Caramel popcorn with chocolate, pretzels, and peanuts makes a great snack for movie night.
Or, you can share the popcorn treat during the holiday season, birthdays, or events.
Munch Popcorn – A Sweet And Salty Snack
There’s nothing better than a sweet and salty snack with a combination of chocolate, caramel, peanuts, and pretzels.
The delicious fresh snack recipe is made with homemade caramel, and it tastes better than any store-bought popcorn snack you’ll find on the shelves.
The recipe is easy to make, and you can make at least two large Ziplock bags full of caramel popcorn with chocolate.
The great thing about this recipe is that it is versatile. You can add pretzels, peanuts, pecans, walnuts, M&M’s, peppermint candies, Jelly Beans, or just about anything you can think of.
You can even trade out the chocolate for white chocolate or live on the edge and add both to create zebra popcorn!
What Ingredients Are Needed To Make Caramel Popcorn With Chocolate?
- Vegetable oil
- Popcorn kernels
- Brown sugar
- Light corn syrup
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
- Milk chocolate, semi-sweet, dark, or white chocolate chips
- Optional: pecans, walnuts, candy, candy canes, M&M’s, or anything you’d like to add.
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Watch The Video To See How It’s Made
How Do I Make The Caramel Popcorn?
- Pop the popcorn kernels according to the directions and set them aside. Be sure to add it to a large bowl with extra room, or split it into two bowls, to make mixing the caramel easier.
- Add the butter to a saucepan.
- Next, add the brown sugar and light Karo syrup and bring it to a boil.
- Pour in the vanilla extract and mix.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, boil it for five minutes.
- When you reach the five minutes, remove the pan from the burner and add the salt and baking soda, and mix well.
- Carefully pour the caramel over the popcorn and toss the popcorn until it is coated.
- Spread the caramel popcorn out on two greased cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle the pretzels and peanuts over the popcorn.
- Next, add some chocolate chips to a bowl and a small amount of vegetable oil, and microwave for about one minute to melt the chips.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn, nuts, and pretzels.
- Refrigerate to harden the chocolate and caramel.
- Break up the popcorn and add it to bags or cups.
Step-By-Step Instructions On How To Make The Caramel Popcorn Recipe
Before you start on the homemade caramel, pop the popcorn kernels according to the directions and set them aside.
For this recipe, you can use microwave popcorn or pop popcorn on the stovetop.
TIP: I always add the popped popcorn to a super big bowl, or put it in two large mixing bowls, because you’re going to be mixing in the caramel, and you need room to be able to stir the popcorn to coat it.
For the homemade caramel sauce, add the butter to a medium saucepan on medium-high heat and start the melting process.
Next, combine brown sugar with butter.
Pour the Karo syrup into the saucepan and mix everything together.
Bring the brown sugar to a boil, add the vanilla extract, and mix.
The brown sugar mixture needs to boil for five minutes, occasionally stirring with a wooden spoon.
You are timing the brown sugar mixture, so you won’t need a candy thermometer for this recipe.
When you reach the five minutes, remove the saucepan from the heat and add the salt and baking soda, and mix well.
Pour caramel mixture over the popcorn and stir until most of the popcorn is coated.
If this is your first time making the recipe, be careful while stirring. I have burned myself a couple of times while accidentally flipping the popcorn out of the bowl and trying to pick it back up while hot.
Spread the popcorn out on two greased baking sheets.
Sprinkle the pretzels, nuts, sea salt, or whatever added treat you’d like right on top of the homemade caramel corn.
On a side note, if you just want caramel corn and not the other added treats, you can allow this to cool, and you’re done. But keep reading if you’d like to continue the recipe with more goodies.
Melting The Chocolate
Add the chocolate chips to a bowl. Pour one teaspoon of vegetable oil into the chocolate chips.
Melt the chips in the microwave for about one minute. Stir until all of the chips are melted.
TIP: If the chips are not fully melted, add them back to the microwave in increments of 15 seconds, stirring each time.
Once melted, drizzle the melted chocolate over popcorn mixture.
You don’t have to add vegetable oil, but it will help make the drizzling a lot easier.
Place the two cookie sheets in the refrigerator until the chocolate and caramel harden, which should take about an hour.
Once they harden, break up the popcorn and add it to cups or bags.
Optional Chocolate Choices:
- Milk chocolate chips
- Dark chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips
- Peppermint chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
- Or your favorite flavor.
How To Store The Chocolate And Caramel Popcorn
Store the popcorn in an airtight container and keep it in a cool location, so the chocolate does not melt.
Other Wonderful Recipes:
- Cake mix cookie bars – this is one of those dessert recipes that are super easy to make and turns out delicious every time.
- Turtle candy recipe with pecans, caramel, and chocolate.
- The top 10 best holiday pecan desserts
- Brown sugar pound cake with butter pecan glaze
Can The Recipe Be Made Into Popcorn Balls?
Yes, you can make the recipe into popcorn balls. Spread the caramel-covered popcorn out onto the cookie sheet and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
Sprinkle the extra candies and pretzels that you’d like to have on it.
Once it cools down a little, spray your hands with non-stick spray and gather up some popcorn in your hands and form it into a ball. Allow it to cool, and add your chocolate drizzle over the top.
Can You Make Caramel In A Nonstick Pan?
Nonstick pans work great for making homemade caramel. It doesn’t stick as much and pours out easily.
How Do You Prevent Caramel From Sticking To The Pan?
Caramel is super sticky stuff. You are going to have some stick to the pan, but you’re better off making caramel in a nonstick pan. It will slide off easier and you won’t have as big of a sticky mess.
Be sure to soak your pan in hot water after you’ve poured all of the caramel out. Soaking the pan will help break down the caramel and clean up will be much easier.
This is a great recipe and you will love how easy it is to make it. The recipe is great for sharing, snacking at home, or bringing to a party.
Be sure to get the recipe below.
Chocolate Caramel Corn
Caramel Popcorn With Chocolate
Caramel popcorn with chocolate, pretzels, and peanuts makes a great snack. You can share your chocolate caramel popcorn on game night, give it away in gift bags, and snack on it at home.
- 5 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light Karo syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 ounces semi-sweet, white, or milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup pretzels
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- Pop the popcorn according to the package directions and add to large mixing bowls.
- Add the butter to a saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Next, add the brown sugar and Karo syrup. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Pour in the vanilla extract and mix.
- Boil for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the burner, and stir in the salt and baking soda.
- Pour over the popcorn and carefully mix until most of the popcorn is covered.
- Spread the popcorn out on two greased cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle the peanuts and pretzels over the top of the popcorn.
- Add the chocolate chips and vegetable oil to a bowl.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave for one minute.
- Stir the chocolate until melted. Repeat in increments of 15-seconds until melted, stirring each time.
- Drizzle chocolate over the top.
- Refrigerate for about one hour or until the chocolate and caramel hardens.
- Break into pieces and add to a bag or bowl.
Tips: You can line the cookie sheet with parchment paper for easier clean up.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 821Total Fat: 50gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 731mgCarbohydrates: 92gFiber: 3gSugar: 75gProtein: 6g
Nutrition is approximate.
Sunday 11th of December 2022
Second time. Added the nuts,pretzels and crushed candy candy! A gift 🎁 no one will want to return!!😊
Monday 12th of December 2022
Love this so much!
Chocolate Poke Cake - Back To My Southern Roots
Friday 19th of February 2021
[…] Caramel popcorn with chocolate – the perfect snack any time of year. […]
Delicious Turtle Brownies - Back To My Southern Roots
Tuesday 9th of February 2021
[…] brownies with caramel oozing from the top and crunchy flavorful pecans. It’s a chocolate and caramel lover’s […]
Easy Homemade Salted Caramel Popcorn in Less than an Hour - Back To My Southern Roots
Sunday 27th of December 2020
[…] love popcorn around here. Easy homemade salted caramel popcorn is not only a great treat, but it’s so […]
Halloween Caramel Popcorn Munch Recipe #HalloweenTreatsWeek - Back To My Southern Roots
Sunday 27th of December 2020
[…] Halloween and there’s nothing better than a homemade caramel popcorn munch recipe to eat at home or take to a […]