Muddy Buddies are a great snack any time of year, but especially around the holidays. They are super easy to make, only take a few minutes, and always turn out delicious.
Chex Mix Muddy Buddies are loved by everyone around here. I made some the other day and sent them to work with my husband for one of his friends and he loved them, as well.
The muddy buddies, also known as puppy chow, take about ten minutes to make. When I made them my youngest came in the kitchen and put a couple in his mouth. About ten minutes later he was still standing there saying, “I can’t stop eating these!”
So, needless to say, they are a hit.
You can add red, green, and white M&M’s for Christmas, or pink candies for Valentine’s Day, or any color for your favorite holiday. It makes the snack very versatile.
Recipe and printable instructions are listed below.
Add the semi-sweet chocolate chips to a medium-sized bowl. Don’t you love recipes that start out with chocolate? You know you can’t go wrong.
Next, add the creamy peanut butter.
Add the butter to the bowl.
Melt the ingredients together in the microwave for about one minute. Stir it when you pull it out of the microwave. Chances are, you won’t need to microwave it any more than one minute.
Add the Chex Mix cereal to a large bowl.
Pour the chocolate into the bowl with the Chex Mix. Stir the muddy buddies until they are completely covered in chocolate.
Scoop all of the chocolate-covered Chex Mix into a Ziplock bag. One large gallon-sized bag was all I needed. I was able to fit all nine cups of cereal in there.
Pour the powdered sugar into the bag and zip it up. Shake the Chex Mix until they are all covered with powdered sugar.
Spread the Chex Mix out on a cookie sheet and let it sit for about half an hour to harden up a little.
Add them to a bowl or bag and add your choice of treats such as M&M’s, chocolate chips, candy, or anything else you’d like to put in.
- 9 cups Chex Mix Cereal
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Add the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter to a medium-sized bowl.
- Microwave for one minute. Stir everything together until melted.
- Add the vanilla and stir.
- Pour the Chex Mix cereal into a large bowl. Pour the chocolate into the bowl with the cereal and mix until the cereal is completely covered.
- Scoop into a Ziplock bag and add the powdered sugar. Shake until the Chex Mix is covered.
- Spread out onto a cookie sheet and let harden for about 30 minutes.
- Add to a bowl with your favorite treats such as M&M's, etc.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179Total Fat: 10.4gSaturated Fat: 4.8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 19.6gFiber: 0.7gSugar: 14.5gProtein: 3.2g