Baked Buttermilk Chicken Strips are a budget-friendly homemade dinner that is easy to make. The oven-baked chicken strips recipe are breaded in buttermilk, parmesan cheese, herbs, and Panko bread crumbs for a delicious and tasty dinner. These are a big hit around here!
Baked Chicken Strips
Hi y’all! Last night, I decided we would have some homemade chicken strips. The kids love ’em, but we always buy them from a restaurant, and I wanted to give them something that we knew exactly what ingredients were in them.
I’ve never been a huge fan of chicken nuggets and chicken strips, but let me tell you, when these were cooked up and ready to go last night, I kept asking the kids if they were going to eat all of their chicken. They. Were. Delicious.
Buttermilk is a southern staple. Southerners always have some in their fridge at all times. It adds so much flavor, creaminess, and depth to a meal. And that’s exactly what it did with the chicken strips last night.
How do you make homemade chicken strips?
- Add the grated parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs together in a bowl.
- In another bowl add the dijon mustard, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, flour, and buttermilk. Mix well.
- Dip the chicken strips into the buttermilk mixture and then into the Panko bread crumbs. Set on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 45-minutes or until chicken reaches 165-degrees.
- Dip in your favorite sauce.
Recipe and printable instructions listed below.
Add the butter to the saucepan and let it melt. Next, add the Panko bread crumbs. Watch them closely as they like to toast fast.
I like to toast them a little before I bread the chicken because I think it adds a little crunch factor.
After you toast them a little, add them to a bowl and set them aside. (Toasting the Panko breadcrumbs is optional).
Add the parmesan cheese and stir it up.
In a small to medium-sized bowl, add the dijon mustard, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and flour and mix it up.
Add the buttermilk to the flour mixture and stir. It will be a pretty thick mixture.
Dip the chicken strip into the buttermilk mixture and then into the Panko bread crumbs.
Place the chicken strips on a baking sheet and cook them for approximately 45-minutes or until the chicken is cooked. And, oh, your house is going to smell delicious!
You can use this same recipe for chicken breasts, as well. It’s a super tasty breading.
You will love Baked Buttermilk Chicken Strips, I’m just sure of it! I am hoping they will be your favorite chicken strips from now on!
Let me know what you think in the comments.
- 12-15 chicken strips
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. butter
Preheat oven to 350-degrees
- Melt butter in saucepan and brown Panko crumbs. Pour into small bowl. (optional)
- Add the parmesan cheese to the Panko breadcrumbs and stir together.
- In a small bowl add dijon mustard, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, flour, and buttermilk. Stir until well blended.
- Dip each chicken strip into the buttermilk mixture and then into the Panko mixture.
- Set the chicken strips on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Dip in ketchup or ranch dressing.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 76Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 379mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0.5gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g