We all love comfort food and this slow cooker meal, with simple ingredients, hits the spot.
A Family Favorite
Chicken and rice is a family favorite around here and we cook it at least once a week.
The recipe is so easy and versatile. Plus, it can cook while you’re working or out running errands.
You can even throw frozen chicken in the Crock Pot and it will be cooked by the time you get home in the evening.
It’s such an easy chicken and rice recipe to make.
Chicken and Rice Crock Pot Recipe
I love easy meals, and this is one of those super easy slow cooker chicken recipes. I can’t stress enough just how simple it is to make this meal for your family.
For some variety, give this slow cooker chicken and Spanish rice a try.
We sometimes go non-stop around here and it’s nice to come home after driving all over creation to a meal that is pretty much done.
I tend to cook a lot of chicken meals and my husband gets kind of tired of the same old recipes, so I try to mix it up a little bit, all while making my life easier.
This doesn’t start out looking super appetizing, but most Crock Pot meals don’t. You just have to trust going in that when it’s done, it’s delicious.
Ingredients You Will Need to Make the Best Chicken and Rice Recipe
- Crock Pot
- Skinless chicken breasts
- Rice (white, brown, or Spanish)
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic and onion powder
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
All you need to do is throw in the chicken breasts, water, butter, cream of mushroom soup, garlic powder, and onion powder.
Stir it up and put the lid on and you’re done! All you gotta do is wait for it to cook.
The hardest part is waiting those 6-8 hours until it’s done. Especially when the scent starts filling the house.
How To Make Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
- Add the water, chicken, butter, soup, seasonings, salt, and pepper to the Crock Pot.
- Cover and cook on low for seven hours (eight hours if the chicken is frozen).
- After the cooking time, shred the chicken and then add the rice.
- Pour one to two cups of water over the rice to make sure it is covered.
- Cook for half an hour to one hour or until the rice is done.
- Add the shredded cheese, stir, and serve.
The easy chicken and rice recipe will feed six people and fill them up.
If you’d like to add more chicken you can do that. I would add a little more rice at the end, as well.
Step-By-Step Instructions for the Chicken and Rice Recipe
Spray the inside of the Crock Pot with cooking spray.
Add the water, chicken breasts, butter, cream of mushroom soup, seasonings, salt, and pepper to the Crock Pot.
OPTIONAL: You can use chicken broth in the recipe, instead of water, to add a little more flavor.
If you are not a big fan of cream of mushroom soup, you can use a can of cream of chicken soup or cream of celery instead.
Set your Crock Pot for five hours on medium, or seven hours on low.
For best results, cook for a longer amount of time.
I am of the belief that if you set it for longer, it’s going to be a little more tender, whether it’s beef or chicken.
Once everything cooks shred the chicken inside of the Crock Pot.
I usually use two forks to shred and that does the trick. Give everything a good stir again.
Next, add the rice to the shredded chicken. I put in two cups of rice.
If you’ve added more than two chicken breasts, you need to add more rice. But, this amount feeds me, my husband, and my two teenage boys.
I bought my rice at Aldi’s Grocery Store. It helps make dinner budget-friendly.
They have regular-sized bags of rice, but they also sell these ginormous bags of rice that could literally feed the entire neighborhood.
Once you add the dry rice, if the amount of liquid seems low, pour some water over it (try to cover all of the rice with water if you can), close the lid, and check back in about 1/2 hour to see how it’s doing.
If it’s still a little crunchy, just add more water.
The rice will soak up all of the liquid as it cooks.
OPTIONAL: I’ve added Spanish rice to this chicken and rice Crock Pot recipe to give it a different flavor.
However, if you decide to add the Spanish rice, I would leave out the garlic and onion seasonings.
Once the rice cooks, give everything a good stir.
Mmm…it looks so delicious! Don’t you wish your fork would fit through the screen?
Finally, add the shredded cheddar cheese to the chicken and cooked rice.
I didn’t have a ton left, so I added what I had. The more the cheese, the merrier.
I could sit and eat a block of cheese. I love the stuff and you can never put enough on for me.
Stir everything again. Since it’s hot, the cheese will melt pretty fast. After you stir everything together a few times it is dinner time.
See how easy that was? The recipe is perfect for those cold weather days.
I love meals that are this easy and will feed lots of people and make their tummies super happy!
This is an easy meal, but because of the time it takes for the slow cooker to cook it, it’s not a quick one.
And, if you can get your chicken at a discount, this meal is under $10, and I like that a lot.
We head over to Fresh Market on Tuesdays, which are sale days for ground chuck and chicken. And, they have some great sales.
Can you put raw chicken in a crockpot?
- Yes, I do it all the time. The chicken just needs to get to an internal temperature of 165-degrees.
Are you supposed to lock the Crock Pot while cooking?
- Not necessarily. I don’t have a lock on mine and have never needed to lock it. If you have a lock, you can lock it if you are carrying it to another location. However, always use caution.
Can you put frozen chicken in Crock Pot?
- Yes, but you will need a longer cooking time than the suggested time and make sure the internal temperature is above 165-degrees before eating. I put frozen chicken in my Crock Pot often.
- I usually cook it about 30 to 60 minutes longer, if frozen.
How Do You Store The Slow Cooker Chicken?
- If you have any leftovers you can keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- To warm up the chicken in the microwave, add a tablespoon of water to keep the chicken from drying out.
More Family-Friendly Meals
- Slow cooker lasagna
- 5-Ingredient ground beef casserole (one of my most popular posts)
- Crock Pot Italian chicken
Cheesy Chicken and Rice
Print out the Crock Pot Chicken and Rice recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! I love slow cooker recipes and I think the whole family will love this, especially on those busy weeknights.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your meal on Pinterest. If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share with us so we can try it, too.
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 3 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 stick butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups rice (plain or Spanish)
- 1-2 cups water for rice at the end of the recipe
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Cook for a total of 6 hours on medium or 8 hours on low.
- Add the chicken, three cups of water, can of cream of mushroom soup, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and butter to the Crock Pot.
- Stir and cover with the lid.
- Cook for 5 hours on medium, or 7 hours on low.
- After cooking, shred the chicken and add the rice.
- Add 1-2 cups of water over the rice, if needed. (Just make sure water covers the rice).
- Cook for one more hour, (check in 1/2 hour to see if rice is finished cooking).
- Add more water, if needed, to cook the rice more.
- Stir everything.
- When rice is finished cooking, add the cheese, mix well, and serve hot.
If you use the Spanish rice, do not add the onion and garlic seasonings, as the Spanish rice will already have seasonings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 servings Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 563Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 999mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 32g
Nutrition is approximate.