This easy ground beef pot pie recipe is the perfect hearty, easy meal for the entire family.
The recipe features delicious ingredients that are healthy and that everyone will love.
Delicious Comfort Food
Beef pot pie is such a great recipe for dinner time because it’s comfort food at its finest, with a buttery pie crust and plenty of meat.
You can also turn this into a dinner for two and have leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day, and you can make this delicious one-dish casserole recipe with hamburger meat, chicken, ground turkey, lean ground beef, or stew meat.
I love pot pies. It’s like a whole lotta goodness tucked into a neat little–or in this case, a big–package that’s easy to cook.
There are two things I can promise you about this meal:
It’s easy to make. It’s filling to eat.
A Large Pot Pie Recipe
I ate a large piece of the pot pie recipe, my husband ate three, and the kids each ate one piece and we still had leftovers.
The great thing about the pot pie is that you don’t need to set aside a lot of time to prepare it.
I cooked the beef and boiled the potatoes right before I opened the crust and rolled it out; but, you can also cook the potatoes the day before and refrigerate them until you are ready.
Or, use frozen potatoes to save time and leftover beef if you have it.
And, you can cook the beef, freeze it, take it out of the freezer when you’re ready, thaw it, and then add it to the recipe.
It’s also a delicious way to get the kids to eat their veggies.
Don’t feel bad about using store-bought pie crust, either. It saves A LOT of time.
And, they are flaky and delicious.
Store-Bought Pie Crust
I bought two refrigerated pie crusts, that come in the package together, and unrolled the first one into a deep pie pan.
You can see it’s not the prettiest sight, but it works, and that’s the objective.
This main dish meal is approximately $12
What Ingredients Do I Need for the Beef Pot Pie Recipe?
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
- Ground beef (cooked)
- Refrigerated pie crusts (usually sold together in a box)
- Potatoes (peeled, cubed, and boiled OR frozen cubed potatoes)
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Cream of chicken soup
- Pinch of salt and pepper
How To Make Homemade Beef Pot Pie
- Heat oven to 425-degrees.
- Spray a deep pie pan with nonstick spray and set it to the side.
- Next, add the cooked ground beef, potatoes, veggies, cream of chicken soup, salt, and pepper to a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Roll the pie crust into the pie pan.
- Pour the ground beef mixture into the pie shell.
- Roll the second pie crust dough over the top of the meat mixture.
- Press the top pie crust against the bottom crust creating a seal and cut several slits in the top pie crust with a knife.
- Whisk an egg in a small bowl. Brush the egg wash over the pie crust with a pastry brush and cook for 30 minutes.
- The crust will be golden brown when it is done cooking.
Step-By-Step Instructions On How To Make Pot Pie
Start by rolling out one of the pie crusts in the deep dish pie pan.
You will need a deep dish for this because it is a large and hearty meal.
If you’re just feeding a couple of people, you can cut the recipe in half.
Once you’ve rolled out the pot pie crust, mix up the cooked beef, boiled potatoes, cream of chicken soup, and veggies (they can still be frozen) in a large bowl.
Once you’ve mixed it all up, pour it into the pie crust.
When I poured the mixture into the crust, I still had some potatoes leftover, because I wasn’t sure if I had made too many.
But, you can add everything on top, and it will only make the top of the pie crust larger. No big deal.
So, go to town and add all those potatoes. I honestly don’t think you can ever have too many potatoes.
Roll out the second pie crust on top. Pinch the top crust to the bottom crust to seal it.
Don’t worry if you have a rip or two, or if it’s not pinched together as beautiful as Martha Stewart would do it.
It’s still going to turn out amazing. We’re not aiming for perfection here, just dinner.
Whisk one egg in a small bowl and brush it onto the top of the pie crust.
That way, when you bake it the crust will be a golden flaky brown. My mouth is watering talking about it.
Make a couple of small slits in the top to let steam escape.
TIP: Place the homemade pot pie on a baking sheet, in case the insides decide to bubble over. You don’t want drippings messing up the oven.
I’ve bought pot pies at the store and they were kind of wimpy pot pies.
But, this one is stuffed with food, so your family will be quite full and happy, I promise.
You can also prepare the beef pot pie and freeze it before you bake it.
Make three or four at a time and have them at the ready on a night when you’re tired.
When you’re out running around and want to come home and relax, knowing a frozen pot pie is in the freezer and easy to cook, is a good feeling.
Doesn’t it look amazing?
Optional Vegetables To Add To The Pot Pie
- Green beans
- English peas
- Butter beans
How To Store The Easy Beef Pot Pie
You can store the beef pot pie in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Let me know how yours turns out. I’d love to hear from you!
More Delicious Recipes
- Crock Pot beef and noodles
- Homemade meatloaf recipe with Jiffy
- Easy meatloaf with oatmeal
- Classic chicken pot pie from Pillsbury
- Turkey pot pie from The Pioneer Woman
Easy Ground Beef Pot Pie Recipe Card
Check out the ground beef pot pie recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! You’ll love how easy this recipe is to make.
It’s perfect for dinner any night of the week or even Sunday supper time.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your delicious beef pot pie on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us.
- 1-1/2 lbs. ground beef (cooked)
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts (usually sold together in a box)
- 3 large potatoes (peeled, cubed, and boiled) OR 3 cups frozen cubed potatoes
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1-10.5 oz. can cream of chicken soup
- Pinch of salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
- Spray a deep pie pan with a non-stick spray, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine cooked ground beef, cooked (or frozen) cubed potatoes, frozen veggies, cream of chicken soup, and salt and pepper.
- Roll out a pie crust in a deep pie pan.
- Pour the beef mixture over the pie crust.
- Roll out the second crust over the beef mixture and press it against the lower crust, creating a seal.
- Whisk one egg in a small bowl and brush the top of the pie crust. Cut several slits on the top of the pie crust.
- Cook for 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
TIP: You can also use leftover pot roast, with some tender beef and flavorful gravy as a filling for the pot pie.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 pieces Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 277Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 338mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 21g