Baked Coconut Cream Pie
Grab a pan, toast that coconut, and prepare your tastebuds for some amazingly delicious baked coconut cream pie.
This pie was a massive hit at my house. The dessert recipe is super easy to make and it’s hard to mess up. So, if you’re not typically a pie-cooking person, have no fear, this will turn out perfectly.
My husband even went to far as to tell me that this might just be the best pie he’s ever eaten!
What Ingredients Do I Need For The Coconut Cream Pie Recipe?
- Sweetened coconut, toasted
- Half and half
- Vanilla extract
- Pie crust
- Whipped Topping
How Do I Make The Coconut Cream Pie?
- Bake a pie crust in the oven until golden brown.
- Toast the coconut for five to six minutes in the oven on a cookie sheet. Set aside.
- In a medium to large saucepan, add the half and half, eggs, sugar, flour, and salt and whisk until combined and there are no more lumps.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and stir for a couple of minutes until the pie thickens.
- Remove the pie from the burner and add the vanilla extract and 3/4 cup of the toasted coconut and stir.
- Pour into the cooked pie crust and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Top with whipped topping and sprinkle the remainder of the toasted coconut over the top of the pie. Serve.
Start by baking the pie crust until it’s golden brown and set it aside.
I bought a frozen pie crust at the grocery store and used that for the pie. I do like homemade pie crust a lot better, but this was more convenient.
I forgot to take a picture of toasting the coconut, but it’s an easy task.
Spread the coconut out on a cookie sheet and toast it at 350-degrees. Open the oven about every two minutes and move it around so it doesn’t burn on one side (speaking from experience).
It took about six minutes for mine to toast in my oven. It might take a few minutes more for yours, or even a little less, so be sure to keep an eye on it, because it will burn fast.
Start the coconut pie recipe by pouring the half and half into a medium to large saucepan on medium heat.
You can use milk for this recipe, but the half and half is going to make the pie so much richer.
Next, add the sugar to the saucepan.
Add the beaten eggs, flour, and salt to the saucepan next. Make sure you whisk the ingredients until most of the lumps from the flour are gone.
You can use a fork to whisk, but if you have an actual whisk, that will work a lot better to get rid of the lumps.
Cook the pie filling until it thickens.
It will probably take about ten minutes to get to the thick point. Stir often because you will end up with a lot of clumps, otherwise.
Don’t be tempted to go fold laundry or do something like that because it will clump fast. Just stand close by and stir on occasion and you’ll be fine.
I continued to use a whisk throughout the cooking process and that kept things from getting too clumpy.
Once the pie filling thickens, take it off the burner and pour the vanilla extract in and mix.
Add 3/4 cup of toasted coconut to the filling and mix well.
Pour the coconut cream pie filling into the baked pie shell and refrigerate for at least two hours to allow the pie to thicken even more and set up.
Once the pie sets up, add some whipped topping and sprinkle the remainder of the toasted coconut on top and you’re all done!
Other tasty dessert recipes
- Cream cheese brownies are decadent and chocolatey, with a sweet ribbon of cream cheese.
- Brownie cake is a super easy dessert and always a hit at parties.
- Southern peach cobbler is a special treat any time of year.
- Lemon lush recipe is another great dessert with tons of flavor.
Coconut cream pie recipe card
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start creating! This is one delicious pie recipe.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your homemade pie on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut + 1/4 cup, toasted
- 3 cups of half and half
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 9" pie shell, baked
- 8 oz. whipped topping
- Bake the pie shell according to the package directions.
- Spread all of the coconut out on a cookie sheet and toast for about five to six minutes on 350-degrees. Open the oven and move the coconut around every two minutes to keep the coconut from burning.
- In a medium to large saucepan, add the half and half, sugar, eggs, flour, and salt and mix well with a whisk.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often, until thick.
- Once the pie filling is thick, remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Next, add 3/4 cup of toasted coconut to the pie filling and mix well.
- Pour the pie filling into the pie crust and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Finally, spread the whipped topping on the pie filling and sprinkle the remainder of the toasted coconut on top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 690Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 444mgCarbohydrates: 89gFiber: 3gSugar: 52gProtein: 9g
Nutrition is approximate.