Grandma’s homemade slow cooker chicken noodle soup is the ultimate comfort food for the whole family.
The hot soup recipe is easy to make, budget-friendly, and has a great homemade taste.
The Best Chicken Noodle Soup
We all love a good bowl of chicken noodle soup. It’s comforting, tastes great, and can be healing when you’re not feeling well and have a sore throat.
Making it in the Crock Pot is super easy, and it only takes a few minutes to get it started.
And, there’s nothing better than coming in from cold weather and eating a hot bowl of chicken noodle soup.
It brings back fond memories and brings us through those winter months. And the best part? It only takes about five minutes to get it prepped and cooking.
Ingredients Needed For Chicken Noodle Soup
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Diced onions
- Diced carrots
- Diced celery
- Minced garlic
- Fresh or dried rosemary
- Fresh or dried thyme
- Chicken broth or chicken stock
- Ground black pepper
- Egg noodles
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make Chicken Noodle Soup In The Slow Cooker
- Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Add the chicken breasts, diced onions, carrots, celery, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and minced garlic.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot and mix the ingredients.
- Place the lid on top and cook for seven hours on low.
- After seven hours, shred the chicken (careful, it’s hot).
- Add the egg noodles and water.
- Press the noodles under the water and replace the lid.
- Cook on high for approximately 30 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
How To Make Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
Spray a large slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and add the raw chicken breasts.
I used four breasts for this recipe.
We buy chicken breasts and freeze them, and I typically forget to leave them out to thaw before adding them to the slow cooker.
The great thing is that you can stick the chicken in frozen. Mine are frozen solid in the picture above. They will cook for seven hours on low.
Frozen or not, I cook chicken for seven hours because it makes it so tender.
Next, add the diced carrots and onions to the pot.
I placed the veggies in raw, but you can sauté the onion first if you’d like to.
Add the diced celery.
Add the rosemary, thyme, salt, and ground pepper to the pot.
I used fresh herbs for this recipe, but you can use dried herbs if that is what you have on hand.
Usually, you will want to use a little more of the fresh herbs than dry.
Minced garlic is next.
Pour the chicken broth into the pot and mix. Place the lid on top and cook on low for seven hours.
I used 32 ounces of chicken broth for the recipe. That pretty well covered everything in the slow cooker. The chicken is going to add some liquid to the pot as it cooks, as well.
After seven hours, shred the chicken (be careful as it is hot).
Add the dry egg noodles to the shredded chicken.
For this recipe, I used wide egg noodles, but you can use what you have on hand.
Pour the water over the noodles and press them down, so they are immersed in liquid. Replace the lid and cook on the high setting for about 30 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
I used about 1-1/2 cups of water and that kept the noodles covered while they cooked. They will soak up a lot of the liquid as they cook.
Once the noodles are cooked, you can serve the soup.
More Delicious And Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow cooker smoked sausage and potato soup – this is one delicious slow cooker soup that is perfect for those hungry kids!
- Slow cooker beans and ham – perfect and hearty for a cold winter night.
- Easy slow cooker pulled pork recipe – perfect for barbecues and parties.
- Slow cooker chicken and gravy – this has been a huge hit on the blog. It’s super easy to make and turns out so flavorful every time.
- Slow cooker lasagna – there’s so much flavor in this recipe and it goes along great with some delicious garlic bread.
- Slow cooker pork chops – Another great recipe that turns out tender and delicious each time. It’s an easy recipe and everyone will love it.
- Slow cooker chocolate cake – this isn’t dinner, but it’s one easy and super delicious dessert. Add a scoop of ice cream and you’ve got one great sweet treat.
Optional Additions To The Soup
- Sweet peas
- Butter beans
- Bay leaf
How To Store The Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
To reheat, add the desired amount into a saucepan and cook on medium heat until it reaches the desired temperature. You might need to add a little water or extra broth to the pot if there’s no more liquid.
What Are Some Side Dishes For Chicken Noodle Soup?
- Moist Jiffy cornbread
- Homemade dinner rolls
- Cream biscuits from Serious Eats
- Grilled cheese
- Saltine crackers
- French bread
Is chicken noodle soup better prepared in a slow cooker or in a regular pot on a stove?
Chicken noodle soup tastes great whether prepared in a slow cooker or on the stovetop. The slow cooker is less demanding of your time and will cook while you are doing other things.
What are the best garnishes for chicken noodle soup?
- Green onions
How do you make chicken soup with frozen chicken?
Simply add the frozen chicken breasts to the slow cooker and cook on low for seven hours before shredding and adding the noodles.
How can I make chicken soup using beef broth?
Simply use the same recipe, but instead of adding chicken broth use beef broth in its place. You will use the same amount required for the recipe.
Grandma’s Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Be sure to grab the recipe for this delicious homemade soup. Just get the ingredient list below in the recipe card and head to the grocery store for this wonderfully great soup.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced (or approximately three medium stalks celery)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary (OR 1 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme (OR 1 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 4 cups chicken broth (or chicken stock)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 8 ounces dry egg noodles
- Spray the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the chicken breasts, diced carrots, diced onions, diced celery, thyme, rosemary, minced garlic, salt, and pepper to the pot.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot and mix.
- Cover with the lid and cook on the low heat setting for seven hours.
- Shred the chicken and add the egg noodles.
- Pour the water over the noodles and make sure the noodles are covered with liquid.
- Replace the lid and cook another 30 minutes, or until the noodles are tender, on the high heat setting.
I used egg noodles for this recipe, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 796mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g
Nutrition is approximate.