One-pot Hamburger Helper beef pasta is an easy recipe to make, and a hearty and filling meal for the whole family, even the pickiest eaters.
The casserole meal is great for feeding those hungry kids or large groups.
Homemade Hamburger Helper Beef Pasta
For years I worked for a company that built natural gas pipelines and we worked a lot of hours, and I was always looking for easy dinner ideas.
It was tough to come home and make a good meal that didn’t take a lot of time. I’d usually get a box of Hamburger Helper, which often came in handy and the kids love it.
The easy one-pot recipe is a great way to feed the family, plus you know all of the wholesome ingredients that are going into the pan.
This is a very easy recipe with ground beef, seasonings, macaroni noodles, broth, and lots of cheese for a very delicious dinner.
And, it’s some of our favorite comfort food around here. The kids loved the recipe and I have one that is very picky.
Want to know the best part about this recipe? It’s a one-pot meal. You won’t be left with a lot of dishes at the end and that makes life a lot easier.
What Ingredients Do I Need For The Copycat Hamburger Helper Recipe?
- Ground beef
- Diced onion
- All-purpose flour
- Beef broth
- Tomato sauce
- Italian Seasoning
- Black pepper
- Garlic salt
- Macaroni noodles
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Hot water
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
All-purpose flour – flour is going to help thicken the liquid in this recipe.
Beef broth – I used beef broth for this recipe because it has so much flavor. If you don’t have any beef broth, you can also use chicken broth for the recipe and it will also taste great.
Tomato sauce – tomato sauce is a great addition to the recipe because it adds a bit of a kick to the flavor, but it’s not over the top.
Macaroni noodles – for this recipe I used macaroni noodles, but you can use whatever noodles you have on hand. Noodles are also a good way to bulk up a meal and help fill up those kiddos that are always hungry, and you can do it on a budget.
This is also a great meal for potlucks, family gatherings, and office parties.
Shredded cheddar cheese – We love the flavor of cheddar cheese, and it mimics the flavor of boxed Hamburger Helper.
How To Make The Cheeseburger Macaroni Recipe
- Start by cooking the ground beef and adding the onions to a large saucepan on medium heat. Once you brown the ground beef, drain the grease, and put the meat and onions back in the pan.
- Next, add the flour and mix.
- Pour the beef broth and milk into the pan and stir.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and garlic salt into the pan and mix.
- Add the macaroni noodles to the pan, along with the water, and mix well. Try to make sure the macaroni noodles are covered with liquid.
- Bring to a boil and cover with a lid.
- Turn the temperature down to low and cook until the noodles are done about 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
How To Make Hamburger Helper From Scratch
Add the ground beef and diced onions to a large saucepan. Brown the ground beef, drain the grease and put the meat and onions back in the pan.
I didn’t have a lot of grease in my meat this time, so I didn’t drain it. I like to buy our meat from The Fresh Market.
They have a sale every week, so we get a great price on it, and we like their meat better than any other store around here.
TIP: You can also make this with lean ground beef.
Next, add the all-purpose flour to the pan and mix.
The reason I like to add the flour to the pan at this point is that it will keep the flour from globbing up if I add it after the liquid.
Pour the beef broth into the pan. The beef broth is going to give it a lot of extra flavors.
Next, pour the milk into the pan.
If you don’t like milk, or can’t drink it, you can substitute it with some more beef broth or water. It will still taste great.
Add the Italian seasonings and garlic salt to the pan and mix.
I used Italian seasonings from the store and didn’t combine any. You can really add any seasonings that you would like at this point.
But, the Italian seasonings are great for adding some different flavors to the recipe.
Next, add the salt and ground pepper to the pot and mix.
Pour the tomato sauce into the pan and mix well.
Finally, add the macaroni noodles and hot water and give it a good stir until the noodles are covered.
I try to press the noodles under the liquid so they will cook better.
Bring the food to a boil and place the lid on top.
Once you bring the food to a boil, lower the temperature to the low setting and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the noodles are done.
Stir a couple of times while the food cooks.
TIP: If you need a little bit more liquid, add 1/4 of a cup of hot water and stir. Give it a few more minutes to cook and the noodles should cook all the way.
There shouldn’t be any liquid when the noodles are done cooking.
Once the noodles are done, add the shredded cheddar cheese and stir until it is melted.
It comes out so cheesy and delicious.
What Are Good Side Dishes With Hamburger Helper?
- Roasted red potatoes are a great side dish, and they are so tasty. My mouth is watering just thinking about them.
- Creamed corn, because corn is just good with everything!
- Homemade dinner rolls are easy to make and turn out fluffy.
- Green beans and bacon are an easy side dish to put together, and you’ll be getting those greens into the kids.
- Broccoli cheese casserole is another great way to get the kids to eat their veggies, and it’s a large side dish if you’re having a gathering.
- Corn fritters are a great addition to the table and are always a crowd-pleaser.
One-Pot Homemade Hamburger Helper Beef Pasta Recipe
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is a wonderful dinner.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your meal on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
One Pot Hamburger Helper Beef Pasta Recipe
One pot Hamburger Helper beef pasta is an easy recipe to make, and a hearty and filling meal for the family, even the pickiest eaters.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 lb. macaroni noodles
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- Add the ground beef and onions to the pan and cook until the beef is browned. Drain the grease if necessary.
- For the next step, add the flour and mix into the ground beef mixture.
- Pour the beef broth and milk into the pan.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasonings, garlic salt, salt, and pepper into the pan and mix well.
- Pour the tomato sauce into the skillet and mix well.
- Add the macaroni noodles to the pan, as well as the hot water, and stir. Make sure the macaroni is covered with liquid.
- Bring to a boil, place the lid on top, and turn the temperature down to low.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the noodles are done, add the cheese and stir until melted.
The cooking time is 15-20 minutes, but if the noodles are not done, you can add a few minutes.
If you need more liquid, add 1/4 cup of water and stir. Allow the food to cook for five more minutes or until the noodles are done cooking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 997mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 27g
Nutrition is approximate.
Tuesday 20th of September 2022
This came out really good! My son is picky and he lovesd it. These are simple ingredients, that most people have in their pantries!
Tuesday 20th of September 2022
Great to hear! I have a picky eater, so I am glad yours liked it!
Wednesday 13th of July 2022
For2#’s of goundbeef,Would You double this recipe or would it be too much liquid?
Friday 15th of July 2022
You wouldn't necessarily need to double the recipe, because I think it might end up being too much liquid. But I would add a little bit more liquid, if needed. You might need to add a touch more flour to help thicken it.
Friday 4th of February 2022
Why does this have tomato and cheese? I've had the hamburger helper beef pasta ALOT and it doesn't have either one in it.
Saturday 5th of February 2022
Hi Kristi, you don't have to add those things if you don't want to. It adds a lot of flavor.
Jiffy Cornbread Casserole with Ground Beef - Back To My Southern Roots
Monday 18th of October 2021
[…] muffin mix is filling and mixes up well with veggies, ground beef, onions, and cheese–plus, the casserole recipe is super easy to […]
19 Foods That Start With E - Back To My Southern Roots
Tuesday 8th of June 2021
[…] this one-pot Hamburger Helper beef pasta recipe a […]