Hamburger vegetable soup is the perfect soup recipe to warm you up when it’s cold and it’s super easy to make.
The hamburger soup recipe makes a large pot that will feed a family of eight, plus, you’ll have plenty of leftovers. This is a very inexpensive, budget-friendly meal that costs less than $15.
I gotta tell ya, my family loves this hamburger and vegetable soup. The great thing about it is that you don’t have to be exact with the ingredients. If you only have two potatoes, that’s fine. Lots of carrots, and only a few pieces of celery? That’s ok, too.
This is also a fast recipe that cooks in under 30 minutes.
What do I need to make the hamburger vegetable soup?
- Ground beef
- Onion (diced)
- Celery (diced)
- Garlic (minced)
- Diced tomatoes
- Green bell pepper (diced)
- Red bell pepper (diced)
- Carrots (diced)
- Potatoes (cubed)
- Beef stock
- Tomato paste
How do I make the hamburger soup recipe?
- Cut up the vegetables and set them to the side.
- Saute the onions and garlic in a skillet. Add the ground beef and cook until browned. Drain.
- Peel and slice the potatoes.
- Add all of the vegetables to a large saucepan.
- Next, add the beef stock, tomato paste, salt, and pepper and stir.
- Add the seasonings and ground beef to the saucepan and stir.
- Cover the saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn the temperature down to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Full recipe and printable instructions listed below.
Start by cutting up your veggies and set to the side.
I added carrots, celery, red and green bell peppers, and potatoes. I also cut up onions and had some minced garlic.
I’m throwing a couple more pics in because the veggies are so colorful!
If you’d like to watch your fat intake, you can make this with the lower fat hamburger meat, or turkey meat.
Add the onions and garlic to the skillet with just a touch of butter. I added them just before I put the meat in the skillet.
It smells soooo good.
While your beef is browning, peel and dice your potatoes.
Everyone around here likes big chunks of potatoes, so I didn’t cut them very small. (I put them in water so they wouldn’t turn brown while the meat was still cooking–I’m usually not this fast at cutting).
Once your meat is done cooking, take it off of the stove and drain the grease and set it aside.
TIP: I will pour my meat into a colander and let it sit in the sink for a minute so the grease will drip out. You can let it sit while you’re getting the soup ready to cook.
In a large saucepan, add the veggies and pour the beef stock into the pot.
Add the diced tomatoes and stir everything together.
Next, add the tomato paste, salt, and pepper and give it another good stir
Now, add your potatoes and seasonings.
Add the beef to the pot and stir again. If you think you need more liquid, you can add more beef stock or more water at this point.
Cover and bring the beef soup recipe to a boil. Once it boils, lower it to a simmer and set the timer for about 20 minutes.
Cook the soup on simmer until the timer is done or the potatoes are tender. It’s a wonderful and healthy piping hot ground beef soup recipe for the family.
Look at all that steam!
Looking for another recipe to warm you up? Here’s an easy chili cornbread skillet meal.
Hamburger Vegetable Soup
For a delicious side, add some moist Jiffy Cornbread.
Check out the hamburger vegetable soup recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is a great meal any time of the year and I know you’ll love it.
Then, share your comments below and click here to share a picture of your soup on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
Connect with Back To My Southern Roots
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/4 onion (diced)
- 1-2 stalks celery (diced)
- 1 Tbsp. garlic (minced)
- 1 - 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (diced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 4 potatoes (cubed)
- 3 cups beef stock
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. parsley
- Cut the vegetables and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to a skillet with a small amount of butter.
- Next, add the meat and cook until done. Drain the grease.
- Peel and slice the potatoes.
- Add the celery, diced tomatoes, green and red bell peppers, and carrots to a large saucepan.
- Now, add the beef stock to the saucepan and stir.
- Pour in the tomato paste, salt, and pepper and stir.
- Add the potatoes, seasonings, and the ground beef mixture to the saucepan and stir.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once the soup boils, lower the temperature to simmer.
- Cook for 20 minutes on simmer or until the potatoes are tender.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 462mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 20g
Nutrition is approximate.
For more great recipes check out: