Strawberry chess squares, aka strawberry chess bars, are a decadent and rich dessert, are an easy recipe to make, and turn out delicious every time.
I can’t emphasize enough how easy the recipe is to make. And, when strawberry season hits you will be ready to make these.
A Chewy Strawberry Bar
The chess squares ingredients include strawberry cake, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, crushed strawberries, and cream cheese for a rich and sweet dessert.
Chess squares are one of the best dessert recipes and it never fails that people beg for the recipe when I bring them along somewhere.
I know the statement above makes it sounds like I bring strawberry chess squares around with me in the car for snacks. Well, I’m tempted, and I’ve been known to do things like that.
But, for the most part, I like to take strawberry chess squares places like church, or the kid’s school because a pan of these yummy desserts goes a long way.
The chess squares are super decadent and rich and you’ll be thankful the recipe is right at the bottom of this post.
I love the gooey center and crackly top combination–it’s one of those great recipes that everyone falls in love with.
Strawberry Chess Squares Ingredients
For this recipe, you only need a few simple ingredients including dry cake mix, butter, cream cheese, and a couple of other ingredients. You most likely already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen.
- Strawberry cake mix
- Butter softened
- Cream cheese softened
- Vanilla extract
- Crushed strawberries
- Powdered sugar
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How Do I Make the Strawberry Chess Squares Recipe?
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the one egg, butter, and cake mix in a medium-sized bowl until well blended and then press into a greased 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- In another medium-sized bowl, mix the softened cream cheese, three eggs, vanilla extract, crushed strawberries, and the powdered sugar until creamy.
- Pour over the cake and bake for 40 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Allow the chess squares to cool for at least one hour. Cut and serve.
Firstly, add the cake mix, one egg, and the softened butter to the bowl.
I used an electric mixer for the recipe. You can use either a hand mixer or a stand mixer as both will work great.
However, you can mix the ingredients by hand, but it will just take a few minutes longer.
Secondly, mix until everything is well blended.
You can also use a yellow cake mix for this step, which is what regular chess squares call for, but I like the added flavor from the strawberry cake mix, so that is what I added.
Thirdly, press the cake mixture into the bottom of a greased 9″ x 13″ casserole baking dish. Try to get an even layer across the bottom.
Don’t forget to grease the pan, otherwise, it will stick like glue. The edges of the chess bars get sort of chewy, which I love, but tend to stick to the side of the dish and it’s not fun to clean it off if you forget to grease it.
You can also line the cake pan with parchment paper, as well. That comes in handy when you want to lift the bars out of the pan.
Start by adding the softened cream cheese and three eggs to a medium-sized bowl.
Secondly, add the vanilla extract and crushed strawberries to the bowl.
Thirdly, add the powdered sugar to the bowl.
Mix until well blended.
Fourthly, pour the cream cheese mixture over the top of the cake mixture and bake for 40 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
Check with a cake tester after the 40 minutes and if it comes out covered in mixture, it needs to cook a little longer. Once the recipe is done, it will still have a tad bit of mixture on the cake tester.
The top will be golden brown and crackly.
Once you remove the chess squares from the oven, allow them to cool for at least one hour before slicing.
Do Chess Squares Need To Be Refrigerated?
Yes, chess bars need to be refrigerated because they contain cream cheese. The bars will hold up better and are easier to cut when refrigerated, as well.
More Delicious Desserts
- Red velvet cake mix cookies with white chocolate chips don’t take a long time to make. They are rich, decadent, bright, and cheerful!
- Chocolate chess pie is seriously good stuff. It’s a very old recipe and one that everyone loves.
- Southern bread pudding is topped with brown sugar and pecans for a wonderfully delicious dessert.
- Homemade strawberry jam without pectin is an easy recipe and one that you will want to keep.
- Strawberry cookie cups from Mom Loves Baking is a great dessert to add to your party table.
There’s nothing better than fresh strawberries in a dessert, and this is one sweet treat.
If you love gooey bars, you will love this recipe.
- 15 ounce box strawberry cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 8 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup crushed strawberries
- 16 ounces powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees and grease a 9" x 13" casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the strawberry cake mix, one egg, and the softened butter until well blended.
- Press into the bottom of the casserole dish.
- In another medium-sized bowl, add the three eggs, cream cheese, crushed strawberries, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar and mix until well blended.
- Pour over the cake and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the cake tester comes out mostly clean.
- Allow to cool for at least one hour before cutting.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inch
KitchenAid 606354-KHM512HT Hot Sauce 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo, Set of 8
Duralex 100009 Made In France Lys Stackable 9-Piece Bowl Set
Nutrition Information:Yield: 32 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 19gProtein: 2g
Nutrition is approximate.