Satisfy your craving for Mexican food any night of the week with this family favorite!
My easy Mexican cornbread casserole with ground beef is a great way to fill everyone up and get dinner on the table without a fuss.
A Very Flavorful Dish
It features a cornbread layer on top with a flavorful ground beef mixture below, seasoned with Mexican spices.
Best of all, it only takes a few ingredients to put it all together for an epic dinner everyone is going to want you to make again and again!
A Casserole Dish the Whole Family Will Love
When you make a hearty dinner, you’re less likely to hear that telltale rummaging through the pantry later on.
You know, when your kids complain they’re hungry and have to eat ALL the snacks.
But this one-dish meal has you covered in numerous ways.
For one, it’s got flavorful cornbread on top that no one can resist. For another, it checks off all the boxes for Mexican flavors that everyone loves.
And yes, it’s a one-dish meal that will make cleanup a breeze.
It’s a comforting and satisfying casserole, and you really don’t need much else with it except perhaps a fresh green salad or veggie side dish.
You can browse my collection for other recipes you can throw together in a flash to go along with this yummy casserole to make your dinner complete.
Ingredients for The Mexican Beef Casserole
Ground Beef Casserole
- Ground beef
- Minced garlic
- Minced onion
- Taco seasoning
- Whole kernel corn
- Refried beans
- Rotel with diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Vegetable oil
- Sour cream
Full printable recipe card with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make The Easy Mexican Cornbread Casserole With Ground Beef
- Cook the ground beef, onions, and garlic. Drain the grease and return the meat to the skillet.
- Next, add the taco seasoning, corn, refried beans, and Rotel, and mix well.
- Pour the meat mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish and spread out.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top of the meat mixture.
- For the cornbread, add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Next, add the milk, sour cream, and vegetable oil and mix well.
- Pour the cornbread mixture over the meat mixture and spread out.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the cornbread is done baking.
Step-By-Step Instructions For How to Make My Easy Mexican Cornbread Casserole Recipe
Start by adding the ground beef to a large saucepan.
For this recipe, you can use regular ground beef, lean ground beef, or ground turkey.
Sprinkle the minced onion and garlic into the pan. Cook the three ingredients on medium heat. Drain the grease when done.
Add the Rotel, corn, and taco seasoning and mix well.
Next, add the can of refried beans to the saucepan and mix well.
Spread the meat mixture inside a greased casserole dish and sprinkle the Mexican cheese blend over the top.
Add the flour and cornmeal to a large mixing bowl.
Add the baking powder and salt to the bowl.
Pour the milk into the bowl.
Next, pour the vegetable oil into the bowl.
Add the sour cream and egg and mix the ingredients.
Pour the cornbread batter over the meat mixture and spread out.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the cornbread is done and golden brown on top.
If you don’t have refried beans or you aren’t fond of them, you can swap those for black beans. And if cream-style corn is the only one you’ve got in your pantry, that will work too.
As for toppings, I love to set out some more Mexican cheese blend, shredded cheddar cheese, and sour cream.
- Chopped bell pepper
- Green onions
- Sliced black olives
- Pickled jalapeños
- Chili powder to make it a little spicy.
- Red pepper flakes
- Cream corn
Letting everyone add what they like will make them happy and turn your busy weeknight into a proper fiesta.
How To Store The Casserole
Easy Mexican Cornbread Casserole With Ground Beef Recipe Card
This is a wonderful recipe when you need a full meal on a busy night.
It’s the kind of easy recipe that works wonders when your kids invite friends over without telling you to.
Full of bold and zesty flavors, it’s always a hit every time I serve it. I know you’re going to put this in your weekly menu rotation after everyone in your house goes wild for it!
Ground Beef Casserole
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon minced onion
- 1 ounce package of taco seasoning
- 15.25 can of whole kernel corn, drained
- 16 ounce can of refried beans
- 10 ounce can of Rotel with diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup of shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 egg
Ground Beef Casserole
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish.
- Brown ground beef in a skillet with minced onion and garlic. Drain the grease.
- Next, add the taco seasoning, corn, refried beans, and Rotel and mix.
- Pour into the casserole dish and spread out.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the ground beef mixture.
- Add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Next, add the milk, vegetable oil, sour cream, and egg and mix.
- Spread the cornbread batter over the top of the meat mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown.
Some people like to sprinkle more shredded cheese over the top of the cornbread just before it finishes cooking.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 682Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 944mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 43g
Nutrition is approximate.
Hi there! I’m Julie Pollitt from ‘Back To My Southern Roots.’ My love for cooking started way back on my grandparents’ farm in Tennessee. Those sunny days, the smell of biscuits in the oven, and all the family fun really sparked my passion for cooking. On my blog, I share more than just recipes – they’re like stories from my life, full of Southern warmth and homey goodness. The best part? Whether you’re just starting out or you’re a kitchen pro, you’ll find my recipes super easy to whip up. So, come on, pull up a chair, and let’s make some delicious memories!