Easy slow cooker potato soup is the perfect hearty meal for a family of four or more. You can also turn this into a dinner for two and have leftovers for several days.
The creamy potato soup makes enough for ten servings and costs less than $15.
Only Minutes Of Prep Time
The recipe takes minimal effort and is perfect for those cold days and nights. It’s definitely comfort food and popular with the whole family.
Hands down, this has to be the best potato soup I have ever eaten. In fact, my son told me that it tasted just like Panera Bread’s potato soup.
This slow cooker soup is such an easy recipe. It takes about 5 minutes to throw in the slow cooker and a few hours to cook. It will feed up to ten people and costs less than $15 to buy the ingredients.
I made a pot today for my younger son, who came home sick from school the other day. It’s a comforting treat when you’re not feeling well and on a chilly day.
What Ingredients Are Needed For Easy Potato Soup?
- Diced hash brown potatoes
- Chicken broth
- Diced onion
- Can condensed cream of chicken soup
- Cream cheese
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Crispy bacon bits (or turkey bacon)
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make Cheesy Potato Soup In The Slow Cooker
- Add the potatoes, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, onions, salt, and pepper to the Crock Pot.
- Cook on low for five hours.
- Cut up the cream cheese and add it to the Crock Pot. Stir it into the soup. Replace the lid and let it cook for about thirty minutes.
- Stir to completely melt the cream cheese.
- Spoon into a bowl and top with shredded cheese and bacon bits.
For the base of the soup, add the frozen potatoes, chicken broth, onion, cream of chicken soup, salt, and pepper into the slow cooker.
Give it a good stir and set the slow cooker for five hours on low.
After five hours, cut up the cream cheese into small pieces (1-2″ blocks) and add it to the slow cooker. Give it a stir and let it cook for another 30 minutes.
Once the 30 minutes is up, stir the soup again, making sure all of the pieces of cream cheese have melted.
Sometimes, if there are some larger pieces of cream cheese that haven’t melted, I will press them against the side of the slow cooker to get them to melt faster and then I’ll stir it again.
That’s it! It’s ready to serve.
I add some shredded cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles to the top.
For this recipe, I used sharp cheddar cheese to the recipe because that’s our favorite. But you can use your favorite cheese.
If you don’t have time to make the bacon, just grab a jar of crumbles from the grocery store and throw them on top. I love the creamy, crunchy combination.
I have made this soup for several years, and my family loves it. It’s the perfect comfort food, especially on a busy day.
The recipe turns out creamy soup that is hearty and delicious.
The cream of potato soup recipe is also a great meal to make for shut-ins, an elderly friend, or a church potluck.
The recipe makes enough to divide up into bowls and freeze for several more meals.
Optional Potato Soup Toppings
Potato soup can be made in a variety of ways. You can take the original homemade potato soup recipe and change it up a little with your favorite toppings to suit your taste buds.
Here are a few ingredients to try.
- Chili powder
- Green onions
- A dollop of sour cream
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Extra bacon or cheese
More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Creamy ranch chicken and potatoes – this is a great recipe that’s hearty and super easy to make.
- Creamy chicken and potato soup recipe – you’ll love this easy soup recipe with plenty of protein and flavors.
- Slow cooker chicken and pasta – this recipe is a big hit with kids. It’s an easy slow cooker meal to make and turns out delicious every time.
- Chicken noodle soup – this is a favorite soup around here. It’s perfect for dinner, or on days you’re not feeling well.
How To Store Potato Soup
Store any leftovers in an airtight container and keep it refrigerated. Potato soup can also be frozen for up to several months.
Print out the best potato soup recipe below. It’s easy to make and turns out delicious every time.
The soup is a great addition to your weekly meal rotation.
- 2 - 30 ounce bags diced hash brown potatoes
- 2 - 32 ounce packages chicken broth
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 10.75 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 - 8 ounce packages cream cheese
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- Add the hash brown potatoes, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, salt, pepper, and onion to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for five hours.
- Cut up the cream cheese and add it to the slow cooker.
- Stir, and cook for another 1/2 hour.
- The cream cheese takes a while to melt, so you might have to help it along while stirring it in the soup.
- Add some shredded cheddar cheese and bacon bits to the top and serve!
You can cut the recipe in half if you'd like less soup.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 678Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 2096mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 10g
Nutrition is approximate.