Chicken and Potatoes
For this recipe, I can throw all of the ingredients in the Crock Pot early in the day and have dinner ready in the evening without spending much time in the kitchen at all.
Using the Slow Cooker
I love using my Crock Pot, or slow cooker, and try to take advantage of using it often, and I use it several times a week because it makes life easier.
You can place chicken, pork, ground beef, soup, or even cake in the slow cooker and you don’t have to do much after prepping it and starting the timer.
I always enjoy trying different ways to make gravy, and this is one of the best and creamiest I’ve tasted. And, it’s super easy to make it with the combination of only a few ingredients.
The gravy cooks up so wonderful and tastes great on top of the chicken, pork, or beef. Typically, I put potatoes in the slow cooker with pot roast, but I decided to add them to this recipe and they tasted amazing with chicken.
What Do I Need To Make the Chicken and Potatoes?
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post
- Chicken breasts
- Red potatoes
- Cream of chicken soup
- Dry ranch seasoning
- Dried minced onion
- Salt and pepper
How Do I Make the Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Potatoes Recipe?
- Add the two cans of cream of chicken soup, milk, dry ranch seasoning, minced onion, salt, and pepper to a large bowl and mix everything.
- Slice the potatoes into quarters and add them to the slow cooker.
- Place the four chicken breasts over the potatoes.
- Pour the soup mixture over the chicken, top with butter, and replace the slow cooker lid.
- Set the timer for seven hours on low.
- Once the chicken is cooked, shred with forks, stir the recipe, and serve.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Chicken and Potatoes in the Slow Cooker
Start by adding two cans of condensed cream of chicken soup to a large bowl. You can either use two cans, or one large can of soup.
The fun thing about this recipe is that you can switch out the cream of chicken for cream of mushroom or celery to get different flavors for different meals.
- Give this recipe for homemade condensed cream of chicken soup a try if you don’t have any at home.
- Or, add this super easy slow cooker chicken and Spanish rice to your dinner rotation.
Secondly, pour the milk into the bowl.
Thirdly, sprinkle the dry ranch dressing mix into the bowl.
Finally, add the minced onion, salt, and pepper to the bowl and mix.
The Slow Cooker
Start by slicing the red potatoes into quarters and adding to the slow cooker.
You can use any type of potato that you like, such as russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes, just be sure to slice them into smaller pieces.
Before I add the potatoes, I will grease the Crock Pot. It’s not necessary, but it does make clean-up a little easier.
Next, place the chicken breasts on top of the potatoes.
Pour the chicken soup mixture over the top of the chicken, add some butter and close the lid.
Set the timer on low for seven hours and don’t open the lid, if you can avoid it until the timer goes off.
You can also cook this on high for about four to five hours, but I personally think the chicken comes out more tender if you cook it on low for seven hours.
If you’re like me and forget to defrost your chicken, you can still place it in the Crock Pot frozen, but add at least one more hour to the cooking time.
Once the chicken is done cooking, take two forks and shred it. It should be super easy to shred because it’s so tender.
Once you shred the chicken, give everything a good stir and serve.
I sprinkled a little bit of dry parsley over the top to make it look pretty, but that’s optional.
This recipe fed all four of us–and my two boys can eat a lot, and we had plenty of leftovers. So, this meal will feed six to eight people and it’s very filling.
The potatoes come out so tender, and the gravy gives the meal tons of flavor.
If you’d like to make the recipe in a Dutch oven, here’s a great guide for conversion times: Williams Sonoma Conversion Guide
Check out the slow cooker creamy ranch chicken and potatoes recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is a great dinner especially on those busy nights, and I think you’ll love it.
Then, share your comments below and click here to share a picture of your chicken and potato recipe on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share with us so we can try it, too!
Connect with Back To My Southern Roots
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 - 10.5 oz. cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 8 small red potatoes
- 1 - 1 oz. pkg. dry ranch seasoning mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. dried minced onions
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- Add the cream of chicken soup, milk, dry ranch seasoning, minced onion, salt, and pepper to a large bowl and mix.
- Next, cut the potatoes into quarters and add them to the slow cooker.
- Place the chicken breasts over the top of the potatoes.
- Pour the ranch mixture over the top of the chicken, top with butter and close the lid on the slow cooker.
- Set the time for seven hours and put the slow cooker on low.
- After the chicken cooks for seven hours, remove the lid, shred the chicken, stir the recipe, and serve!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 367Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 1210mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 25g
Nutrition is approximate.
Check out more delicious recipes at: