Buttermilk Texas Sheet Cake with vanilla extract is a delicious dessert to make for a birthday party, church potluck, or any holiday.
The rich buttercream frosting recipe is perfect for this sheet cake recipe.
The hardest thing you’ll have to do while making this Texas Sheet Cake recipe is deciding if you want to sprinkle some pecans on top.
The Best Texas Sheet Cake Recipe
Don’t you love a good Texas sheet cake recipe? I promise this is one of those homemade desserts that you are going to fall in love with.
Buttermilk Texas Sheet Cake
The recipe features buttermilk, which not only adds flavor but helps make a wonderfully moist cake.
Buttermilk tastes great in biscuits, breaded chicken strips, buttermilk brownies, and so much more.
It’s a great ingredient for so many recipes.
What Is Needed For Texas Sheet Cake?
- Large bowl
- Hand mixer
- Measuring cups
- Vegetable oil
- Baking soda
- Brown sugar
- Powdered sugar
- 10-inch x 15-inch Jelly roll pan
- Non-stick spray
Full printable recipe card with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and sugar and mix. Set the dry ingredients aside.
Add the oil, butter, and water to a medium-sized saucepan. Heat on medium-high until the mixture boils.
Once the mixture boils, remove from heat and pour into the flour mixture.
Mix with a hand mixer until well blended.
Add the eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, baking soda, and buttermilk and mix with the hand mixer.
The hint of cinnamon adds so much flavor to this classic Southern dessert.
Pour batter into the greased jelly roll pan. I used a 10-inch x 15-inch size pan.
Make sure you have a prepared pan. I use nonstick cooking spray to grease the pan.
- This is closer to a quarter sheet pan, which is 9-inch by 13-inch.
- If you don’t have a jelly roll pan, you can use a cookie sheet, but make sure you have at least an inch and a half sides.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Let the cake cool for 30 or more minutes until it reaches room temperature.
I leave the cake in the pan. I don’t take it out of the pan but leave it in a heat-safe place to cool.
This is such an easy frosting recipe. You can use it on a lot of other cakes, as well.
Make the frosting just before pouring it onto the cooled cake.
Start by adding butter and brown sugar to a saucepan on medium-high heat and stir. Keep stirring occasionally.
Bring to a boil. Cook until just a little bit thick, and the brown sugar dissolves.
Remove from heat and let it sit for about one minute.
Add the milk and stir it in.
Then add the powdered sugar and mix with the hand mixer until smooth.
Slowly pour the warm frosting over the cake. Let it cool and serve.
The classic Texas sheet cake is perfect for birthday parties, church potlucks, or any occasion. Add a scoop of ice cream right on the side for the perfect dessert.
The cake is only one thin layer, so it won’t be a thick cake, but it’s great for serving a large crowd.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
- German chocolate cake – this is a tender chocolate cake.
- Texas chocolate sheet cake (also known as Texas funeral cake)
- Berry icebox cake
- Pineapple dump cake recipe
- Mississippi mud brownies from Cooking With Carlee
Does A Sheet Cake Have Layers?
Not typically. Usually, a sheet cake recipe only has one layer. And it’s a delicious one.
What Is The Size Of A Sheet Cake?
In most bakeries, there are three sizes: a full sheet cake, a half sheet cake, and a quarter sheet cake.
This buttermilk Texas sheet cake recipe is closer to a quarter-size sheet and will feed quite a few people.
How Thick Is Sheet Cake?
The baked cake is a little over one inch thick.
If you were to buy a birthday sheet cake from a grocery store, it might have two or three layers and be several inches thick. This particular cake recipe is about one to two inches thick.
The jelly roll pan has a side lip of about one inch, but the cake will rise a little above that as it cooks.
If you’re looking for a different flavored cakes, try these:
- This Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake is one of my favorite cakes and is similar to the cake from Cracker Barrel.
- Easy Homemade Chocolate Cake with Buttercream Frosting is a great cake to take to potlucks or family gatherings. It’s the best chocolate cake, trust me.
- Pound Cake with a Cream Cheese Frosting is easy to make, and one of the most popular recipes on this site, and it is moist and delicious!
- Texas cowboy cookies – these aren’t quite the size of Texas, but they are the perfect dessert.
Buttermilk Texas Sheet Cake – The Perfect Cake
So what are you waiting for? Get the recipe and start baking!
This Texas traditional Texas sheet cake is super moist and has that awesome tang from the buttermilk. It’s big enough to feed a crowd and a total hit at any get-together.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 to 5 cups powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Grease jelly-roll pan and set aside.
- Add the flour and sugar to a large bowl. Mix it up and set it aside.
- Add the oil, butter, and water to a saucepan, turn it on medium-high, and bring it to a boil.
- Pour the boiling oil mixture over the flour and mix until well blended.
- Add the eggs, cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla, and buttermilk and mix with a beater until well blended.
- Pour into the jelly-roll pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the butter and brown sugar to a medium sauce pan and cook on medium-high.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until it begins to thicken and the brown sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for a minute or two.
- Add the milk and mix it in.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix with a beater until it is smooth.
- Pour over the cake and let cool.
Allow the cake to cool before adding the frosting. If you pour it on a warm cake, it will run all down the sides.
Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 pieces Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 386Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 172mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 0.5gSugar: 51gProtein: 2g