I think I do a lot of admitting on here. I admit I love chocolate, I admit I love corn, and I freely admit I love these gooey cake cookies.
They kind of remind me of a fluffier version of chess squares. And, I will almost knock people out of the way to get to a chess square. Even at church! Ha!
Chess squares are always popular at church potlucks. I used to come prepared with the recipe memorized because people always wanted it.
I haven’t taken Gooey Cream Cheese Cake Cookies to a potluck yet, but I do think they will be just as popular. How do I know this? I’ve had to hide the cookies from the kids so they don’t eat them all. I’m running out of hiding places, too.
I have a friend at my former church that if she knew I had some gooey cake cookies, she’d be on my front porch step as fast as her car could bring her to my house.
This is a super inexpensive recipe, too. I bought all of the ingredients at Aldi’s, and they were less than $5–and the recipe makes almost 3 dozen cookies!
Recipe and printable instructions listed at the bottom of the post.
Start by creaming the butter and cream cheese. You can see in the picture that there is a little bit of melted butter. I didn’t set it out to get to room temperature, so I stuck it in the microwave for about 25-30 seconds.
Add the egg and the vanilla and blend it in.
Add the yellow cake mix and blend it in. Yellow cake mix smells so good, too. It’s such a happy smell, maybe because we all associate it with birthdays, or family time.
Take the dough and roll it into a 1-1/2-inch balls, and roll in the powdered sugar. Don’t be afraid to cover it up with the good stuff. I had to keep the container away from the kids. It was all I could do to keep their spoons out!
Set the cookies about 2-inches apart. They really don’t flatten out too much when they cook. You can see in the picture below how the cookies turn out.
They turn out so delicious. I sprinkle them with a little more powdered sugar when they cool off (you can never have too much).
- 8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (softened)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 16.5 oz. pkg. yellow cake mix.
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (more if needed)
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Cream butter and cream cheese together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the egg and vanilla and blend together.
- Add the cake mix and blend together.
- Roll the dough into 1-1/2-inch balls.
- Roll in powdered sugar and place on cookie sheet about 2-inches apart.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes, or until tops are lightly golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and sprinkle with more powdered sugar.
Check out more delicious recipes at: