French toast casserole is a wonderful buttery breakfast treat covered with a sweet praline pecan topping, all with the comforts of cinnamon and nutmeg.
After one bite of this recipe, everyone will be begging for more.
A Sweet French Toast Breakfast
My friend Beth, who is an absolutely fantastic cook, shared this recipe with me, and boy am I thankful.
I had a hard time putting down my fork after taking a bite. I can safely say this is the best French toast I’ve ever eaten.
Beth serves the sweet French toast breakfast dessert around the holidays and it’s a breakfast you won’t soon forget.
Overnight French Toast Casserole
The overnight French toast casserole is the perfect addition to any holiday morning (who are we kidding, I would eat it every day if I could), and it’s an easy recipe, as well.
I made the recipe in the evening, refrigerated it overnight, and pulled it out the next morning to get it ready and into the oven.
During November and December, I’ve shared quite a few recipes and Beth has contributed several–and they are all delish!
She always amazes me with her willingness to help others and her love of cooking. And, that girl can cook!
What Ingredients Do I Need For The Easy French Toast Casserole?
- French bread
- Half and half
- Vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Chopped pecans
- Light brown sugar
- Light corn syrup
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
How Do You Make The Baked French Toast Casserole?
- Slice French bread into one-inch slices and place them into a 9″ x 13″ greased baking dish. Overlap each piece when adding to the dish.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs and beat.
- Next, add the half and half, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the French bread. Lift each piece and spoon the wet mixture over the bread, making sure to cover all of it.
- Cover with tin foil and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The following morning, grab a medium-sized bowl and add the softened butter.
- Next, add the brown sugar and corn syrup and cream together.
- Add the pecans, cinnamon, and nutmeg and mix well.
- Spread over the French bread and bake approximately 45 minutes or until the French bread is golden brown.
Some readers like to see the step-by-step instructions, so be sure to follow along if you’d like to.
Start by slicing the French bread into one-inch slices and place them into a greased casserole dish.
Beth suggested getting the French bread at Costco or Walmart because it tends to be a little denser and won’t soak up quite as much of the egg mixture.
Next, add the eggs to a large bowl and beat them. Pour the half and half into the bowl and mix well.
Add the granulated sugar and vanilla extract to the bowl.
Now, add the cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.
Pour the egg mixture over the top of the French bread. Lift the bread and spoon the mixture between each piece.
Cover with tin foil and place in the refrigerator overnight.
When you get up the next morning, grab a medium-sized bowl, and add the softened butter, light corn syrup, and brown sugar and cream together.
Add the chopped pecans, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and mix well.
Finally, spread the butter mixture over the French toast and bake for 45 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and toasty.
As soon as it’s done baking, it’s ready to serve.
I’m tellin’ ya, this is one of the best breakfast dishes I’ve ever eaten. You will want to make this part of your holiday traditions.
Top with some maple syrup and you’ve got one decadent breakfast. But, be sure to make plenty, because people will be asking for seconds.
Other holiday treats you’ll love:
- Pecan pie cheesecake bars are another delicious dessert that is perfect for the holidays.
- Praline pecans are easy to make and are on the top of everyone’s wish list.
- Pecan cinnamon roll recipe is another great addition to any breakfast. Plus, there’s no waiting around for dough to rise in this simple recipe.
- How can you go wrong with pecan pie brownies? You can’t. They. Are. Awesome.
- Pecan pie is one of those desserts that is a must at every family holiday gathering. This is my dad’s go-to recipe.
French Toast Casserole Recipe
Check out the recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start baking! This is a great recipe for the fall and Thanksgiving and Christmas morning.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your French toast casserole on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 1 large French bread loaf
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups of half and half
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Maple syrup for pouring on top
- Slice the French bread on the bias and place it into a 9" x 13" greased casserole dish, making sure each piece overlaps the other.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs and beat them.
- Next, add the half and half, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt and mix.
- Pour over the French bread. Lift each piece and spoon the mixture over the bread, making sure to cover it all.
- Cover with tin foil and place in the refrigerator overnight.
In the morning, remove the tin foil and preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
- Add the softened butter to a medium-sized bowl.
- Next, add the corn syrup and brown sugar and cream together.
- Add the chopped pecans, cinnamon, and nutmeg and mix.
- Spread the topping over the French bread and bake for 45 minutes at 350-degrees or until the top is golden brown.
- Top with maple syrup.
I made the French toast in the evening, refrigerated it all night, and pulled it out the next morning to complete the recipe with the praline topping, and bake it.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 591Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 268mgSodium: 365mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 35gProtein: 11g
Nutrition is approximate.