The delicious snack recipe is made with homemade caramel and it tastes better than any store-bought popcorn snack you’ll find on the shelves.
The recipe is easy to make and you can make at least two large Ziplock bags full of caramel popcorn with chocolate.
The great thing about this recipe is that it is versatile. You can add pretzels, peanuts, pecans, walnuts, M&M’s, peppermint candies, or just about anything you can think of.
You can even trade out the chocolate for white chocolate, or live on the edge and add both!
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Caramel Popcorn With Chocolate?
- Vegetable oil
- Popcorn kernels
- Brown sugar
- Karo syrup
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
- Milk chocolate, semi-sweet, or white chocolate chips
- Optional: pecans, walnuts, candy, candy canes, M&M’s, or anything you’d like to add.
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How Do I Make The Caramel Popcorn?
- Pop the popcorn kernels according to the directions and set them aside. Be sure to add it to a large bowl with extra room, or split it into two bowls, to make mixing the caramel easier.
- Add the butter to a saucepan.
- Next, add the brown sugar and Karo syrup and bring it to a boil.
- Pour in the vanilla extract and mix.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, boil it for five minutes.
- When you reach the five minutes, remove the pan from the burner and add the salt, and baking soda and mix well.
- Carefully pour the caramel over the popcorn and toss the popcorn until it is coated.
- Spread the caramel popcorn out on two greased cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle the pretzels and peanuts over the popcorn.
- Next, add some chocolate chips to a bowl and a small amount of vegetable oil, and microwave for about one minute to melt the chips.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn, nuts, and pretzels.
- Refrigerate to harden the chocolate and caramel.
- Break up the popcorn and add to bags or cups.
Step-By-Step Instructions On How To Make The Caramel Popcorn Recipe
Before you start on the homemade caramel, pop the popcorn kernels according to the directions and set them aside.
TIP: I always add the popcorn to a super large bowl, or put it in two bowls, because you’re going to be mixing in the caramel and you need room to be able to stir the popcorn to coat it.
Add the butter to the saucepan on medium-high heat and start the melting process.
Next, add the brown sugar.
Pour the Karo syrup into the saucepan and mix everything together.
Bring the brown sugar to a boil, add the vanilla extract, and mix.
The brown sugar mixture needs to boil for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
When you reach the five minutes, remove the saucepan from the heat and add the salt, and baking soda and mix well.
Pour the caramel over the popcorn and stir until most of the popcorn is coated.
Be careful while stirring. I have burned myself a couple of times while accidentally flipping the popcorn out of the bowl.
Spread the popcorn out on two greased cookie sheets.
Sprinkle the pretzels, nuts, or whatever added treat you’d like, right on top of the popcorn.
Melting The Chocolate
Add the chocolate chips to a bowl. Pour one teaspoon of vegetable oil into the chocolate chips.
Melt the chips in the microwave for about one minute. Stir until all of the chips are melted.
If the chips are not fully melted, add them back to the microwave in increments of 15 seconds, stirring each time.
Once melted, drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn.
You don’t have to add vegetable oil, but it will help make the drizzling a lot easier.
Place the two cookie sheets in the refrigerator until the chocolate and caramel harden, which should take about an hour.
Once they harden, break up the popcorn and add it to cups or bags.
Other Great Recipes:
- Cake mix cookie bars
- Turtle candy recipe with pecans, caramel, and chocolate.
- The top 10 best holiday pecan desserts
- Brown sugar pound cake with butter pecan glaze
Caramel Popcorn With Chocolate
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start creating! This is a great snack and I think you’ll really love it.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your caramel popcorn on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 5 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light Karo syrup
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 12 oz. semi-sweet, white, or milk chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup pretzels
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- Pop the popcorn according to the package directions.
- Add the butter to a saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Next, add the brown sugar, and Karo syrup. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Pour in the vanilla extract and mix.
- Boil for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the burner, and stir in the salt, and baking soda.
- Pour over the popcorn and carefully mix until most of the popcorn is covered.
- Spread the popcorn out on two greased cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle the peanuts and pretzels over the top of the popcorn.
- Add the chocolate chips and vegetable oil to a bowl and microwave for one minute.
- Stir the chocolate until melted. Repeat in increments of 15-seconds, until melted, stirring each time.
- Drizzle of the chocolate over the top.
- Refrigerate about one hour or until the chocolate and caramel hardens.
- Break into pieces and add to a bag or bowl.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 821Total Fat: 50gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 731mgCarbohydrates: 92gFiber: 3gSugar: 75gProtein: 6g
Nutrition is approximate.