Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup is an easy recipe to make and you most likely have the ingredients right there in your pantry.
It’s great to have this recipe on hand in case you’re like me and decide to cook a meal at the last minute that calls for a can of cream of chicken soup and you don’t have it.
This is a great substitute for condensed cream of chicken soup that you would buy at the store–and it’s tastes better!
Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup is not an expensive item, but it’s great to have this recipe in your recipe box.
What Ingredients do I Need to Make Cream of Chicken Soup?
Full printable recipe and instructions listed at the bottom of the post.
- Chicken stock or chicken broth
- All-purpose flour
- Garlic salt
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
How do I Make the Cream of Chicken Soup?
- Start by adding the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper in a medium-sized bowl and mix.
- Pour the milk and chicken stock (or broth) into the bowl with the flour mixture and whisk it together until all of the lumps are gone.
- Heat up the butter in the saucepan on medium heat. Add the milk and flour mixture to the saucepan and stir. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the cream of chicken soup is thick.
Mix the flour, garlic salt, onion powder, black pepper, and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
Add the milk and chicken stock (or broth), and mix until all of the lumps are gone.
I used 2-percent milk for this recipe and the creamier the milk, the creamier it will taste.
Mix it up well before you pour it into the saucepan. I use a whisk and it works great to get rid of the lumps–that way, it’s nice and smooth when it’s done.
Add the butter to the saucepan and let it melt.
Is there anything more beautiful in the kitchen than butter? Not much! Well, the smell of melting butter, because you know it’s time to eat soon.
Add the flour mixture to the saucepan of butter. Once you add the mixture to the pan, it will take less than five minutes to thicken and you can pour it into jars to keep in the refrigerator.
Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
Tips while cooking:
The cream of chicken soup recipe cooks fast. That is one of the reasons I mix the flour into the liquid and get all of the lumps out before I put it in the pan.
Don’t walk away and do dishes, because it cooks so fast, and if you’re not paying attention, you will end up with some lumps.
The lumps are not the end of the world, but it’s a lot prettier and easier to mix into other things when it’s smooth.
That’s it! It’s that easy.
How much condensed soup will this make?
This recipe will make approximately 10 to 11 oz. of condensed cream of chicken soup. A can of condensed soup from the store is 10.5 ounces, so this fits the bill.
How long can I keep the condensed soup in the refrigerator?
You can use it immediately, or put it into a mason jar and save it for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator.
Recipes that use cream of chicken soup:
- Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings with Cream of Chicken Soup
- Chicken and Rice Crock Pot Casserole
- Chicken with Ritz Crackers and Cream of Chicken Soup
- Cheesy Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- Jiffy Cheeseburger Casserole
- Tater Tot Casserole with cream of chicken soup
Can I eat condensed cream of chicken soup by itself?
Yes, and it tastes wonderful but much better mixed into a meal.
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Mix the flour, garlic salt, onion powder, salt, and black pepper in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the milk and chicken stock. Mix until all of the lumps are gone.
- Add the butter to a saucepan and melt on medium heat.
- Add the flour mixture to the saucepan and cook on medium until thickened.
Use immediately, or pour into a glass jar and save in the refrigerator until ready to use. Keeps up to two weeks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 47Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 255mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
Nutrition is approximate.
Check out more delicious recipes at: