This easy chili cornbread recipe with Jiffy, in a cast-iron skillet, is a tasty meal that won’t break the bank but will leave everyone full and satisfied, even if you have teenagers that can eat a lot.
The chili cornbread skillet is a great meal to fix for tailgating parties, a quick supper, or to freeze and thaw out later when you’re in a hurry.
Chili Cornbread Recipe with Jiffy
The dish is kind of like a cornbread chili pie and it bakes right inside of the skillet.
And, this is a great meal for several reasons:
- The chili cornbread skillet meal will fill up your family and cost less than $15
- If you’re watching your waistline, you can use lean ground beef or ground turkey instead
- It pretty much hits all the food groups in one dish – and it’s delicious!
I try to make inexpensive foods that are going to fill up everyone’s tummies. I have two growing boys, besides my husband, and it’s not always easy to keep those guys full.
This is a great dish for tailgate parties, potlucks or having a few friends over, and you can cut it into pie sections and share some with everyone.
What y’all will need for this cornbread chili recipe:
(Full recipe and printable instructions listed below)
- Ground beef
- Garlic (minced)
- Onion (diced)
- Can of chili beans in chili sauce
- Chili powder
- Red and green bell peppers
- Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- Sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
How do I make the chili cornbread bake recipe?
- Cook the ground beef, onion, and garlic and drain.
- Add the beans and chili powder to the beef mixture and stir well.
- Slice the peppers and line them along the bottom of a cast-iron skillet.
- Pour the beef and bean mixture over the top of the peppers.
- In a bowl, mix the corn muffin mix with the eggs and milk and pour it over the top of the meat.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until cornbread is done.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and garnish with sour cream, if desired.
Cook the Meat
Cook the beef, onion, and garlic in a cast-iron skillet until brown. Drain the grease off.
Saving Money on Meat
To save money on this meal, and a lot of others, I head on over to a local grocery store on Tuesdays to get the meat on sale.
The store sells boneless chicken and ground beef for about half the price each Tuesday, so I stock up and put it in the freezer until I need it. It’s a great way to save a lot of money.
Pour the chili beans in chili sauce, and the chili powder, on top of the ground beef, mix it up and set aside.
Cut the green and red bell peppers into strips.
Grease the bottom of your cast iron skillet with butter or non-stick spray. Next, line the green and red bell peppers along the bottom.
Gently pour the beef and bean mixture into the skillet and spread it out evenly. Did I ever tell you I love my cast iron skillet? It is so versatile. It can go right from the stovetop to the oven.
Mix the Jiffy Cornbread
Next, add the two packages of cornbread muffin mix to a medium-sized bowl. Add the eggs and milk and mix it up. Pour it gently on top of the meat mixture and spread it out.
I used Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix for this recipe.
Bake the Dinner
Bake in the oven at 350-degrees for approximately 25-30 minutes. The cornbread will be toasty brown on top. A cake tester or knife should come out clean when it’s done.
- Once it’s cooked, take a knife and loosen the edges of the cornbread so it will flip over easily.
- Let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- Slide a knife around the edges one more time to make sure the cornbread isn’t stuck to the sides of the skillet.
- Take a plate that is larger than the skillet and place it upside down over the top. Very carefully, and with potholders, flip the cornbread skillet meal over onto the plate – holding the two together (just like you would flip over a pineapple upside-down cake). It should slide right out.
- Top it with shredded cheddar cheese and serve! It’s enough to feed 4 people, fill them up, and have a few leftovers.
How many people will the Chili Cornbread Recipe with Jiffy feed?
You can feed about four people with the recipe because the cornbread, beans, and meat will help go a long way. I have two teenage boys and this fed all four of us and no one remained hungry.
Can I cook this in a regular casserole dish?
Yes, just be sure to grease it and a 9″ x 9″ dish should work fine.
Check out the chili cornbread with Jiffy recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! I love this recipe and I think you’ll love this one, too.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your dinner on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us.
Connect with Back To My Southern Roots
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tsp. garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup onion (diced)
- 1 - 15.5 oz. can chili beans in chili sauce
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 2 - 8.5 oz. boxes corn muffin mix
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Sour cream for the topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Add the ground beef, onion, and garlic to a skillet and cook until brown and done.
- Drain the grease off of the beef mixture and add to a medium sized bowl.
- Add the beans and chili powder to the beef mixture and stir. Set aside.
- Spray a cast iron skillet with non-stick spray or wipe with butter.
- Slice the green and red bell peppers into strips and line the bottom of a cast iron skillet.
- Gently pour the beef over the bell peppers.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the two boxes of corn muffin mix, eggs, and milk.
- Gently pour the corn muffin mix over the meat mixture.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until cornbread is done (cake tester will come out clean).
- Let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- Slide a knife around the edge of the skillet to make sure the cornbread isn't stuck to the sides.
- Place a larger plate over the cast iron skillet and invert the cornbread chili meal.
- Sprinkle with cheese and top with sour cream and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 487Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 871mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 5gSugar: 15gProtein: 28g
Nutrition is approximate.
For more delicious recipes: