It is easy to make with homemade whipped topping, sweet crumbly biscuit cake, and fresh strawberries.
Classic Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
It’s strawberry season down here and Florida and they are aplenty.
My youngest wanted to go to a local farm and pick some strawberries, so we headed out of town to the closest local one and picked away.
We came home with a bushel of freshly picked strawberries, a few jalapeños, and some eggplant.
The kids had a great time and we fed some cows and came home to make something fresh, tasty, and springy.
We all need some spring after the cold harsh winters throughout most of the country.
And, this is such an easy dessert recipe that everyone will love.
What Ingredients Do I Need For The Easy Strawberry Dessert?
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Heavy cream
- Vanilla extract
Full printable recipe with measurements and full instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make Strawberry Shortcake
- Cut the strawberries into quarters and sprinkle the sugar over the top.
- Refrigerate the strawberries for at least 30 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Next, add the sugar and heavy cream to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Press into a square baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Allow it to cool.
- For the whipped cream grab a separate bowl and add the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract and mix with the hand mixer until fluffy.
- Slice a piece of the cake and place the bottom half of it on a plate.
- Layer starting with the bottom of the cake, strawberries, whipped cream, the top of the cake, whipped cream, and strawberries.
Don’t you love those bright red berries?
Fresh Strawberries vs. Frozen Strawberries
In this case, we used fresh strawberries. If you don’t have access to fresh strawberries you can purchase frozen and let them thaw for at least one hour before adding the sugar.
When we picked the strawberries (we came home with quite a lot), we washed the extras, cut them up, added them to small Ziplocks, and froze them.
My husband likes to add strawberries to his cereal in the morning and he can take a bag out of the freezer the day before and place it into the refrigerator.
If you plan to wait a day to use the fresh strawberries, either leave them on the counter to ripen a little or put them in the fridge before washing them off.
If you leave them on the counter, they will get more red and sweet.
But, don’t leave them out for more than a day or so because they will spoil fast.
Water can spoil a strawberry fast, so wait to wash and cut until you’re ready to use them in the recipe.
Scroll down to find out how to store fresh strawberries.
Start by removing the stems and cutting up the strawberries. Add them to a medium bowl.
Sprinkle the sugar on top and place it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Stir the strawberries a couple of times while they are in the refrigerator.
Strawberry Shortcake Cake Recipe
Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl. For this cake recipe, I sifted all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder.
Add the sugar.
Pour the heavy cream into the flour mixture and mix well.
Press the dough into an 8″ x 8″ square baking pan.
The dough will be very sticky.
You don’t need to spray with non-stick spray, as it doesn’t stick to the pan.
Bake for 20-25 minutes and allow the cake to cool for about 15-20 minutes.
The cake is a bit crumbly, so wait to cut the piece until you’re ready to eat it. And, it tastes fantastic while it’s still a little warm.
Homemade Whipped Cream
Homemade whipped cream is nothing short of amazing.
I am all about easy recipes, so if you’d like to use some store-bought whipped cream you can. It tastes great, too.
But, if you add five extra minutes you can have some pretty amazing whipped cream to the shortcake.
Pour the heavy cream into a large glass bowl.
Next, add the sugar.
Finally, add the vanilla extract to the bowl. Vanilla is going to help bring out the flavors in the whipped cream.
Mix with a hand mixer for a few minutes until you have stiff peaks.
Sometimes it seems like the whipped cream is not going fluff up and then suddenly there it is.
The Basic Layout
Slice the cake in half and add the bottom piece to a plate.
Spoon the strawberry mixture on top of the cake.
Add a large dollop of whipped cream.
Put the top of the cake on.
Add more strawberries and whipped cream, and finish with a couple of strawberries on top.
Strawberry shortcake is one of those desserts that you can add ice cream instead of whipped cream (or both if you’d like).
We always used to buy the little cakes from the grocery store, but I sure like the warm homemade cake instead.
Other delicious desserts
- No-bake eclair cake is one of those desserts that’s super simple to make. It only requires a few ingredients, and it’s super tasty.
- Easy no-bake pineapple lush is another great dessert that features layers of cream cheese, powdered sugar, coconut, and fresh pineapple.
- Berry icebox cake is another no-bake dessert that features blueberries, strawberries, vanilla pudding, cream cheese, graham crackers, and whipped cream.
- If you love homemade whipped cream, give this chocolate layer dessert a try. It’s a popular recipe on the blog and Facebook.
- We love easy recipes around here and brownie mix cookies are super simple and so decadent.
- Pineapple dump cake is a great addition to any dessert table and it only requires three ingredients.
- If you have some extra strawberries, Debby over at Southern Home Express has a great recipe for no-churn strawberry ice cream.
Storing Fresh Strawberries
If you plan to get fresh strawberries, they will not last long. You can either leave them on the counter for a couple of days while they continue to ripen or refrigerate them.
If you leave them on the counter, place them in a container that will allow the air to flow through so they will not rot. Do not rinse them–wait to rinse when you are ready to eat the strawberries.
Water tends to spoil the strawberries faster.
If you plan to put them in the refrigerator, place them in an open container where the air can flow through.
But, if you cut them, you will need to place them in an airtight container or they will rot faster.
Strawberries don’t last long, so be sure to eat them within a couple of days.
The Best Strawberry Shortcake
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start creating! This is a wonderful dessert and everyone will love it!
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your strawberry shortcake on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 1 1/2 pounds strawberries
- 5 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, cold
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Rinse the strawberries, cut the stems off, and cut them into quarters.
- Add to a medium bowl and cover with 5 tablespoons of sugar. Stir and place in the refrigerator. Stir at least twice while in the fridge.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and add to a bowl.
- Next, add the sugar and heavy cream and mix well.
- Place dough in an 8" x 8" square baking dish. Do NOT grease the dish.
- Bake at 400-degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form (it will take a few minutes).
- Cut the cake and place a piece on a plate. Slice the piece in half and spoon some of the strawberry mixture on top.
- Next, add some whipped cream, the top of the cake, strawberries, whipped cream, and a couple more strawberries.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 662Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 540mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 3gSugar: 26gProtein: 8g
Nutrition is approximate.