Copycat Homemade Hamburger Helper beef stroganoff is a hearty one-pot skillet pasta meal that the whole family will love. It’s an easy recipe that you will want to add to your weekly rotation of meals.
The dinner made with a rich creamy sour cream sauce is a delicious meal that takes about 40 minutes to make from start to finish.
Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff
Easy ground beef stroganoff features ground beef, creamy sauce, and tender egg noodles.
It’s perfect for those busy weeknights when you don’t have a ton of time, but want to feed your family well.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it’s a one-pot meal. So, the easy recipe will save you time on extra dishes.
Hamburger Helper Flavors
Hamburger Helper is one of our favorite go-to meals around here and through their boxed versions, they offer a lot of different flavors, one of which is beef stroganoff.
The boxed recipe is always delicious, but you have to admit, the homemade version wins every time. And, you know exactly what is going into your meal.
Cheesy one-pot Hamburger Helper is another great flavor.
Easy Homemade Hamburger Helper Stroganoff Ingredients
The recipe calls for a few simple ingredients that everyone will love. It’s a great meal for picky eaters.
- Ground beef
- Beef broth
- Egg noodles
- Sour cream
- Salt and pepper
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Hamburger Helper Instructions
- Brown the meat in a large skillet. Drain the grease and return the meat to the pan.
- Next, add the cornstarch, salt, pepper, milk, and beef broth to the skillet and mix well.
- Add the noodles and stir until they are mostly covered with liquid.
- Cover with the lid and bring to a boil on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once the mixture boils, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the noodles are done. Stir occasionally while cooking.
- When the noodles are done cooking, remove the lid and add the sour cream and mix well. Cook about five more minutes (because you added cold sour cream) and serve.
Brown the beef in a large skillet. Once the meat is cooked, drain the excess grease and return it to the pan.
I used a pound of ground beef, but if you need more, you can easily double the recipe.
If you’re trying to watch calories you can use lean ground beef for this recipe.
Next, add the salt, pepper, and cornstarch to the cooked ground meat.
Pour the milk into the pan.
Add the beef broth and stir everything.
If you’re wanting to watch your salt intake, you can use low sodium beef broth for the recipe.
Add the uncooked pasta noodles to the pan and stir until they are mostly covered with liquid.
Bring the liquid to a boil on medium-high heat, and then turn down to medium heat, and cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
Stir occasionally to keep the noodles from sticking to the pan.
Be sure not to walk away as the milk can boil over quickly and you’ve got a big mess on your hands, and then you’re stuck using lots of elbow grease cleaning burnt milk off the stove (speaking from experience).
I used egg noodles for the recipe, but if you have another type of noodle on hand that will work just as well.
Once the noodles are tender, turn the burner down to low heat and add the sour cream.
Stir everything well and allow the stroganoff to cook for about five more minutes to heat up the sour cream.
The addition of sour cream will make it taste so much creamier and give it so much added flavor.
The liquid will continue to thicken.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and serve.
The quick dinner goes with green beans, cooked broccoli, corn, or any of your favorite veggies.
Easy Side Dishes
- Moist Jiffy cornbread is a great side dish with a variety of meals, including this Hamburger Helper stroganoff.
- Cheesy green bean casserole is another easy side dish that packs a lot of flavors.
- Homemade creamed corn is another great recipe that goes well with stroganoff. But, who are we kidding? It goes great with anything.
- Broccoli cheese casserole is a wonderful way to get the kids to eat their veggies.
- Grab a small slow cooker and cook some butter beans on the side for a delicious veggie addition.
- Mandy, over at South Your Mouth, has a delicious recipe for roasted Brussels sprouts that you’ll love.
Homemade Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff is classic comfort food and you probably have most of the ingredients in the house.
And, it’s a budget-friendly meal, which we all love.
We buy our ground meat on sale day at The Fresh Market and freeze the extra. It’s a great way to save money and it’s our favorite meat, as well.
Beef Stroganoff Homemade Hamburger Helper Recipe
Check out the beef stroganoff recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking!
This is pure comfort food, a great addition to your dinner recipe rotation, and I think the whole family will love it.
Plus, it’s so much better than the boxed version.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your copycat recipe on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share with us so we can try it, too!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 8 oz. egg noodles
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Cook the ground beef in the skillet until brown. Drain the grease and return the meat to the skillet.
- Add the salt, pepper, and cornstarch, and mix.
- Pour the milk and beef broth into the skillet and mix.
- Add the noodles and stir until mostly covered with liquid.
- Replace the lid and bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Give it a good stir on occasion.
- Once the mixture boils reduce the heat to medium and stir occasionally. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the noodles are done.
- Finally, stir the sour cream into the cream sauce and mix well. Turn the burner down on low and cook about five more minutes to make sure it's hot. Serve.
TIP: Be sure not to walk away while the meal cooks, as the milk can boil over quickly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 804mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 26g
Nutrition is approximate.