Easy muddy buddies are a great snack any time of year, but especially around the holiday season.
The recipe is perfect if you have a chocolate and peanut butter sweet tooth.
The sweet treat is super easy to make, only takes a few minutes, and always turns out delicious.
Perfect For Holiday Parties
Chex Mix muddy buddies are loved by everyone around here.
I made some the other day and sent them to work with my husband for one of his friends, and he loved them, as well. It’s a crowd favorite.
The treat is made with simple ingredients and is perfect for taking to parties or set out on your own dessert table.
The muddy buddies, also known as puppy chow (not for puppies or dogs) or reindeer chow, take about ten minutes to make.
When I made them, my youngest came into the kitchen and put a couple in his mouth. About ten minutes later, he was still standing there saying, “I can’t stop eating these!”
So, needless to say, they are a hit.
You can add red, green, and white M&M’s for Christmas, pink candies for Valentine’s Day, or any color for your favorite holiday.
The chocolate snack mix is very versatile.
Ingredients For Muddy Buddies
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make Muddy Buddies
- Add the chocolate chips to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Next, add the peanut butter and butter to the bowl and melt in the microwave for one minute.
- Stir until melted (be careful as it will be hot).
- Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Next, add the Chex Mix cereal to another large mixing bowl and pour the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal. Stir until the cereal is coated with chocolate.
- Scoop the cereal into a large plastic bag (Ziplock bags work great for this) and add the powdered sugar.
- Shake until the cereal is coated with powdered sugar.
- Spread the cereal out on a cookie sheet and let the chocolate harden for about 30 minutes.
Add the semi-sweet chocolate chips to a medium-sized bowl.
Don’t you love recipes that start out with chocolate? You know you can’t go wrong.
Next, add the creamy peanut butter.
Add the butter to the bowl.
Melt the ingredients together in the microwave for about one minute. Stir it when you pull it out of the microwave.
Chances are, you won’t need to microwave it any more than one minute.
Add the Chex Mix cereal to a large bowl.
Pour the chocolate into the bowl with the Chex Mix. Stir the muddy buddies until they are completely covered in chocolate.
Scoop all of the chocolate-covered Chex Mix into a Ziplock bag.
One large gallon-sized bag was all I needed. I was able to fit all nine cups of cereal in there.
Pour the powdered sugar into the bag and zip it up. Shake the Chex Mix until they are all covered with powdered sugar.
Spread the Chex Mix out on a cookie sheet and let it sit for about half an hour to harden up a little.
Add them to a bowl or bag and add your choice of treats such as M&M’s, chocolate chips, candy, or anything else you’d like to put in.
The classic recipe for muddy buddies ends up with a sugary smooth exterior and layers of crunchiness. It might just become your favorite snack.
The whole batch will make nine cups of the chocolate Chex mix. And the best part? You won’t believe how simple it is.
With some of these ingredients, you can switch them out or add them to the muddy buddies recipe.
- Milk chocolate chips
- Dark chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
- White chocolate chips
- Rolo candies
Easy Muddy Buddies
Get the recipe for the delicious muddy buddies below. If this is your first time making the classic snack mix, you will be surprised at how easy it is to make.
The recipe will become a family favorite and is perfect for game nights, birthday parties, or any holiday.
Muddy Buddies are a great homemade snack. The recipe features a chocolate and peanut butter mixture along with sweet powdered sugar for a delicious treat.
- 9 cups Chex Mix Cereal
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Add the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter to a medium-sized bowl.
- Microwave for one minute. Stir everything together until melted.
- Add the vanilla and stir.
- Pour the Chex Mix cereal into a large bowl. Pour the chocolate into the bowl with the cereal and mix until the cereal is completely covered.
- Scoop into a Ziplock bag and add the powdered sugar. Shake until the Chex Mix is covered.
- Spread out onto a baking sheet and let harden for about 30 minutes.
- Add to a bowl with your favorite treats such as M&M's, etc.
Store the muddy buddies in an airtight container and keep at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 cups Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179Total Fat: 10.4gSaturated Fat: 4.8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 19.6gFiber: 0.7gSugar: 14.5gProtein: 3.2g
Nutrition information is approximate.
Easy Velveeta Fudge Recipe - Back To My Southern Roots
Saturday 11th of September 2021
[…] hours before serving. It will be hard to keep your hands off of it, though. It’s so creamy, chocolatey, and […]
Sweet and Salty Snack Mix - Southern Home Express
Friday 14th of August 2020
[…] fun treat guests will love is a batch of these muddy buddies from my friend Julie’s […]
Sweet and Juicy Caramel Apple Grapes - Southern Home Express
Monday 27th of July 2020
[…] I want something different, I go for these muddy buddies from my friend Julie’s Back to My Southern Roots blog. Bet you can’t eat just […]
Snickerdoodle Cookies (+Video) - Back To My Southern Roots
Sunday 5th of July 2020
[…] Muddy Buddies […]
Easy No-Bake Rum Balls Recipe - Southern Home Express
Monday 1st of June 2020
[…] try this barbecue party peanuts appetizer from Julia’s Simply Southern. I also like these muddy buddies from Back to My Southern […]