Slow cooker cheesy chicken casserole is an easy dinner recipe that you can prep in less than ten minutes.
The delicious recipe requires little effort and can cook while you’re working or doing other things and it’s a great meal for the entire family.
Classic Comfort Food
The slow cooker cheesy chicken is one of those family-friendly meals that is classic comfort food. With the addition of noodles, cheese, bacon, soups, and chicken, you really can’t go wrong.
I have a picky eater and he loved the meal. Plus it’s filling for those kids that eat a lot (I have two that are growing fast), and it’s an easy weeknight dinner, especially on those super busy weeknights.
Slow Cooker Chicken Casserole Ingredient List
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
- Chicken breasts or cutlets
- Cream of condensed chicken soup
- Cream of condensed cheese soup
- Chicken broth or chicken stock
- Minced onion
- Parsley flakes
- Black pepper
- Garlic and herb seasoning
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Elbow macaroni noodles
- Cooked and crumbled bacon
How To Make Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Casserole
- Spray the slow cooker with some non-stick spray and line the bottom with the chicken.
- Next, spread the soups over the top and pour the broth into the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the garlic, and herb, salt, pepper, parsley, and minced onion over the top.
- Replace the lid and cook for seven hours on low heat.
- Remove the lid, shred the chicken, and add the elbow macaroni noodles.
- Pour hot water into the slow cooker and stir, covering the noodles.
- Replace the lid and cook for 45-minutes to one hour, stirring at least once.
- After the noodles are done cooking, add the shredded cheese and stir until melted. Serve the casserole and enjoy.
Start by spraying your Crock Pot with non-stick spray and adding the chicken.
You can either use four chicken breasts or six chicken cutlets. I happened to have cutlets on hand, so that is what I used. They are also boneless skinless chicken breasts.
If your chicken is frozen, don’t let that stop you from cooking them. You will need to add about 30 minutes to the cooking process.
I use frozen chicken all the time (mainly because we forget to set things out the night before).
Next, add the cream of chicken soup and the cream of cheese soup and spread it out over the chicken.
Some of you love cream of mushroom soup and cream of celery soup, so you can switch out the soups to get a little bit of a different flavor.
It’s a very versatile dinner.
Pour the chicken broth over the top.
If you’re wanting to watch your sodium intake, you can use a low sodium broth.
Sprinkle the salt, pepper, garlic, and herb seasoning, parsley flakes, and the dried minced onions over the top.
Place the lid on top and cook on the low heat setting for seven hours. It’s a slow cooking process, but it’s well worth the wait.
TIP: If you want to cut the time in half, you can put the Crock Pot on the high-temperature setting and cook for four hours before adding the macaroni noodles.
You can use fresh diced onions if you’d like to do that instead of the minced.
For this recipe, I used Mrs. Dash’s garlic and herb seasoning, but you can use your favorite brand for the dish.
Once the chicken is done cooking, it should be nice and tender.
Take two forks and shred the chicken. It’s such tender chicken, and that’s one of the things I love about this recipe.
Next, add the elbow macaroni noodles to the pot.
Pour hot water into the pot and stir the noodles into the liquid. Try to get all of the noodles under the liquid.
Replace the lid and cook for another 45-minutes to one hour, stirring at least once.
TIP: Use hot water when pouring it into the slow cooker, otherwise it will take longer to heat up and cook.
If you think the noodles need a little bit more water, you can add it and allow it to cook a little longer.
When the noodles are done cooking, add the shredded cheese and stir until melted.
Feel free to add more cheese, or a different type of cheese if desired. We are little cheese piggies here, so we don’t mind too much cheese.
Cook the bacon and sprinkle it on top or mix it into the slow cooker cheesy chicken casserole and it’s dinner time.
I sprinkled ours on top because I have a kid that is not a big fan of bacon.
Side Dish Recipes To Serve With Slow Cooker Chicken Casserole
These are some of our favorite recipes. They are great recipes with most main dishes and I know y’all will love them.
- Moist Jiffy cornbread – with a few hacks, you will have moist flavorful cornbread that everyone will love. Add a little melted butter on top and it’s out-of-this-world.
- Homemade creamed corn – this recipe is world’s better than the canned version and it perfect with any meal.
- Green beans and bacon – this is a great recipe because it’s so easy to make.
- Broccoli cheese casserole – if you’re wanting to get the kids to eat their veggies, this recipe is a great way to do it.
- Easy green salad – Two Peas and Their Pod have a delicious salad over on their site that y’all will love.
Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow cooker ranch pork chops – the pork chops come out so tender and flavorful.
- Chicken and rice Crock Pot recipe – this is one of the easiest recipes to make and the kids love it.
- Easy slow cooker chicken and gravy – this recipe has been a favorite slow cooker meal.
- Crock Pot Italian chicken – this is not a typical Crock Pot meal, but it always turns out great.
- Slow cooker lasagna – sometimes it’s nice to make lasagna without all of the work.
The Best Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Casserole
Check out the slow cooker chicken recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking!
This is pure comfort food, a great addition to your dinner recipe rotation, and I think the whole family will love this one-pot meal.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your recipe on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share with us so we can try it, too! We think you’ll love this easy recipe.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can cream of condensed chicken soup
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can cream of cheddar cheese soup
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon of minced dried onions
- 1 teaspoon of parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic and herb seasoning
- 1 (16 oz.) box of elbow macaroni noodles
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Four slices of bacon cooked and crumbled (Bacon is optional)
- Spray the slow cooker with non-stick spray and line the bottom of the pot with the chicken.
- Next, spread the cream of chicken and cheese soup over the top.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot.
- Sprinkle the salt, black pepper, parsley, garlic and herb seasonings, and dried onions over the top and gently stir on top.
- Place the lid over the top and cook for seven hours on low heat.
- After seven hours, shred the chicken and add the macaroni noodles.
- Pour the hot water into the pot and stir until the macaroni noodles are under the liquid.
- Replace the lid and cook for another 45-minutes to one hour on low, stirring at least once.
- When the macaroni noodles are done cooking, add the shredded cheese and stir until melted.
- Cook the bacon and crumble on top of the casserole.
TIP: This recipe is very versatile, so you can use cream of mushroom or celery, if desired.
TIP: If you'd like to cut the cooking time in half, you can put the slow cooker on high heat and cook for four hours before adding the macaroni noodles.
Once you shred the chicken, add the noodles and cook for approximately 30 minutes and check if the noodles are done cooking. If not, add a few more minutes to the time.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 946Total Fat: 66gSaturated Fat: 38gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 261mgSodium: 1650mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 52g
Nutrition is approximate.