Strawberry chess squares are a decadent and rich dessert, are an easy recipe to make, and turn out delicious every time.
The chess squares ingredients include strawberry cake, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, crushed strawberries, and cream cheese for a rich and sweet dessert.Chess squares are one of the best dessert recipes and it never fails that people beg for the recipe when I bring them along somewhere.
I know the statement above makes it sounds like I bring them around with me in the car for snacks. Well, I’m tempted, and I’ve been known to do things like that.
But, for the most part, I like to take strawberry chess squares places like church, or the kid’s school because a pan of these yummy desserts goes a long way.
The chess squares are super decadent and rich and you’ll be thankful the recipe is right at the bottom of this post.
I love the gooey center and crackly top combination–it’s pretty amazing.
Strawberry Chess Squares Ingredients
(Full recipe and printable instructions listed below)
- Strawberry cake mix
- Butter softened
- Cream cheese softened
- Vanilla extract
- Crushed strawberries
- Powdered sugar
How Do I Make the Strawberry Chess Squares Recipe?
- Start by preheating the oven to 350-degrees.
- Mix the one egg, butter, and cake mix in a medium-sized bowl until well blended and then press into a greased 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- In another medium-sized bowl, mix the softened cream cheese, three eggs, vanilla extract, crushed strawberries, and the powdered sugar until creamy.
- Pour over the cake and bake for 40 to 50 minutes at 350-degrees.
- Allow the chess squares to cool for at least one hour. Cut and serve.
Firstly, add the cake mix, one egg, and the softened butter to the bowl.
Secondly, mix until everything is well blended with a hand mixer or stand mixer; however, you can mix the ingredients by hand, but it will just take a few minutes longer.
You can also use a yellow cake mix for this step, which is what regular chess squares call for, but I like the added flavor from the strawberry cake mix, so that is what I added.
Thirdly, press the cake mixture into the bottom of a greased 9″ x 13″ casserole baking dish.
Don’t forget to grease the pan, otherwise, it will stick like glue. The edges of the chess bars get sort of chewy, which I love, but tend to stick to the side of the dish and it’s not fun to clean it off if you forget to grease it.
Start by adding the softened cream cheese and three eggs to a medium-sized bowl.
Secondly, add the vanilla extract and crushed strawberries to the bowl.
Thirdly, add the powdered sugar to the bowl and mix until well blended.
Fourthly, pour the cream cheese mixture over the top of the cake mixture and bake for 40 to 50 minutes at 350-degrees.
Check with a cake tester after the 40 minutes and if it comes out covered in mixture, it needs to cook a little longer. Once the recipe is done, it will still have a tad bit of mixture on the cake tester.
The top will be golden brown and crackly.
Once you remove the chess squares from the oven, allow them to cool for at least one hour before slicing.
Do Chess squares need to be refrigerated?
Yes, chess bars need to be refrigerated because they contain cream cheese. The bars will hold up better and are easier to cut when refrigerated, as well.
Check out the strawberry chess squares card below, grab those ingredients, and start baking! I love this recipe and I think you’ll love this one, too.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your strawberry chess squares on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us.
Connect with Back To My Southern Roots
- 1 - 15 oz. box strawberry cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 stick (8 Tbsp) butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup crushed strawberries
- 16 oz. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees and grease a 9" x 13" casserole dish.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the strawberry cake mix, one egg, and the softened butter until well blended.
- Press into the bottom of the casserole dish.
- In another medium-sized bowl, add the three eggs, cream cheese, crushed strawberries, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar and mix until well blended.
- Pour over the cake and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the cake tester comes out mostly clean.
- Allow to cool for at least one hour before cutting.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 32 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 19gProtein: 2g
Nutrition is approximate.
Check out more delicious recipes at: