Turtle candy is one of the easiest recipes to make and you only need three ingredients. The rich-flavored candy is ready in less than 20 minutes and is the perfect gift for friends and family.
A Favorite Candy
Turtle candy is definitely one of my favorite candies, especially around the holidays.
Toasted pecans, melted caramel, and drizzled milk chocolate call out my name (probably too often).
The combination of the three ingredients creates a fantastic candy dessert that is easy to store and share (if you don’t eat them all first).
I usually stock up on pecans, chocolate chips, and caramel around the holidays because I end up making so many desserts that include these ingredients.
My youngest son loves to make candy apples in the fall, so we stock up on caramel pretty early.
If you purchase turtles, they will, of course, be delicious, but usually very expensive. Making turtle candy at home is more economical and fresher.
What Ingredients Do I Need For The Turtle Candy Recipe?
- Pecan halves
- Wrapped caramels
- Milk Chocolate Chips
How Do I Make The Homemade Turtle Candy?
- Place the pecan halves on a cookie sheet, on top of parchment paper, and toast for about ten minutes in the oven.
- Once the pecans have cooled, place them in small groups of about six pecans on your cookie sheet.
- Melt the caramels in the microwave for about one to one and a half minutes.
- Drizzle the caramel over the groups of pecans.
- Next, melt the milk chocolate chips in the microwave for about one to one and a half minutes and drizzle over the top of the caramel.
- Place the cookie sheet in the refrigerator until the chocolate and caramel harden.
How To Make Turtle Candy
Start by spreading your pecan halves out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Toast the pecans for about 10 minutes and then allow them to cool.
Once the pecans cool, place them into groups of six or seven pecans.
Parchment paper works great for this recipe because the caramel doesn’t stick to the paper and you won’t have a big mess to clean up when you’re done.
Next, unwrap 35 caramels and place them into a microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave the caramels for about one to one and a half minutes. Keep an eye on the caramels so they don’t boil.
The caramels might not all be melted after the time in the microwave. Stir until the caramels are completely melted.
Take a spoon and drizzle the caramel over the top of the pecans, making sure you get the caramel on each pecan, which will help hold them together.
Next, add the milk chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave for about one to one and a half minutes and stir to melt.
Take another spoon and drizzle the chocolate over the top of the caramel.
Using an entire bag of chocolate chips will give you plenty of chocolate, so feel free to cover a lot of the caramel and pecans.
If you have enough room, place the turtle candy in your refrigerator while still on the cookie sheet until the chocolate hardens.
If you don’t have enough room in the fridge, just leave them out on the counter until the chocolate hardens.
The caramel will harden fairly fast.
If you’d like to give the turtles away as a gift, line a metal can with parchment paper and add some turtles.
The dollar stores usually have cute holiday tins that are very inexpensive and perfect for gift giving.
Other holiday candy recipes you’ll love:
- Divinity candy is a wonderful treat around the holidays.
- Rock candy is fun and easy to make and always turns out so colorful.
- Old fashioned fudge with real peanut butter is a must-have each Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Turtle Candy Recipe
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start creating! This is a wonderful candy recipe for the holidays!
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your turtle candies on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 35 caramels
- 12 oz. milk chocolate chips
- 8 oz. toasted pecans
Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Place the pecans on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and toast for about 10 minutes.
- Allow the pecans to cool. Once they are cool, place them in piles of six or seven pecans.
- Unwrap the caramels and add them to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for about one to one and a half minutes. Stir to completely melt.
- Take a spoon and drizzle over the pecans, making sure to get caramel on each pecan to hold them together.
- Next, add the chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl and melt for about one to one and a half minutes. Stir to help finish melting.
- Drizzle over the caramel with a spoon.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until the chocolate hardens.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 57mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
Nutrition is approximate.