Instead of scrambling for ideas for the perfect finger food for the holiday season, start now.
Or better yet, pretend it’s the holiday by making this sensational spinach tree appetizer in the shape of a Christmas tree!
The Best Pizza Dough Appetizer
By using thin crust pizza crust to create a tree trunk, this holiday snack will totally have your back.
Loaded with everyone’s favorite cheesy spinach dip, in my experience, this one doesn’t last long.
Turn your back for even a split second, and your guests will be fighting over the last bit of this homemade spinach dip at your Christmas party!
The Perfect Appetizer For Your Holiday Party
My favorite part about the holidays is having everyone over to the house. Entertaining friends and family soothes my soul. I love being surrounded by the people most dear to my heart.
Naturally, since I love whipping up things in the kitchen, I don’t want to leave anyone with a rumbling tummy.
That’s just not the southern way, you see. We’ve got to stuff you until you need to roll out to your car.
Sure, you could go with a store-bought spinach dip. But this homemade spinach dip shaped into a Christmas tree turns it into the perfect finger food.
It travels well too, so if you’re heading to a potluck, you can make this classic spinach dip recipe to bring and dazzle everyone!
Make A Delicious Spinach Dip Christmas Tree
I have to confess that I don’t like cooked spinach. Like, at all. I’ve always tried to tell myself I could be like Popeye if only I’d eat it.
But here’s my secret, I love spinach when it’s in this recipe. In fact, I can’t get enough of it.
Ditto for my son. He couldn’t wait to dig in and absolutely adored it.
So, if you have spinach haters coming over for your holiday party, don’t hold back on making this easy spinach dip Christmas tree appetizer.
It all starts with refrigerated pizza crust. Yes, you can use homemade dough, but I’ll spare you since the holidays can be stressful enough for many.
And even though making dough from scratch is easy, you may be too pressed for time to really want to get into it.
Ingredients For The Christmas Tree Appetizer
- Canned thin crust pizza
- Frozen chopped spinach, thawed and dry
- Cream cheese softened
- Minced garlic
- Salt and black pepper
- Chili powder
- Italian seasoning
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Dried parsley
I chose the thin crust premade pizza in a can. You’ll need two cans to make this edible Christmas tree spinach dip appetizer.
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make The Spinach Dip Tree Appetizer
- Thaw and squeeze the water out of the spinach.
- Add the spinach and cream cheese to a large mixing bowl and combine with an electric mixer.
- Next, add the minced garlic, salt, pepper, chili powder, Italian seasoning, grated parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese to the bowl and mix well.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay one of the pizza rolls on top of the parchment paper and spread out into a large rectangle.
- Spread the spinach dip onto the pizza dough in the shape of a Christmas tree.
- Place the second pizza dough on top of the spinach dip and press down gently to help shape the Christmas tree.
- Cut the sides in the shape of the tree with a pizza cutter.
- Gently cut each tree limb toward the center and twist.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until the pizza dough is golden brown.
- Melt the butter and add the parmesan cheese and dried parsley.
- Brush over the Christmas tree and serve.
Start by thawing out the spinach and drying it off with a paper towel. Then, add it to the mixing bowl.
With the spinach, it’s important to thaw it first and then squeeze out the excess water ahead of making the recipe. I used a paper towel for that. The key is to get all that water out so it doesn’t make your spinach dip runny.
Next, add the softened cream cheese to the bowl and mix the two ingredients.
Add the minced garlic to the bowl.
I usually keep a jar of minced garlic in the refrigerator to use when needed. It saves time on chopping, and I have it there when I need it.
Add the salt, pepper, chili powder, Italian seasonings, and shredded mozzarella. Mix the ingredients.
Add the grated parmesan cheese to the bowl and mix.
Spread the first pizza dough roll on the parchment paper.
Sorry the picture is so blurry. Apparently, I need better glasses.
Next, spread the spinach dip on top of the dough in the shape of a Christmas tree.
Place the second pizza dough roll on top of the spinach dip and press down gently. This will help you know where to cut the dough.
Cut the dough with a pizza cutter in the shape of a tree or a large triangle.
Slice the dough towards the middle of the tree.
Take the limbs and give them a little twist.
We’re not aiming for perfection here, so don’t worry if your limbs aren’t perfect. Mine aren’t, and it still tastes amazing.
Bake the Spinach dip Christmas tree appetizer for about 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
In a small bowl, melt the butter and add the parmesan cheese and dried parsley. Brush it over the top of the tree, and voila! It’s ready!
You can also make Christmas tree breadsticks by cutting the limbs all the way across and baking. You can leave it in the shape of a tree.
Or, you can make smaller triangles for people to divide and take. It’s a fun and versatile recipe that everyone will love.
You could also try shaping it in a different way to serve at other times of the year.
Dips To Serve With The Christmas Tree
Easy Spinach Dip Christmas Tree Appetizer Recipe
Trust me, this spinach dip Christmas tree appetizer only looks hard to make.
It’s incredibly simple and fun. It’s the perfect way to impress guests for any party.
I’m always asked about this spinach dip recipe and when I’ll be making it for everyone again!
- 2 - 8 ounce cans thin crust pizza dough
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and dry
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter (more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place some parchment paper over a large baking sheet.
- Squeeze all the water out of the thawed spinach and dry with a paper towel.
- Add the spinach and cream cheese to a large mixing bowl and mix.
- Next, add the minced garlic, salt, pepper, chili powder, Italian seasoning, grated parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese and mix well.
- Open the first pizza dough container and spread out on the parchment paper in a rectangle.
- Spread the spinach dip onto the dough in the shape of a large triangle.
- Place the second pizza dough roll over the top of the spinach and press down gently.
- Take a pizza cutter and cut into a Christmas tree shape. Cut the sides and twist the tree limbs.
- Bake for approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- For the buttery top, melt butter in the microwave and add the parsley and parmesan cheese.
- Brush the butter mixture over the Christmas tree and serve.
For a little more color, you can dice up some green and red bell peppers and place around the tree like ornaments.
You can make a short little trunk at the bottom of the tree if you'd like to. You will need to cut off the bottom limbs to create the trunk.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 3300Total Fat: 200gSaturated Fat: 96gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 84gCholesterol: 350mgSodium: 7123mgCarbohydrates: 286gFiber: 23gSugar: 22gProtein: 97g
Nutrition is approximate.