Butterscotch pie is a classic dessert recipe that is simple to make and turns out delicious every time.
A Classic Pie
The homemade classic pie is loved in households all over the country and brings comfort to the table.
We grew up spending our summers in Tennessee on my grandparent’s farm.
My sister loved caramel pie and I was partial to chocolate pie. It really doesn’t get any better than eating homemade pie.
Butterscotch pie is a cream pie and so easy to make. It’s very similar to other cream pies, like caramel and chocolate, and is topped with meringue.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Butterscotch Pie?
- Brown sugar
- Egg yolks (save the whites for meringue)
- Vanilla extract
- Baked pie shell
Baked pie shell – I used a store-bought frozen crust because it just makes life easier. But, you can also make a homemade pie crust.
Tastes Better From Scratch has the perfect pie crust recipe if you’re wanting to make one at home.
Brown sugar – the brown sugar is going to give the butterscotch pie a deeper flavor and helps bring out the butterscotch taste.
Egg yolks – the egg yolks are going to give the pie its rich flavor and help give it a smooth texture. Just be sure to save the whites for the meringue.
Cornstarch – this ingredient will help thicken the pie. Ever have a runny pie? Cornstarch will help keep it together and you will have a nice thick butterscotch pie.
Butter – butter always gives recipes a rich flavor. And in this case, it helps combine with the brown sugar to help create the butterscotch flavor.
Vanilla extract – vanilla is always going to help bring out all of the other flavors.
How Do I Make The Butterscotch Pie Recipe?
- Bake the pie shell according to the directions.
- Add the milk, egg yolks, brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt to a saucepan and mix well.
- Cook on medium-high until the mixture is thick like pudding. It will take about five minutes.
- Finally, add the butter and vanilla extract and mix until the butter is melted.
- Pour the butterscotch mixture into the baked pie shell.
- Make the meringue and place it on top of the pie, creating peaks with your spatula.
- Bake the pie for 10 minutes, or until the meringue is golden brown, at 350-degrees.
- Allow the pie to cool and set up for at least one hour.
Start by pouring milk into a saucepan.
Drop the egg yolks into the pan.
Be sure to save the egg whites in another bowl for the meringue.
Next, add the cornstarch, brown sugar, and salt to the saucepan and mix everything with a whisk.
Turn the stove to medium-high and start cooking. The pudding will take about five minutes to cook. It will be thin and then all of a sudden thicken, so keep your eyes on it and keep stirring.
TIP: Be sure to stir often or you will get specks of burnt butterscotch in your pie.
If that does happen, don’t worry, just continue mixing and try to mix the specks into the pie. It will still taste good (speaking from experience).
Add the butter and stir until melted.
Finally, pour the vanilla extract into the saucepan and mix until the ingredients are combined.
Pour the pie into the cooked pie shell and set it aside while you prepare the meringue.
How To Make Meringue
Add the egg whites to a large bowl, along with the cream of tartar.
Use your hand mixer to beat the egg whites until they are stiff.
Pour the sugar into the egg whites and mix again until the sugar is combined and the egg whites are shiny.
Spread the meringue on top of the pie and take your spatula and sort of bop the meringue to get some peaks.
Bake the pie for about 10 minutes at 350-degrees, or until the meringue turns golden brown.
Once you bake the meringue, allow the pie to set up and cool for at least one hour.
Other desserts you will love:
- Chocolate chip cake, with brown sugar on top, is a delicious cake that is easy to make.
- German chocolate cake is always a hit for birthdays or holidays. This recipe is easy to make and completely homemade.
- Lemon bars are tart, sweet, and very easy to make. They have a shortbread crust that is perfect for this recipe.
- Brown sugar pound cake with butter pecan glaze is a decadent dessert that is hard to put down.
Butterscotch Pie Recipe
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is a sweet and tasty dessert for any occasion.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your pie on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 egg yolks (save the whites in another bowl for meringue)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 9-inch baked pie crust (buy frozen or make homemade)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add the milk, brown sugar, egg yolks, cornstarch, and salt and mix well with a whisk.
- Turn the burner to medium-high heat.
- Cook until the pudding is thick, stirring constantly. The pudding will thicken in about five minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and butter and mix until the butter is melted.
- Pour the butterscotch pudding into the baked pie shell and set aside.
- Add the egg whites to a large bowl, along with the cream of tartar.
- Beat with a hand mixer until the meringue is stiff.
- Add the sugar and beat until the meringue is shiny.
- Cover the pie with meringue and bake for 10 minutes at 350-degrees or until the top is golden brown.
- Allow the pie to cool and set up for at least one hour.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 323Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 477mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 6g
Nutrition is approximate.