You can even throw frozen chicken in the Crock Pot and it will be cooked by the time you get home in the evening. It’s an easy chicken and rice recipe to make.
Chicken and Rice Crock Pot Recipe
I love easy meals, and this is one of those super easy slow cooker chicken recipes. I can’t stress enough just how simple it is to make this meal for your family.
For some variety, give this slow cooker chicken and Spanish rice a try.
We sometimes go non-stop around here and it’s nice to come home after driving all over creation to a meal that is pretty much done. Oh, happy day.
I tend to cook a lot of chicken meals and my husband gets kind of tired of the same old recipes, so I try to mix it up a little bit, all while making my life easier.
This doesn’t start out looking super appetizing, but most Crock Pot meals don’t. You just have to trust going in that when it’s done, it’s delicious.
Ingredients You Will Need to Make the Best Chicken and Rice Recipe
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
- Crock Pot
- Rice (white, brown, or Spanish)
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic and onion powder
All you need to do is throw in the chicken breasts, water, butter, cream of mushroom soup, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir it up and put the lid on, and bam, you’re done! All you gotta do is wait for it to cook.
The hardest part is waiting those 6-8 hours until it’s done. Especially when the scent starts filling the house.
How To Make Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
- Add the water, chicken, butter, soup, seasonings, salt, and pepper to the Crock Pot.
- Cover and cook on low for six hours (eight hours if the chicken is frozen).
- After the cooking time, shred the chicken and then add the rice.
- Pour one to two cups of water over the rice to make sure it is covered.
- Cook for half an hour to one hour or until the rice is done.
- Add the shredded cheese, stir, and serve.
The easy chicken and rice recipe will feed six people and fill them up. If you’d like to add more chicken you can do that. I would add a little more rice at the end, as well.
Step-By-Step Instructions for the Chicken and Rice Recipe
Add the water, chicken, butter, cream of mushroom soup, seasonings, salt, and pepper to the Crock Pot.
Set your Crock Pot for six hours on medium, or eight hours on low. I am of the belief that if you set it for longer, it’s going to be a little more tender, whether it’s beef or chicken.
Once everything cooks shred the chicken inside of the Crock Pot. I usually use to forks to shred and that does the trick. Give everything a good stir again.
Next, add the rice. I put in two cups of rice. If you’ve added more than two chicken breasts, you need to add more rice. But, this amount feeds me, my husband, and my two teenage boys.
I bought my rice at Aldi’s Grocery Store. They have regular-sized bags of rice, but they also sell these ginormous bags of rice that could literally feed the entire neighborhood.
Once you add the dry rice, if the amount of liquid seems low, pour some water over it (try to cover all of the rice with water if you can), close the lid, and check back in about 1/2 hour to see how it’s doing. If it’s still a little crunchy, just add more water.
I’ve added Spanish rice to this chicken and rice Crock Pot recipe to give it a different flavor. However, if you decide to add the Spanish rice, I would leave out the garlic and onion seasonings.
Once the rice cooks, give everything a good stir. Mmm…it looks so delicious! Don’t you wish your fork would fit through the screen?
Finally, add the cheese. I didn’t have a ton left, so I added what I had. The more the cheese, the merrier. I could sit and eat a block of cheese. I love the stuff and you can never put enough on for me.
Stir everything again. Since it’s hot, the cheese will melt pretty fast. After you stir everything together a few times it will be ready to serve. See how easy that was?
I love meals that are this easy and will feed lots of people and make their tummies super happy!
This is an easy meal, but because of the time it takes for the slow cooker to cook it, it’s not a quick one. And, if you can get your chicken at a discount, this meal is under $10, and I like that a lot.
Can you put raw chicken in a crockpot?
- Yes, I do it all the time. The chicken just needs to get to an internal temperature of 165-degrees.
Are you supposed to lock the Crock Pot while cooking?
- Not necessarily. I don’t have a lock on mine and have never needed to lock it. If you have a lock, you can lock it if you are carrying it to another location. However, always use caution.
Can you put frozen chicken in Crock Pot?
- Yes, but you need to cook the chicken longer than the suggested time and make sure the internal temperature is above 165-degrees before eating. I put frozen chicken in my Crock Pot often.
Print out the Crock Pot Chicken and Rice recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! I love slow cooker recipes and I think you’ll love this one, too.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your meal on Pinterest. If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share with us so we can try it, too.
Connect with Me
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 3 cups water
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 stick butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups rice (plain or Spanish)
- 1-2 cups water for rice at the end of the recipe
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Cook for a total of 6 hours on medium or 8 hours on low.
- Add the chicken, 3 cups water, can of cream of mushroom soup, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, and butter to the Crock Pot.
- Stir and cover with the lid.
- Cook for 5 hours on medium, or 7 hours on low.
- After cooking, shred the chicken and add the rice.
- Add 1-2 cups of water over the rice, if needed. (Just make sure water covers the rice).
- Cook for one more hour, (check in 1/2 hour to see if rice is finished cooking).
- Add more water, if needed, to cook the rice more.
- Stir everything.
- When rice is finished cooking, add the cheese, mix well, and serve hot.
If you use the Spanish rice, do not add the onion and garlic seasonings, as the Spanish rice will already have seasonings.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 482Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 524mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 23g
And for dessert!
For more recipes: