Easy slow cooker chicken and gravy recipe is made with simple ingredients, packed with flavor, and is a family favorite.
With four simple ingredients, you can have dinner prepped and cooking in the slow cooker in five minutes.
You will end up with a tender chicken dinner and plenty of happy eaters.
The Perfect Comfort Food Recipe
Chicken, ranch seasoning, cream of chicken soup, and water is the perfect comfort food.
I love this meal, because it’s definitely one of our favorite recipes, it’s very budget-friendly, tastes amazing, and everyone here at the house loves it.
And, it’s such an easy chicken recipe. I can’t get over how easy it is to make it.
I love slow cooker meals because they are such easy recipes and I could just about eat them any day of the week. And, they are perfect any time of year.
We head over to The Fresh Market once a week and stock up on chicken and meat on sale day.
They have great prices and we honestly love the way both the ground beef and chicken taste.
For this recipe, you can use chicken breasts or chicken cutlets. I usually use whatever is on sale.
Being able to buy the chicken on sale, helps make this a budget-friendly meal.
All that is left to buy is cream of chicken soup and a small packet of ranch seasoning and you’re set.
I’m notorious for not planning dinner ahead of time, so I try to keep both the soup and seasoning in the pantry and that way if I need to put something in the Crock Pot for dinner I can grab those, add them in with the chicken, turn it on, and it’s cooking.
If you’d like to change the flavors of the meal on occasion, here are a few alternate ideas:
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Cream of celery soup
- Cream of cheddar cheese soup
- Pork or chicken seasoning
- Taco seasoning
- Gravy seasoning (brown gravy mix or white gravy mix)
- Fajita seasoning
- Sour cream
- Onion soup mix
Most of the dry seasonings come in approximately one-ounce gravy packets and can be interchanged when you want to make dinner taste a little differently.
If you love slow cooker chicken, give No Plate Like Home’s brown sugar balsamic chicken a try.
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken And Gravy Ingredients:
- Skinless chicken breasts or cutlets
- Cream of condensed chicken soup
- Ranch dry seasoning
- Water or chicken broth
- Mashed potatoes or rice
Full recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card. The recipe card can also be printed. Approximate nutrition facts are listed below.
We love this particular recipe over mashed potatoes because the flavors go so well together and it’s filling. But, it also tastes great over white rice.
Another option is to thicken the gravy and put over egg noodles.
If you don’t want to take the time to make mashed potatoes, grab some pre-made mashed potatoes at the grocery store, heat them up, top them with the shredded chicken and gravy, and you’ve got dinner.
We like the Bob Evans brand of mashed potatoes around here, but there are a lot of different companies to choose from.
If you’d like to make the mashed potatoes, I have a simple and delicious recipe for them on the blog.
How To Make The Easy Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy Recipe
- Grease the Crock Pot with non-stick spray.
- Place the chicken breasts or chicken cutlets into the bottom of the cooker.
- Pour the cream of chicken soup over the top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle the packet of dry ranch seasoning over the soup.
- Pour the water or chicken broth over the seasoning and replace the lid.
- Cooking time is seven hours on low.
- Once the chicken is finished cooking, shred with forks and add to the top of mashed potatoes.
Start by spraying the slow cooker with non-stick spray and place chicken breasts or cutlets at the bottom.
I used six chicken cutlets for this recipe. If you plan to use breasts, use four.
You will need boneless skinless chicken breasts or cutlets.
This will feed four people and I have two teenagers that are hungry, so this is a good amount for four with mashed potatoes.
Next, pour the cream of chicken soup over the top and spread it out.
Sprinkle the ranch seasoning over the top of the soup and chicken.
You can add salt and black pepper if you’d like, however, there is already salt in the seasoning.
Additional seasonings can be added if you love even more flavor. Garlic powder, parsley, dried onion, or even some cayenne for a little spice.
If you decide to add the seasonings, be sure to add them when you add the ranch seasonings.
Finally, pour the water into the slow cooker.
Try to pour the water over the ranch, so it will cook a little better and not be dried out on top.
Replace the lid and cook for seven hours on low.
Once the chicken is finished cooking, remove the lid, shred the chicken, and top some mashed potatoes.
You will end up with very tender chicken breasts that are easy to shred.
The gravy mixture is not a typical thick gravy or lumpy gravy, but it ends up with a buttery and rich flavor and it is one delicious gravy.
If you do want a thicker gravy, add a tablespoon of cornstarch to the meal about 30 minutes before it gets done cooking.
Be sure to add the cornstarch to water and mix before adding to the slow cooker or it will be lumpy.
Side Dishes (And Simple Recipes) That Go Well With Chicken and Gravy
Other Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow cooker lasagna is a great recipe that will feed a crowd.
- Crock Pot macaroni and cheese is always a great side dish and this is a recipe that is easy to make and super cheesy.
- Slow cooker creamy ranch chicken and potatoes is another delicious dinner that produces tender chicken and potatoes with a ton of flavor.
- Easy Crock Pot meatballs are a great dish for potlucks, parties, and gatherings. This is my favorite way to eat meatballs and it only calls for a handful of ingredients.
- Slow cooker ranch pork chops are always an easy meal that everyone loves. This is one of our favorite things around here. The recipe only takes a few minutes of prep time.
- Crock Pot beef stew is a hearty meal for those cold and wintry nights and is a comforting meal.
- Slow cooker BBQ beef is made with homemade barbecue sauce, is perfect for parties, and is always a hit on some sesame seed buns with some corn fritters on the side.
- The best slow cooker pork tenderloin from Debby over at Southern Home Express is another great recipe for those days you want an easy meal.
Variations And Bubstitutions For Slow Cooker Chicken And Gravy
One of the great things about this recipe is that you can make it in a variety of ways. Here are a few ideas of how you can do things differently:
- Swap the cream of chicken soup for cream of mushroom soup, cream of cheese soup, or cream of celery soup. This will change the flavors and add a different taste.
- Use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts for a richer and more flavorful chicken. Thighs tend to be juicier and more tender when cooked in a slow cooker.
- If you’re a fan of veggies, add some diced carrots, celery, potatoes, or onions to the slow cooker along with the chicken. This will add extra texture and flavor to the dish.
- For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free cream of chicken soup and gluten-free chicken broth. Make sure to check the labels of the ingredients to ensure they are gluten-free.
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken And Gravy Recipe
Check out the chicken and gravy recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is pure comfort food, a great addition to your dinner recipe rotation, and I think the whole family will love it.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your Crock Pot chicken recipe on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share with us so we can try it, too!
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ounce dry ranch salad dressing and seasoning mix
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can of cream of condensed chicken soup
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- Grease the slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Place the chicken into the bottom of the Crock Pot.
- Top with the chicken soup.
- Sprinkle the ranch seasoning on top and pour the water over the seasoning.
- Replace the lid and cook on low for seven hours.
- Once it is done cooking, shred chicken with a fork, and serve over mashed potatoes.
You can either use 4 chicken breasts or 6 chicken cutlets for the recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Total Fat: 2.3gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 205mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 28g
Nutrition is approximate.