Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Sausage is a delicious meal for the entire family. This vegetable soup with sausage and sauerkraut is filled with a variety of flavors that will burst in your mouth. Everyone will love this filling and hearty meal.
My dad and my youngest love black-eyed peas. The youngest asks for them on a regular basis. So I figured he would love this soup.
It has all of the stout good stuff in it including smoked sausage, potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, and sauerkraut. You can safely say it’s very good for you.
When I served it to the family, my hubs and the youngest came back for seconds. They absolutely loved it. The best part? This is one of those easy soup recipes.
Easy Soup Recipes
- Easy Hamburger and Veggie Soup
- Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- Easy Copycat Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Cheesy Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- Wintry Black Bean and Ham Soup
Recipe and Printable Instructions Listed Below
To make things easier, get your potatoes, carrots, onion, and celery cut up ahead of time. I cut them all into bite size pieces.
Grab a saucepan and add the olive oil. Turn the heat on medium.
Add the diced onions and cook them until they are brown and starting to become translucent. At this point, things are already starting to smell wonderful in this homemade soup.
Next, add the celery and cook it until it starts to become soft.
Pour the salt into the saucepan.
Add the pepper. The hearty soup recipe is already a little bit spicy with the addition of the smoked sausage, so the pepper will add a touch more spiciness.
The black-eyed peas go in next.
Pour the chicken broth into the saucepan. This will add even more delicious flavor to the pot.
It’s time to add the potatoes, carrots. Stir everything together.
Bring the sausage and vegetable soup to a boil.
Place the lid on the saucepan and bring the soup down to a simmer. Simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
Finally, once the soup is done cooking, add the sauerkraut. My dad is not a big fan of sauerkraut, so you can leave it out. But, it does add a good flavor to the soup, and it’s great for bringing in the New Year.
Mix the sauerkraut in and serve the soup. It’s great with a side of homemade cornbread.
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1/2 carrot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 - 15 oz. cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. smoked sausage, diced
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- Add the oil to the saucepan on medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook them until they begin to brown and become translucent.
- Add the celery and cook until it softens.
- Next, add the garlic, carrots, potato, black-eyed peas, sausage, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the chicken broth into the saucepan and mix everything together. Raise the temperature and bring to a boil.
- Once the soup boils, lower the temperature to a simmer. Simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove from heat and add the sauerkraut. Serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 487 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 49mg Sodium: 1856mg Carbohydrates: 44g Fiber: 12g Sugar: 8g Protein: 23g
More recipes you’ll love: