It takes green bean casserole and knocks it up a notch for a creamy and unforgettable dish–Thanksgiving dinner will never be the same.
The Best Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
You can make this casserole side dish the day before you plan to cook it. Just leave the onions out so they don’t get soggy. You can add those right before you cook it.
A Budget-Friendly Side Dish
This is also a budget-friendly recipe so you won’t be spending a fortune on food for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.
And, this is a great recipe at any time of year, so you don’t have to reserve it for just the holidays.
Take the homemade cheesy green bean casserole to an office party or potluck and you’ll be a hit with everyone.
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole Ingredients
- Canned (or fresh) green beans
- Cream of chicken soup
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Crispy fried onions
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Watch How To Make Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
How Do You Make Cheesy Green Bean Casserole?
- Open the cans of green beans and drain the liquid. Add the green beans to a large bowl.
- Next, add the cream of chicken soup, shredded cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, half of the fried onions, and milk. Mix until well combined.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
- After 30 minutes, take the casserole out of the oven and sprinkle the remainder of the fried onions on top.
- Bake for 10-15 more minutes or until the onions are a darker golden brown.
How To Make Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
Open the two cans of green beans and drain the water from the can. Add the green beans and cream of chicken soup to a large bowl.
You can use fresh green beans for this recipe if you’d like. I used canned because we like the flavor and I am all about making easy recipes.
You can switch out the cream of chicken for cream of mushroom soup in this recipe.
I get readers that don’t like the cream of mushroom, so the cream of chicken is a great addition to the recipe. Just choose which one you like and use that soup.
Next, add the shredded cheddar cheese to the bowl.
Sharp or mild cheddar cheese will work great in the recipe–it’s up to you. It comes down to personal preference.
Add half the crispy fried onions to the bowl and mix well.
I used a 6 oz. container of French’s Crispy Fried Onions for the recipe.
Pour the milk into the bowl and mix again until everything is combined.
Grease an 8″ x 8″ baking dish and pour the green bean casserole with cheese into it.
Bake the casserole for 30 minutes. You can leave the dish uncovered while cooking.
Once the 30 minutes are up, remove the cheesy green bean casserole and sprinkle the remainder of the crispy onion rings over the top.
Bake again for about five to ten more minutes or until the onions are light brown and crispy.
Other side dish recipes to serve with cheesy green bean casserole
- Sweet potato casserole is a great addition to any holiday table. It’s a bit of a mix between a side dish and a dessert.
- Jiffy cornbread with creamed corn is easy to make and readers rave about it. It’s moist, filled with flavor, and a wonderful dish.
- Southern homemade butter beans is another great dish that is simple to make in a small slow cooker.
- The best mashed potatoes–these are a must-have on any holiday table.
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
Check out the best cheesy green bean casserole recipe below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is a delicious side dish that everyone will love.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your dish on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 2 - 14.5 oz. cans cut green beans, drained
- 1 - 10.5 oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (mild or sharp)
- 1 cup two-percent milk
- 1-1/2 cups crispy fried onions
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees and grease an 8" x 8" baking dish.
- Drain the liquid off of the green beans and add them to a large bowl.
- Next, add the cream of chicken soup, shredded cheddar cheese, milk, salt, and pepper to the bowl and mix.
- Add half of the crispy fried onions and mix well.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, sprinkle the remainder of the onions on top, and bake for five to ten more minutes or until the onions are brown.
I bought a 6 oz. container of French's Crispy Fried Onions for this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 861mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g
Nutrition is approximate.