This easy southern praline pecans recipe is one of the best candied sweets recipes out there.
It’s a delicious dessert that features a buttery and creamy rich flavor. They are rich, decadent, and always a treat around the holiday season.
In this easy recipe I show you how to make the southern pecan pralines so that yours will be the hit of the party.
If you like pecans, you’ll love this sweet recipe.
I love this pecan praline recipe because it’s so easy to make and turns out fantastic.
This old-fashioned southern treat will satisfy every sweet treat craving that you have.
I always like to try different recipes, but I don’t like recipes that are too hard to make, and I’ve always been a bit nervous about making praline pecan candy.
But, this recipe is such a simple one and I am proud to say it’s a lot easier than you’d think, even if you’re doing it for the first time.
I made some of these the other day and sent some to my dad, who loves praline pecans, so they make the best holiday gift, even if you’re sending them a couple of days away.
He said they tasted great when they arrived.
Are pralines and pecans the same thing?
No, pecans are actually a nut and pralines are made out of pecans and caramelized sugar. Pralines can also be made out of almonds or other nuts and caramelized sugar.
How long does it take for pralines to harden?
If you get the temperature up to 234-degrees, the candy will set up within 20 minutes to one hour. However, if you cook it and bring it to a higher temperature it will harden faster but will be more crumbly.
What are pecan pralines made of?
Pecan praline candy is usually made with pecans, white and brown sugar, heavy cream, butter, and vanilla.
If you need a dish to bring to a party, give South Your Mouth’s pecan cheddar cheese ring a try.
Ways to eat/use your candy
- Add praline pecans over ice cream
- Package them up and send them to a friend as a gift
- Hand them out at the office Christmas party
- Take them to a potluck
- Top a cake with the treats
- Break them up and add to a batter of brownies
- Eat them all yourself (hee hee, I like this idea a lot)
What Ingredients Do I Need for Praline Pecans?
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed below in the recipe card. Nutritional information listed below, as well.
- Candy thermometer
- Cookie scoop or spoon
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
- Heavy whipping cream
- Tin foil
- Non-stick spray
- Cupcake liners (optional)
How To Make the Praline Pecan Recipe
- Start by adding the sugar to the saucepan.
- Next, add the brown sugar, baking soda, and heavy cream. Stir until well combined.
- Bring the mixture to a full boil on medium to high heat until the thermometer reaches 234-degrees, stirring often.
- Once the mixture reaches 234-degrees, remove it from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla extract. Then add the pecans and stir until covered.
- Scoop onto a cookie sheet or tin foil and allow sugared pecans to cool.
Pecan Praline Recipe Steps
Start by adding the white sugar to the saucepan. Turn the saucepan to medium-high or high heat.
Next, add the brown sugar.
Sprinkle the baking soda on top.
Pour the heavy whipping cream into the sugar mixture and stir it until everything is combined.
This is how the mixture will look when it’s starting to cook.
Next, add the thermometer to the saucepan.
TIP: Be sure the thermometer doesn’t touch the bottom of the pan or the reading will be incorrect.
Bring the mixture to a boil and keep it boiling until the temperature reaches 234-degrees, stirring often.
It will take about 15-20 minutes to get to that temperature.
The color will continue to darken into a caramel color as it gets hotter. If it seems like it’s going to boil over, just stir it and it will settle down a bit. Just be careful because it’s hot.
If you don’t have a thermometer, you can use the soft ball stage method. I don’t usually do it, because I am terrible at it. I like to use the thermometer instead.
Once the temperature of the ingredients reach 234-degrees, remove the saucepan from the heat and add the butter and vanilla extract, and stir until the butter is melted.
Next, add the pecans and stir to coat. Be sure to work fairly fast because the candy will begin to harden.
More desserts you’ll love:
- Pecan pie cheesecake bars are such a wonderfully decadent treat. They are perfect for the holidays, or any occasion.
- This white chocolate macadamia nut cookie recipe has been a huge hit.
- Brookies are such a great recipe when you can’t decide between cookies or brownies.
- Butterscotch pie is a comforting dessert that is just like grandma’s.
More candy recipes:
- Turtle candy is easy to make and combines pecans, caramel, and chocolate.
- This peanut brittle recipe is perfect for the holidays.
- Divinity candy is a favorite that families have been making for decades.
- Rock candy is a fun treat to make with the kids, and you can create all different colors.
Scoop the candy out onto tinfoil, sprayed with non-stick spray, and allow them to cool. They will set up pretty fast.
I used a cookie scoop to scoop the pralines, but you can also use a spoon.
Another great option is to use cupcake liners if you like your homemade praline pecan recipe to be a little more shapely.
Simply set them onto a large baking sheet and scoop the mixture into the liners.
Once they cool you can either leave them in the liners or pop them out.
They are so delicious and I love the crunchy pecans and rich flavors. It’s a recipe you will want to add to your recipe box.
How Do You Store The Pecan Pralines Recipe?
You can either keep the pecans in a large Ziplock baggie, or in an airtight container. But, wait until the homemade candy cools before closing it up so you don’t get moisture in the bag or container.
Check out the praline pecans recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is a great dessert any time of the year and I think you’ll love it.
Then, share your comments below and click here to share a picture of your pecans on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share with us so we can try it, too!
Easy Pecan Praline Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups white granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups pecan halves
- Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, and heavy cream to a saucepan on medium-high to high. Stir until well blended.
- Place the thermometer in the saucepan, being careful not to allow it to touch the saucepan.
- Stir often.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil and bring the temperature to 234-degrees on the thermometer.
- Once the temperature reaches 234-degrees, remove the saucepan from the heat and add the butter and vanilla extract. Stir until the butter is melted.
- Next, add the pecans and stir until coated.
- Scoop the pralines out onto the greased tinfoil and allow to cool for a few minutes. The pralines will continue to harden over the next few hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 490Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 76mgCarbohydrates: 81gFiber: 2gSugar: 79gProtein: 2g
Nutrition is approximate.