Baked Buttermilk Chicken Strips are a budget-friendly homemade dinner that is easy to make.
The oven-baked chicken strips recipe are breaded in buttermilk, parmesan cheese, herbs, and Panko bread crumbs for a delicious and tasty dinner. These are a big hit around here!
Baked Chicken Strips
Hi y’all! Last night, I decided we would have some homemade chicken strips. They are just simple breaded chicken tenders.
The kids love ’em, but we always buy them from a restaurant, and I wanted to give them something that we knew exactly what ingredients were in them.
I’ve never been a huge fan of chicken nuggets and chicken strips, but let me tell you, when these were cooked up and ready to go last night, I kept asking the kids if they were going to eat all of their chicken because I wanted their leftovers!
They. Were. Delicious.
But, the kids ate every bite.
Buttermilk is a southern staple. Southerners always have some in their fridge at all times. It adds so much flavor, creaminess, and depth to a meal. And that’s exactly what it did with the chicken strips last night.
And, dipping in the breadcrumbs mixtures and baking makes amazingly delicious crispy baked chicken tenders. This is the perfect easy dinner recipe.
Crispy Chicken Tenders Ingredient List
- Chicken tenderloins
- Dijon mustard
- Black pepper
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Parmesan cheese
Full printable recipe with ingredients, measurements, and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How Do You Make The Baked Chicken Tender Recipe?
- Add the grated parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs to a bowl.
- In another bowl add the dijon mustard, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, flour, and buttermilk. Mix well.
- Dip the chicken strips into the buttermilk mixture and then into the Panko bread crumbs. Set on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 45-minutes or until chicken reaches the internal temperature of 165-degrees.
- Dip in your favorite dipping sauce.
Step-By-Step Instructions For Oven Baked Chicken Tenders
Toasting The Breadcrumbs
Add the butter to the saucepan and let it melt. Next, add the Panko bread crumbs. Watch them closely as they like to toast fast.
I like to toast them a little before I bread the chicken because I think it adds a little more crunch factor. But, toasting the Panko breadcrumbs is optional.
After you toast them a little, add them to a bowl and set them aside.
Add the parmesan cheese and stir it up.
For added flavor you can add onion powder, garlic powder, or Italian seasoning. I don’t have it in this recipe, but it gives you the option of changing it a bit from time to time.
In a small to medium-sized bowl, add the dijon mustard, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and flour and mix it up.
Add the buttermilk to the flour mixture and stir. It will be a pretty thick mixture.
Dip the chicken strip into the buttermilk mixture and then into the Panko bread crumb mixture.
If you don’t have any Panko, you can use regular breadcrumbs for this recipe.
Place the chicken strips on a prepared baking sheet and bake to crispy perfection for approximately 45-minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
And, oh, your house is going to smell delicious.
TIP: I try to use a rimmed baking sheet so the juices don’t run off the baking sheet pan and get the oven dirty.
You can use this same recipe for chicken breasts, as well. It’s a super tasty breading and it turns out golden brown, crispy, and delicious. You might need to cook a full chicken breast longer, though.
You will love baked buttermilk chicken strips, I’m just sure of it! I am hoping they will be your favorite chicken strips from now on!
Let me know what you think in the comments.
Homemade Chicken Tenders
These are the perfect finger food for the entire family. You can dip them into ranch dressing, honey mustard sauce, bleu cheese, ketchup or your favorite sauce.
If you have a kiddo with a picky palate this is a recipe they will love. I have a picky one and he always asks for extra chicken tenders.
If you don’t have any chicken tenderloins on hand, you can cut boneless skinless chicken breasts into strips. I’ve done that a few times and it works great.
Grab The List Of What To Serve With Chicken Tenders
- Southern pan fried potatoes – the kids love these and they are so easy to make.
- Moist Jiffy cornbread – if you love cornbread, you will love this recipe. By adding just a couple of ingredients, you will have a moist and incredibly tasty side dish.
- Jiffy cornbread hush puppies – Jiffy always tastes great, and it’s even better in a hush puppy.
- Oven baked potato wedges – these are just like french fries, but they have a ton of flavor. And, they are super easy to make.
- Oven roasted red potatoes – these are made with red potatoes, parmesan, olive oil, and a couple more ingredients that taste amazing.
- Honey mustard sauce for dipping – this is a great five minute recipe from Pinch of Yum that is perfect for dipping the chicken tenders.
Baked Buttermilk Chicken Tender Recipe
Check out the recipe card below, grab the ingredients, and start cooking! This is the best chicken dish and such an easy recipe for any occasion.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your crispy chicken tenders on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 12-15 chicken strips
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon butter
Preheat oven to 350-degrees
- Add the parmesan cheese to the Panko breadcrumbs and stir together.
- In a small bowl add dijon mustard, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, flour, and buttermilk. Stir until well blended.
- Dip each chicken strip into the buttermilk mixture and then into the Panko mixture.
- Set the chicken strips on the baking sheet.
- Bake chicken tenders for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. They will end up with a breaded crispy coating.
- Dip in ketchup or ranch dressing or your favorite dip.
You can use regular breadcrumbs if you don't have Panko.
TIP: For best results, I try to use a rimmed baking sheet so the juices don't run off the cookie sheet.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 76Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 379mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0.5gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g