You’ll love this easy, creamy potato soup that makes enough for 10 servings and costs less than $10.
Hands down, this has to be the best potato soup I have ever eaten. In fact, my son told me that it tasted just like Panera Bread’s potato soup.
This slow cooker soup is such an easy recipe. It takes about 5 minutes to throw in the slow cooker, and a few hours to cook. It will feed up to 10 people and costs less than $10 to buy the ingredients.
I made a pot today for my younger son who came home sick from school the other day. It’s a comforting treat when you’re not feeling well, and on a cold day!
Recipe and printable instructions at the bottom of the post.
Add the frozen potatoes, chicken broth, onion, cream of chicken soup, salt, and pepper into the slow-cooker. Give it a good stir and set the slow-cooker for 5 hours on low.
After 5 hours, cut up the cream cheese into small pieces (1-2″ blocks) and add it to the slow cooker. Give it a stir and let it cook for another 1/2 hour.
After 1/2 hour, stir the soup again, making sure all of the pieces of cream cheese have melted. (Sometimes, if there are some larger pieces of cream cheese that haven’t melted, I will press them against the side of the slow cooker to get them to melt faster and then I’ll stir it again).
That’s it! It’s ready to serve. I add some shredded cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles to the top. If you don’t have time to make the bacon, just grab a jar of crumbles from the grocery store and throw them on top. I love the creamy, crunchy combination.
I have made this soup for several years and my family loves it. It’s the perfect comfort food.
It’s also a great food to make for shut-ins, an elderly friend, or a church potluck. The recipe makes enough to divide it up into bowls and freeze for several more meals.
- 2 - 30 oz. bags diced hash brown potatoes
- 2 - 32 oz. pkgs. chicken broth
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 - 10.75 oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 - 8 oz. pkgs. cream cheese
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Bacon bits
- You can cut the recipe in half if you'd like less soup.
- Add the hash brown potatoes, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, salt, pepper, and onion to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for five hours.
- Cut up the cream cheese and add it to the slow cooker.
- Stir, and cook for another 1/2 hour.
- The cream cheese takes a while to melt, so you might have to help it along while stirring it in the soup.
- Add some shredded cheddar cheese, and bacon bits to the top and serve!