Easy pecan pie bars are a wonderful holiday treat and are one of my favorite dessert recipes.
The treat features candied pecans and a gooey pecan pie center with a sweet and flaky shortbread-type crust.
The recipe is perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas, or pretty much anytime you want to eat a dessert.
For Pecan Pie Lovers
Candied Pecan Dessert Bars are such a special treat. Once September first hits, I am ready for anything fall related–and they sure fit the bill.
They are pretty easy to make, and the shortbread base is almost good enough to eat on its own.
Well, let’s rephrase, it’s definitely good enough to eat on its own, but the added gooey center and candied pecans on top sure make it a happy, happy dessert.
The pecan squares are like oven roasted pecans with a sweet pecan pie filling all rolled into one big thick bar.
I made the bars in a 9-inch x 9-inch pan because I like my treats to be pretty thick, but you could easily make these in an 11-inch x 7-inch pan, as well. (A 9-inch by 13-inch baking pan will be too large for the recipe).
What Ingredients Are Needed To Make Candied Pecan Pie Bars?
- All purpose flour
- Finely chopped pecans
Pecan Pie Filling:
- Light corn syrup
- Light brown sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Vanilla extract
- Chopped pecans
- Mixing bowl
- 9″ x 9″ square baking pan
- Non-stick spray
- Hand mixer
- Cuisinart or chopper
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Watch How To Make Pecan Pie Bars
How To Make Easy Pecan Pie Bars
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Add the flour and butter to a medium bowl and mix well with an electric mixer.
- Next, add the sugar and chopped pecans and mix.
- Press dough into a prepared baking pan.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the edges of the crust are golden brown.
Pecan pie filling
- Add the eggs to a medium bowl and beat.
- Next, add the corn syrup, brown sugar, flour, salt, and vanilla extract, and mix well.
- Add the pecans and mix well.
- Pour the gooey filling over the shortbread crust.
- Bake for approximately 35 to 45 minutes at 350-degrees, or until the filling is set (barely wiggles in the center).
- Cool and refrigerate for a few hours.
Buttery Shortbread Crust
I started out by chopping up 1/3 cup of pecans in my Cuisinart.
If you don’t have a Cuisinart, you can chop the pecans with a knife, food chopper, or food processor.
In a separate bowl, mix the all-purpose flour with the softened butter.
It will be a little clumpy.
Add the sugar and finely chopped pecans and mix well.
The crust is such a treat. It really doesn’t look that special, but it was tough to not eat the dough.
The dough is a tiny bit dry, and that’s ok. It will press down in the baking dish just fine.
I used a hand mixer for the recipe, but you can also use a stand mixer if that’s what you have.
Press dough into a greased baking dish.
I used stoneware for this recipe because I really love it. The stoneware seems to heat evenly, and I rarely burn things on the bottom.
I bought this from Pampered Chef, but you can also get it on Amazon.
If you don’t have stoneware, that is fine. You can use a glass or metal pan, as well.
Bake the crust for about 18-20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown around the edges.
Pecan Pie Topping
Add the eggs to a medium-sized bowl and beat them. Then add the corn syrup to the mix.
Next, add the all-purpose flour, brown sugar, salt, and the vanilla and mix well.
Add the pecans and mix them in.
Pour the pecan mixture on top of the baked crust.
When it cooks, just like a pecan pie, most of the pecans will float up toward the top, making the middle gooey, and oh-so-delicious.
Bake for 35-45 minutes at 350-degrees. When the center is barely wiggly, it is done.
You don’t want it to wiggle much at all.
Let it cool for about an hour on the counter (in a safe place – as the bottom will be hot) to room temperature and then refrigerate for at least a couple of hours.
You will be able to cut the squares into nice clean pieces after it cools in the refrigerator.
They are like little pecan pie bars that you can walk around with and they are soooo good.
They are perfect for dessert after Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, potlucks, bake sales, or gifts.
- Pure maple syrup instead of corn syrup for delicious maple pecan pie bars.
- Dark corn syrup instead of light corn syrup for a deeper flavor.
- Dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar for a deeper flavor.
- Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream right on top.
Should I refrigerate the pecan pie bars?
Yes, you do need to refrigerate the pecan pie bars if you are not planning to eat them on the first day.
But, it’s ok to leave it out on the counter on the first day if you’re planning to eat it right away.
Can pecan pie be reheated?
Yes, you can place them in the oven for about 10 minutes at 350-degrees. You can also microwave the bars, but they might come out a little too chewy.
How do I store the pecan pie bars?
Store the pecan pie bars in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator.
More Delicious Holiday Pie Recipes
Grab the easy recipe below for delicious pecan pie bars. The recipe is perfect for parties, Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any time of year.
I know you’ll love the buttery crust on the bottom layer topped with gooey pecan filling.
Easy Pecan Pie Bars Recipe Card
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 sticks butter (softened)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 6 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Mix the flour and softened butter in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the sugar and pecans and mix.
- Press into a 9" x 9" greased casserole dish. (You can use an 11" X 7" dish, as well. They will be thicker bars with the 9" x 9" dish).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until edges of crust are golden brown.
- Mix the eggs in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the corn syrup, brown sugar, all-purpose flour, salt, and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the pecans and mix well.
- Pour pecan mixture over the shortbread crust.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes at 350-degrees, or until pecan filling is set (barely wiggly in the center).
- Cool and refrigerate, then cut into squares.
Be sure to grease the pan with non-stick spray. You can also use parchment paper to line the pan. You will want to grease the top of the parchment paper.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 pieces Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 206mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 0gSugar: 15gProtein: 2g