Cinnamon Coffee Cake with Buttermilk is the perfect dessert year-round. This is an easy coffee cake recipe from scratch with a brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg topping.
Coffee cake isn’t the same without the classic streusel topping. It’s a simple recipe with great results.
Coffee Cake Without Sour Cream
Coffee cake is often made with sour cream and there are a lot of people that just don’t like the flavor.
This recipe is made without the sour cream, and the cake comes out just as moist and delicious as ever.
Coffee cake is such a great dessert for parties. I’m guessing that you’ve probably got most, if not all, of the ingredients already in your cupboard.
And the buttermilk adds a rich flavor and keeps the cake moist.
Coffee Cake Crumble
Most cakes have a frosting or icing on top, such as pound cake or birthday cake. But, coffee cake usually has a streusel crumbled mixture on top.
Icing can also be drizzled across the streusel.
This cinnamon coffee cake recipe includes nutmeg which always reminds me of fall. It’s a delicious side treat to a pumpkin latte or a nice steaming cup of coffee.
And let me tell you, this is a super moist recipe. It wasn’t too heavy or too dense. It’s a lighter version of the typical crumb coffee cake recipe.
What Ingredients Do I Need For The Coffee Cake Recipe?
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Butter (softened)
- Brown sugar
- Brown sugar
- Ground nutmeg
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make Coffee Cake With Buttermilk
- Grease an 8″ x 10″ baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and mix. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the softened butter and mix until creamy.
- Next, add the brown and white sugar to the bowl with the butter and cream.
- Add the eggs, one-at-a-time, and mix well.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk and mix until it is all combined.
- Finally, add the vanilla extract, mix, and pour the cake into the baking pan.
- For the streusel, add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a bowl and whisk together.
- Sprinkle it over the cake mixture and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350-degrees or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon to a medium-sized bowl, mix together, and set aside.
In a separate large bowl, add the butter to the mixer and cream.
If you’re like me and forget to set the butter on the counter for a while so it can soften, you can go on and place it in the mixer and cream it for a little longer.
Add the sugar to the butter mixture and mix again.
Next, add the brown sugar to the butter mixture and mix until creamy.
Then, add one egg at a time to the butter mixture and mix until they are well blended.
Alternate adding the buttermilk and the flour mix to the butter mixture until everything is incorporated.
TIP: I always stop and scrape down the sides so I get every bit of the ingredients mixed in. I can smell the cinnamon at this point and it’s such a wonderful smell.
Add the vanilla and give it one last mix before pouring it into the baking dish.
Pour the coffee cake batter into a greased baking dish and set aside.
Coffee Cake Streusel Crumb Topping
In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Sprinkle the crumbled streusel mixture over the top of the coffee cake. Spread it gently with your hands evenly across the top of the cake.
Bake for about 30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Y’all are going to love this Cinnamon Coffee Cake with Buttermilk.
Additional Cake Recipes:
- German chocolate cake is a moist and flavorful cake with a buttery homemade coconut frosting.
- Red velvet bundt cake is a dreamy, colorful, and tasty cake that is always perfect for any occasion.
- Brown sugar pound cake has a butter pecan glaze that is out-of-this-world. Believe me, you will want this dessert at every gathering.
- Brownie cake is a decadent, dense, and rich cake that is easy to throw together and bake. It’s topped with a rich chocolatey icing.
- Chocolate poke cake made with creamy chocolate pudding is an easy recipe to make and everyone will love it. It’s fluffy, moist, and so full of flavor.
- Slow cooker chocolate cake is a fun way to make cake, and it comes out fudgy and decadent. Add a scoop of ice cream and you will be everyone’s best friend.
- And, if you love coconut, give this pina colada cake, from Jennifer over at Plowing Through Life, a try.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2/3 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
Grease a 8" x 10" baking dish.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon to a medium-sized bowl. Mix and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the softened butter and cream.
- Add the sugar and brown sugar and cream together for about one minute.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix together.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk until well blended.
- Add the vanilla and mix again.
- Pour into a greased baking dish.
- Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a small bowl and mix together.
- Shake the streusel over the cake mixture and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.