Easy Twice Baked Potatoes
We love potatoes around here. I will eat them pretty much any way I can get them.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Twice Baked Potatoes?
- Russet potatoes
- Sour cream (optional)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Crumbled cooked bacon
- Chives (optional)
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How To Make Twice Baked Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400-degrees. Wash and dry the potatoes and poke a few holes in each potato with a fork.
- Place the potatoes directly on the oven rack and bake for about one hour, or until the potatoes feel soft on the inside.
- Turn the temperature down to 350-degrees.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes before cutting.
- Slice the potatoes down the middle and dig out the insides, leaving just a tad behind in the peel.
- Add the potato insides to a large bowl.
- Next, add the half and half, sour cream, salt, pepper, and butter to the bowl and mix until all of the lumps are gone.
- Add the shredded cheese and crumbled bacon and mix.
- Spoon the mashed potato mixture back into each potato skin.
- Top with some more shredded cheddar cheese and bacon and bake for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are heated through.
Other Toppings That Go Great On Twice Baked Potatoes
- BBQ pork or beef
- Your favorite salad dressing
- Mozzarella, bleu cheese, Swiss cheese, or any type of cheese you can think of.
How To Cook Twice Baked Potatoes
Start by preheating the oven to 400-degrees. Wash and dry the potatoes and put a few fork holes into the potatoes.
Place the potatoes into the oven right on the oven rack and cook for about one hour.
You’ll know the potatoes will be done when you gently squeeze them and they are soft.
When you take the potatoes out of the oven, reduce the heat to 350-degrees.
Once the potatoes cool a little, slice them in half and place them onto a cookie sheet.
Scoop the cooked potato out of the skins, leaving a little bit still in the skin.
Pour the half and half into the bowl and add the sour cream.
You can use milk instead of half and half, if you’d like.
If you’re not a big sour cream fan, you can switch it out with cream cheese, or leave it out altogether. It will still taste fantastic and flavorful.
Next, pour the melted butter into the bowl and mix until all of the lumps are gone.
Add half of the bacon and half of the shredded cheddar cheese and mix until combined.
Scoop the creamy mashed potatoes back into each of the skins.
There was plenty to go around. I was a little worried I wouldn’t have enough to fill each skin, but I had plenty.
Top with the remainder of the cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles and bake on 350-degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are nice and hot.
Dinner recipes that go well with twice baked potatoes:
- Baked chicken and ranch is a great meal that goes well with twice baked potatoes.
- Slow cooker BBQ Beef is always tasty with potatoes.
- Homemade salmon patties taste delicious with a side of loaded twice baked potatoes.
- Pork chops in the air fryer is an easy meal and packed full of flavor.
- Baked pork chops and gravy is another great meal that everyone will love and it only takes a few minutes to get it prepped and into the oven.
Can I make the twice baked potatoes ahead of time?
You can make the potatoes ahead of time. You can keep them in the refrigerator for about three days, or freeze them for up to two months.
When you are ready to cook the potatoes, add the topping and bake.
You will need to cook them a few minutes longer if they are going right from the fridge to the oven.
Can I freeze twice baked potatoes?
Yes, you can freeze the potatoes, but be sure to freeze them before baking them a second time.
When you are ready to eat the potatoes, allow them to thaw, top with the cheese and bacon (or toppings of your choice) and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are hot.
- 4 Russet potatoes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream OR 4 oz. cream cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 6 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 oz. pkg. bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 400-degrees. Wash and dry the potatoes and poke a few holes in each one with a fork.
- Place the potatoes directly on the rack in the oven and bake for about one hour, or until the potatoes are soft when you squeeze them.
- Turn the oven down to 350-degrees.
- Allow the potatoes to cool a little and then cut them in half and scoop out the inside of the potatoes and add to a large bowl.
- Add the half and half, melted butter, salt, pepper, and sour cream to the bowl and mix well. (Sour cream is optional).
- Add half of the shredded cheese and crumbled bacon and mix.
- Scoop the potatoes back into the potato skins and top with the remainder of the cheese and bacon.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are hot.
TIP: You can use milk instead of half and half, if you'd like to.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 497mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 11g
Nutrition is approximate.