Decadent Chocolate Cake
Chocolate brownie cake is part of #Summerdessertweek 2020, so be sure to read through the steps, grab the recipe, and check out all of the other recipes at the bottom of the post for this year’s event.
You really couldn’t ask for an easier dessert cake to make. It turns out dense, moist, and absolutely divine. And, it’s topped with a rich and super easy chocolate icing.
My son told me it was the perfect cake, but I should have doubled the amount of icing because he loved it so much.
What Do I Need To Make the Brownie Cake Recipe?
- Butter, melted
- Powdered sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract
Full printable recipe with measurements and directions listed at the bottom of the post.
How Do I Make the Brownie Cake?
- For the cake, add the cake and brownie mixes to a large bowl.
- Next, add the water, vegetable oil, and eggs, and mix well.
- Pour into a greased bundt pan and bake for about 55 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- For the icing, add the powdered sugar and unsweetened cocoa to a medium-sized bowl.
- Next, add the melted butter, warm water, and vanilla extract and mix until well blended.
- Pour over the cake and serve.
Brownie Cake Recipe
Start the recipe by adding the boxed cake mix to a large bowl.
Next, add the boxed brownie mix to the bowl.
Pour the vegetable oil into the bowl.
Now, pour the water into the bowl.
Add the eggs to the bowl and mix well.
Pour the cake into a greased bundt cake pan and bake for 55 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
When the brownie cake is done baking, allow it to cool for at least 20 minutes. The cake will pull away from the sides as it bakes, making it a little easier to get it out of the pan.
I always take a knife and slide it down the sides and in the center of the pan to make sure it’s not sticking to the sides.
I then place a cake stand or a plate over the top and flip it over. It should come out easily.
Now, you can get started on your icing.
Homemade Chocolate Icing
Start by adding the powdered sugar and the unsweetened cocoa to a medium-sized bowl.
Next, pour the vanilla extract into the bowl.
Followed by the melted butter.
And finish with the warm water. Then mix everything together and pour it on the cake.
TIP: Start off with two tablespoons of warm water. If the icing is too thick, add another tablespoon of water and mix.
The icing covers quite a bit of the cake, but if you’d like to completely cover it, you can double the recipe.
- 1 - 15.25 oz. box chocolate cake mix
- 1 - 18 oz. box brownie mix
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 2 Tbps. warm water (add more if too thick)
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees and grease a bundt cake pan.
- Start by adding the box cake and brownie mixes to a large bowl.
- Add the vegetable oil, water, and eggs and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the bundt pan and bake for approximately 55 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Add the powdered sugar and unsweetened cocoa to a medium-sized bowl.
- Next, add the melted butter, vanilla extract, and water, and mix until well blended.
- Pour over the cooled cake.
TIP: Start by adding two tablespoons of water to the icing. If the icing is too thick, add more water to thin the recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g
Nutrition is approximate.
- Berry Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches from Our Sutton Place
- Easy Funfetti Cake Batter Cookie Bars from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- 7 Up Pound Cake from Savory Experiments
- Brownie Cake from Back To My Southern Roots
- Chocolate Cherry Cake Roll from Sweet Beginnings
- Pina Colada Cake from It’s Shanaka
- Easy Summer Beach Themed Cupcakes from Blogghetti
- Strawberry Shortcake Fudge from Sweet ReciPEAs
- No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Pie from The Spiffy Cookie
- Mixed Berry Mini Cobblers from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Tart Cherry Galette from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes from Big Bear’s Wife
- Blueberry Hand Pies from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures