If you’re looking for a side dish that everyone will love, hashbrown casserole recipe is the one to make. The dish is full of potatoes, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and tons of flavor.
A Simple Budget-Friendly Casserole
This simple recipe is one of my favorites because it’s budget-friendly and you can make it the day before you decide to cook it.
That always makes me happy when it’s a holiday because you won’t have to prepare a lot of dishes in one day.
The recipe is similar to Cracker Barrel’s hashbrown casserole that we all love and crave often.
Looking for another casserole dish for the holidays? Give zucchini casserole a try.
A Versatile Potato Casserole
One of the other great things about this casserole dish is that you can add ground beef, chopped up chicken, or some ground pork sausage and create a meal out of it.
And, I love potatoes so much that I could honestly eat this side dish often.
What Ingredients Do I Need For The Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole?
- Frozen hashbrowns, thawed
- Butter, melted
- One can of cream of chicken soup
- Sour cream
- Onion, chopped
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How Do I Make The Hashbrown Casserole?
- Add the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, chopped onion, shredded cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper, to a large bowl and mix well.
- Next, add the hashbrowns to the bowl, pour the melted butter over the top, and mix until covered.
- Spread the hashbrown casserole into a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
How To Make The Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
Start the dish by adding the shredded cheddar cheese and diced onions to a bowl.
I used a very large bowl because once you get all of the ingredients in there, you’ll want plenty of room to be able to stir the hashbrowns and get them covered.
Next, add the cream of chicken soup and sour cream to the bowl and mix all of the ingredients together.
I like to mix these ingredients together before adding the hashbrowns because it just makes stirring and coating the hashbrowns that much easier.
Cream of chicken soup is going to add so much flavor to this dish. If you’re not a big fan of chicken, try some cream of celery or mushroom for a different flavor.
Now that you’ve mixed everything well, add the hashbrowns.
Finally, pour the melted butter over the hashbrowns, sprinkle the salt and pepper on top, and stir until coated.
Spread it all into a greased 9″ x 13″ casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes.
You do not need to cover the dish while baking. You’ll want the top to get nice and brown and crunchy.
Other Side Dishes:
- Moist Jiffy Cornbread – if you’re tired of dry cornbread, give this recipe a try–you’ll love the hacks in this recipe.
- Broccoli cheese bake is a great dish for a crowd, and everyone gets their veggies.
- Sweet potato casserole – you can honestly never go wrong with this side dish. I wasn’t a big fan of sweet potatoes until I tried this and now I can’t have a holiday meal without it.
- 10-Minute scalloped corn is a great way to round out the meal.
Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start creating! This is a great recipe for any occasion, especially around the holidays.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your hashbrown casserole on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 32 oz. bag of hashbrown potatoes, thawed
- 6 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 10.75 oz. can of condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees and grease a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Add the shredded cheese, chopped onions, sour cream, and the can of cream of chicken soup and mix well.
- Add the hashbrowns and pour the melted butter over the top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, mix well and pour into a 9" x 13" casserole dish.
- Bake for 45-minutes or until the top is golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 674Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 1473mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 13g
Nutrition is approximate.