Southern pecan pie cake is simple recipe that is similar to pecan pie, with a bit of a twist. The decadent homemade cake only requires seven ingredients and will be a hit at your next gathering.
The Perfect Dessert
Let me tell you that this is a great recipe and one of the best cakes out there.
The first time I made the cake, I thought I was in heaven. I had a terrible time putting the fork down.
With a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top southern pecan pie cake might just be one of the best desserts I’ve eaten.
It really is the perfect dessert, and it’s the perfect Thanksgiving dessert, hands-down. And, you can add it to the holiday treats table (because yes we need a large table just for treats) for Christmas, as well.
The intermingling of flavors of pecans, corn syrup, butter, and cake mix will make your taste buds incredibly happy.
The cake is also similar to a dump cake because you are essentially dumping the ingredients onto the bottom layer.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Pecan Pie Cake?
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
- Box of yellow cake mix
- Melted butter
- Brown sugar
- Light corn syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Chopped pecans
How To Make Pecan Pie Cake
- Mix the cake mix, melted butter, and one egg in a medium-sized mixing bowl. After mixing, reserve 2/3 cup of the batter and set aside.
- Press the remainder of the cake mixture into a 9-inch by 13-inch greased pan and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- In a large bowl, add the reserved 2/3 cup of batter, and add the eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla extract, and pecans, and mix well.
- Pour over the baked cake mix and bake again for 50-60 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool.
The cake is made in two layers. The bottom layer is the cake layer, and the top is a more gooey pecan pie type of topping. The combination of the two is unbeatable.
Bottom Cake Layer
For the first layer, add the yellow cake mix to a medium-sized bowl.
Next, pour the melted butter into the bowl.
Add one egg and mix well. It’s going to be a very thick batter. It reminds me of the batter at the bottom of chess squares.
Divide the batter and set aside 2/3 cup. You will add it to your topping in one of the next steps.
It seems like there won’t be enough batter to press into the pan, but it will spread out.
Grease a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish and press the remainder of the cake batter into the dish.
Bake it for about 15-20 minutes or until the cake is golden brown on the edges.
Top Of The Cake – Pecan Filling
For the second layer, add the remainder of the cake batter to a large bowl and add three eggs.
Next, add the brown sugar and vanilla extract.
I used light brown sugar, but you can change it out and add dark brown sugar for a little bit more of a deeper flavor.
Next, add the corn syrup and mix well. The batter will be a little bit crumbly.
If you like a bit of a different flavor, you can use dark corn syrup, instead of light.
Add the chopped pecans and mix.
Pour the top of the cake over the baked bottom cake layer and bake for 50-60 minutes.
The top edge will get gooey as it bakes. It’s not a thick cake, but it tastes pretty darn amazing.
Allow the cake to cool to room temperature.
Slice the cake and add a scoop of ice cream or whipped topping for a wonderful and delicious cake dessert.
This is truly one easy recipe for a moist cake that is perfect for any gathering, but especially after Thanksgiving dinner. It will feed a lot of people, and believe me, it will be a big hit.
Other Holiday Desserts:
- Easy pecan pie recipe
- Blueberry Pie With Frozen Blueberries
- Easy southern praline pecans
- Butterscotch Pie
- Easy Christmas crack
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
How Do I Store The Cake?
I would store the cake in an airtight container. It does not need to be refrigerated but will last a few days longer in the fridge.
Can The Cake Be Frozen?
Yes, you can freeze the cake. Just be sure to keep it in an airtight container, as well. When you are ready to eat the cake, let it sit on a counter (where the cold won’t hurt it) and allow it to defrost.
Delicious Pecan Pie Cake
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start baking! This is the best pecan pie cake recipe with a sweet cake bottom and a pecan pie filling top.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your cake on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
Bottom Cake Layer
- 15.25 oz. box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 1 egg
Top Cake Layer
- (Reserved 2/3 cup of bottom layer)
- 3/4 cup of light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cup of chopped pecans
Preheat the oven to 325-degrees and grease a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish.
- Add the cake mix to a medium-sized bowl.
- Next, add the melted butter, one egg, and mix well.
- Scoop out 2/3 of a cup and set it aside.
- Press the remainder of the cake batter into the baking dish and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are light golden brown.
- Add the reserved 2/3 cup of batter (from the bottom layer) to a large bowl.
- Next, add three eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add the chopped pecans and mix. Pour the top layer over the cooked bottom layer and bake again for 50-60 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and serve.
The cake batter will be thick.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 711Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 43gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 231mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 7gSugar: 45gProtein: 8g
Nutrition is approximate.