Want to do something different for the holidays but nothing too crazy? Then this buttermilk pecan pie recipe is for you!
With a chess pie style in that it is creamier than a traditional pecan pie, the buttermilk mixture creates a creamy texture that will win you over.
And it also lends a nice, tangy note, making this the perfect pie for your holiday dessert table!
A Traditional Pecan Pie with a Tangy Twist
This buttermilk pecan pie recipe is going to be one of your new favorite recipes.
You add chopped pecans to a prepared pie crust and then fill it with the buttermilk mixture.
It’s so good that I can’t wait for the holidays and make one for dessert at other times of the year.
It’s just so delicious! If you’ve ever had an old-fashioned buttermilk pie, it’s like crème brûlée’s culinary cousin.
Add pecans to that, and it’s the ultimate mashup for a very Merry Christmas.
Buttermilk pecan pie is a golden oldie, like the sweet pie my grandma used to make for us as kids.
This traditional pie can only get better, topped with vanilla ice cream and fresh whipped cream.
Ingredients Needed For Buttermilk Pecan Pie
- Unbaked pie crust
- Softened butter
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Watch How To Make Buttermilk Pecan Pie
How To Make The Buttermilk Pecan Pie Recipe
- Roll out the pie shell into the pie pan.
- Cream the butter, brown, and white sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Next, add the flour and salt and mix.
- Add the buttermilk and mix well.
- Pour the pie filling into the pie shell and sprinkle the pecans on top of the pie filling.
- Bake for one hour or until the pie is golden brown.
- Allow the pie to cool at room temperature for about two hours before serving.
To make this recipe, you will need a mixer and a medium mixing bowl. You’ll also want to get your pie crust ready.
You can use prepared pie crust or make one yourself. No judgement – everyone will be focused on the filling.
And besides, sometimes it’s easier to use a store-bought crust during busy holidays. It’s all about balance.
Add the softened butter to a medium bowl.
Next, pour the white granulated sugar into the bowl.
Add the brown sugar to the bowl. Cream butter and sugars. You will want to mix for about one to two minutes with an electric mixer.
The filling will be crumbly at this point, and that is ok.
Pour the vanilla extract into the bowl and mix well.
Add the eggs to the bowl and mix.
Next, add the flour and salt and mix.
Finally, pour the buttermilk into the bowl and mix well to combine.
Pour the pie filling into the unbaked pie shell.
Sprinkle pecans on top of the pie shell.
For this recipe, I bought pecan halves to sprinkle on top.
Place the pie on top of a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil.
This will help you keep the oven clean if the pie happens to drip over the edge.
Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes at 325 degrees.
The pie will be nice and golden brown on the top and around the edges.
Allow the pie to cool for at least two hours.
How To Store The Buttermilk Pecan Pie
Store the pie in an airtight container or cover it with plastic wrap.
More Delicious Desserts
- Buttermilk pie recipe is similar to this buttermilk pecan pie recipe. It’s creamy and very tasty.
- Creamy homemade butterscotch pie is a great addition to any holiday dessert table.
- Moist buttermilk chocolate cake
- Southern pecan pie cake recipe
- Pumpkin pecan pie
- Cinnamon pecan ice cream from Southern Home Express
This buttermilk pecan pie recipe melds traditional elements, combining two wonderful pies into one epic classic.
This is the pie everyone fights to grab a slice of around the holidays. I’m lucky to even have a bite left over the next day.
Be sure to get the recipe for buttermilk pecan pie below.
Buttermilk Pecan Pie Recipe
Buttermilk pecan pie recipe is a creamy, decadent, and easy dessert to make. The family recipe is similar to a thick custard pie with pecans.
- 1 refrigerated premade pie crust
- 8 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup halved pecans
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Roll out the pie crust and place in the pie shell.
- Add the softened butter to the bowl and cream with the brown and white sugars.
- Next, add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add the flour and the salt and mix.
- Pour the buttermilk into the bowl and mix well.
- Finally, pour the pie filling into the pie shell.
- Sprinkle the pecan halves on top and bake for one hour or until top is golden brown.
- Allow the pie to cool at room temperature for at least two hours.
Place the pie on top of a cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil to keep the oven clean in case some drips over the side.
Set the pie over a wire rack to cool faster.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 405mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 2gSugar: 50gProtein: 6g
Nutrition is approximate.