Desserts Required
- Halloween No Bake Cheesecake from Lemon Blossoms
- Halloween Dipped Ice Cream Cones from West Via Midwest
- Pumpkin Soup with Savory Spices and Roasted Pumpkin Seeds from Nancie’s Table
- Halloween Stuffed Chocolate Whoopie Pies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Death by Chocolate Dessert Ball from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Jack o Lantern Bundt Cake from The Redhead Baker
- Frankenstein Cupcake Cake from Jonesin’ For Taste
- Chocolate Truffle Pumpkin Spider Cake from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Spooky Sprinkled Brownies from The Beard and The Baker
- Halloween Candy Charcuterie Board from Pint Sized Baker
- Halloween Monster Buttermilk Pancakes from Katie’s Cucina
- Sugar Skull Layer Cake from Love and Confections
- Mummy Meringue Pops from My Sweet Zepol
- Halloween Hidden Bat Loaf Cat from Savory Moments
- Vegan Halloween Cookies & Cream Fault Line Cake from The Baking Fairy
- Halloween Corn Chip Dessert Bars from Intelligent Domestications
- Oogie Boogie Meringue Cupcakes from A Blender Mom
- Smores Ghost Brownies from Books n’ CooksHappy Halloween! It’s October which means it’s time for Spooky Season and this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 2nd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 41 fantastically talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! There are going to be over 160 Halloween themed recipes shared during this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek and we can’t wait for you to see them all! Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Plus, don’t forget that we have 6 (six) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away a “Dinner and Dessert Set” – ONE 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker, a Pyrex mixing bowl set plus some fun Dixie Crystals items like a Dixie Crystal Apron and Cookbook!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including 4oz Adams Best, 1.5 oz Peppermint, 1.5oz Almond, 1 bottle vanilla cinnamon sugar, 1 bottle pumpkin pie spice
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Texturra 7-Piece Bakeware Set
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away a large baking box of goodies! Sweets and Treats will send one lucky winner a large assortment of sprinkles and lines and other samples of their products!
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a set of Holiday Treat Decorations (1 Gummy Assortment, 1 Marshmallow Snowman, 1 Toy Solider and 1 Gingerbread Men)
Prize # 6– Litehouseis giving away the following: 1 Litehouse® Honeycrisp Apple Cider, 1 Litehouse® Old Fashioned Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Pumpkin Spice Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Butterscotch Caramel & 1 Litehouse® Chocolate Dip, Snack Packs
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 7th – October 13th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 6 (six) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 6 (six) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop, Treat Street USA and Litehouse! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.