Do you love Sloppy Joes? How about tater tots?
If you answered yes to both of those questions, then you’re going to love this Sloppy Joe tater tot casserole recipe.
It’s the perfect mix of two classic comfort foods. Plus, it’s super easy to make, and it’s sure to please a crowd.
So what are you waiting for? Grab some ingredients and get cooking!
An Easy Dinner The Whole Family Will Love
Sloppy Joe tater tot casserole with cheese is the perfect dish for those busy weeknights.
The recipe is easy to make, only requires a few ingredients, tastes fantastic, and is the ultimate comfort food.
The family favorite goes well with green beans, butter beans, sliced green bell peppers, black beans, corn, or your favorite vegetable.
We love Sloppy Joe sandwiches around here, make them often, and this is a fun way to do things a little differently.
What Ingredients Are Needed For The Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole Recipe?
- Ground beef
- Can of Sloppy Joe mix
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Frozen tater tots
Full printable recipe card with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post.
How To Make The Casserole
- Brown beef and drain the grease.
- Add the canned Sloppy Joe mix and mix well.
- Next, add half of the shredded cheese and mix.
- Spread the meat mixture on the bottom of a 9-inch by 13-inch greased baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and line the tater tots on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown.
- Optional: Broil for a few short minutes at the end to toast the tater tots (keep an eye on them as they will burn fast under the broiler).
Start by adding the cooked ground beef to a large mixing bowl.
If you have a large skillet, you can just add the ingredients to the skillet instead of dirtying another bowl. Just make sure you drain the grease first.
If you do add the cooked beef to a bowl and it’s hot, make sure the bowl can withstand the heat.
I used ground chuck for the recipe, but you can also use lean ground beef or ground turkey if you’d like it a little less fattening.
Next, add the can of Sloppy Joe sauce and mix.
I used a can of Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce for this recipe, but you can also use homemade sauce.
If you want a delicious homemade Sloppy Joe sauce, give Stacey’s a try over at Southern Bite.
Next, add half of the shredded cheese to the bowl and mix.
Spread the Sloppy Joe mix into a greased casserole dish and sprinkle the remainder of the cheese on top.
I always keep cooking spray handy, so I can grease the baking dish quickly.
Finally, spread the tater tots out on top of the Sloppy Joe mixture in a single layer. Bake for approximately 45 minutes.
If you like super crispy tater tots, you can broil them for about three to four minutes at the end. But be sure to keep an eye on them because they can burn fast.
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Other Delicious Recipes
- Easy crack chicken casserole recipe – this tasty recipe is another great way to get everyone to the table.
- Jiffy cornbread casserole with ground beef – this recipe has been one of our favorite ways to make our weeknight dinner when it’s a busy time.
- 5-Ingredient ground beef casserole – this is a great meal to make for dinner tonight or as one of your favorite make-ahead freezer meals.
- Easy meatloaf with oatmeal – this is another fun recipe that’s pure comfort food.
Ready to take your love of Sloppy Joes to the next level?
Then check out this amazing Sloppy Joe tater tot casserole recipe. It’s easy to make, and it’s sure to be a hit with the entire family. So what are you waiting for?
Get cooking the Sloppy Joe casserole recipe!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 15 ounce can Manwich Sloppy Joe Sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 32 ounce bag frozen tater tots
- Heat oven to 400-degrees and grease a 9-inch by 13-inch casserole dish.
- Cook ground meat and drain grease.
- Add the sloppy joe sauce to the meat and mix.
- Next, add one cup of shredded cheese to the meat and mix.
- Spread the beef mixture into the casserole dish and sprinkle the remainder of the shredded cheese on top.
- Cover with tater tots and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Optional: Broil for three to four minutes to get the tater tots crispy. (Keep an eye on them or they can burn fast).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 793Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 172mgSodium: 1407mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 53g
Nutrition is approximate.