It’s a thing. Why brown the butter? Browning the butter adds a more nutty flavor to the dessert and gives it a deeper, sort of darker, flavor.
Blondie recipe bars are typically a lighter version of brownies and the browned butter makes it a fun and unique dessert.
What is brown butter?
Brown butter is the process of cooking unsalted butter long enough to allow it to turn brown. When browning butter, it cooks off the water that is in the butter and gives it a deep and rich flavor.
The process is also called beurre noisette and is used a lot for topping fish, pasta, and vegetables. And, you can add it to desserts, such as blondies, cookies, and cakes.
And, don’t be intimidated, it is an easy process.
How to brown butter
- Add the unsalted butter to a saucepan and turn the heat onto medium. Allow the butter to melt and keep stirring. You can turn the heat up to medium-high, but keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
- Cook until the butter turns to a medium-brown color, stirring often.
- Pour the brown butter into a bowl and set aside for a few minutes.
The brown butter can be a light shade of brown, or go all the way up to a dark brown; however, the darker it gets the more bitter it will taste.
It’s a little hard to tell in this picture, but I cooked the butter and allowed it to get a little bit darker and then poured it into a large mixing bowl that I would be using.
I let the butter cool for a few minutes before adding the next ingredients.
What Ingredients Do I Need for the Brown Butter Blondie Recipe?
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post.
- Light brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Toasted pecans
- Chocolate chips
Toasting the pecans
Start by adding some butter to the saucepan and allowing it to melt.
Next, add the chopped pecans to the saucepan and cook them for a few minutes until they are toasted. I cooked them for about five minutes on medium heat.
Once toasted, place the pecans in a small bowl and set to the side.
You will really be able to smell the pecans after a few minutes because the process of toasting brings out the wonderful nutty smell.
It reminds me of the Christmas song with chestnuts roasting on an open fire, but this time it’s pecans on a glass-top stove – ha! Still yummy, though.
How to Make the Easy Blondie Recipe
Start by adding the brown sugar to the browned butter.
You can see the brown butter a little better in this picture below the sugar and it’s such a pretty amber-brown color.
Pour the vanilla extract into the bowl next.
Add the eggs to the bowl and mix everything together.
Once you’ve mixed the ingredients, add the flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl and mix again.
Next, add the toasted pecans to the batter.
Finally, add the chocolate chips to the batter and mix.
I like milk chocolate chips and thought it would add a sweeter taste, so that is what I added.
But, you can also use semi-sweet, peanut butter, or even white chocolate to the recipe for a different flavor.
Spray the 9″ x 13″ casserole dish with non-stick spray and place some parchment paper over the top. I go on and spray on top of the parchment paper again with non-stick spray.
Adding the parchment paper to the dish is not required, but will help when going to take the blondies out to cut them. Plus, it helps with clean-up and I am always happy about not having to scrub a dish.
If you don’t have parchment paper, never fear, just spray the dish with non-stick spray.
TIP: Having the casserole baking dish ready before you mix the ingredients is a good plan because the batter thickens fairly quickly, so it’s good to have it ready to spread.
Spraying the non-stick spray underneath the parchment paper just helps keep it in place.
Spread the batter into the casserole dish.
Bake the blondie recipe for 20-25 minutes or until your knife or cake tester comes out clean.
Let the blondies cool and slice.
This is such an easy blondies recipe. I think y’all will love the deep nutty flavor of these and they are chewy and decadent on the inside.
Print out the brown butter blondies recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start baking! This is the best blondie recipe and I think y’all will love it.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture of your dessert bar on Pinterest. If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too.
Connect with Me
Brown Butter Blondie Recipe
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter + 1 Tbsp.
- 1-1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup pecans
- 12 oz. chocolate chips (semi-sweet, OR milk chocolate, OR white chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees, spray non-stick spray in a 9" x 13" casserole dish.
- Line with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray on top of the paper.
Browning the Butter
- In a small saucepan add 3/4 cup of butter and set the temperature to medium. Melt the butter and allow it to brown.
- Remove the saucepan and pour the butter into a bowl, set it aside, and allow it to cool.
Toasting the Pecans
- In a small saucepan, add one tablespoon of butter and allow it to melt.
- Add the chopped pecans and cook for about five minutes until they are toasted.
- Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Pour the browned butter into a large glass bowl.
- Add the brown sugar, vanilla extract, and the eggs. Mix together.
- Next, add the flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl and mix.
- Stir in the pecans and chocolate chips.
- Spread into the casserole dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a knife or cake tester comes out clean.
- Let the blondies cool for a few minutes.
TIP: Spray the 9" x 13" casserole baking dish with non-stick-spray, line with parchment paper, and spray again for easy blondies removal and clean-up.
TIP: Have the baking dish ready before mixing the batter because the batter thickens quickly.
TIP: Be sure not to add the eggs directly into the hot butter or it can cook the eggs. Allow the butter to cool for a few minutes first.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 56mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g
Nutrition is approximate.
For more recipes: