Homemade Mashed Potatoes with Cheese and Bacon
Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
The loaded mashed potato casserole recipe is made with homemade mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, sour cream, chives, and parsley. You can’t go wrong with this savory favorite side dish.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can not only add the ingredients in the recipe, but also add whatever extras you’d like such as onions, green onions, broccoli, and more.
But, if there’s something else you’d like, feel free to add it to the recipe.
The potatoes are so creamy and filled with flavor that it’s really hard to stop at one serving. But, if you have to, there are enough potatoes here to feed about twelve people a regular-sized helping.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Loaded Mashed Potatoes?
- Mashed potatoes
- Sour cream
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Cook, drain, and mash the potatoes with the milk and butter.
- Next, add half of the shredded cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
- Spread the mashed potatoes into a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the cheddar cheese on top of the potatoes.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 25 minutes on 350-degrees.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle the cooked and crumbled bacon on top.
- Finish by sprinkling the chopped chives and parsley over the top.
- Serve while hot.
Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
Start by boiling and mashing the potatoes. Next, place them into a large bowl.
Pour one cup of the shredded cheddar cheese on top of the potatoes.
Next, add the sour cream, salt, and pepper and mix well.
Pour the mashed potatoes into a greased 9″ x 13″ casserole dish. Top with the remainder of the shredded cheddar cheese.
Cover with tin foil and bake for 25 minutes.
Remove the tin foil.
Doesn’t that cheese looks amazing? Mmm… good.
Lastly, top with the cooked and crumbled bacon, chopped chives, and parsley. Serve while hot.
Other great side dishes:
- Moist Jiffy cornbread is one of the most popular side dishes on the blog–and it’s absolutely delish!
- Broccoli cheese bake was a hit with my kids.
- Homemade green bean casserole is a classic side dish and it only takes five minutes to get it ready and into the oven to cook.
- Southern homemade butter beans cook all on their own in the Crock Pot so you don’t have to stand in front of a hot stove.
- Slow cooker glazed carrots is another great recipe to save time and energy.
- Broccoli cheese casserole is another dish that is packed with flavor. Moms love that it has veggies and kids love the taste!
What goes well with loaded mashed potatoes?
Some of the main dishes that go well with mashed potatoes include meatloaf, roast beef, fried chicken, ham, turkey, and so much more.
Loaded Mashed Potatoes Recipe Card
Check out the loaded mashed potatoes recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! This is a wonderful easy side dish and I know you will want to eat it at every big meal.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your dish on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 4 pounds potatoes, mashed
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Sprinkle of parsley
- Cook, drain and mash the potatoes.
- Add the butter and milk while mashing.
- Next, add the sour cream, 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper and mix.
- Spread the mashed potatoes into a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Top with the remainder of the shredded cheese.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Top with the bacon, chives, and parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 377Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 1006mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g
Nutrition is approximate.