Hello Dolly Bars, with sweetened condensed milk, are one of the best desserts out there. The bars, also known as magic cookie bars or seven layer bars, is such a quick and easy recipe to make. With the combination of pecans, chocolate chips, toasted coconut, and a graham cracker crust, you can’t go wrong.
I absolutely love Hello Dolly Bars and I could honestly just sit and lick the inside of the sweetened condensed milk can, but with the added chocolate chips, pecans, graham crackers, and shredded coconut…Hello!
Must be why they call them Hello Dolly Bars!
How To Make Hello Dolly Bars
The bars are great for holiday and Christmas parties, gifts for teachers and friends, or to just sit around and eat them at home. I prefer the latter (wink…wink).
I have not always been a big coconut fan, but I like it these days. After you cook it, it’s toasted and oh-so-delicious.
(On a side note, seven layer bars typically have butterscotch chips; however, I decided to leave them out of this recipe).
I haven’t always known about magic bars or Hello Dolly Bars.
My friend brought some over a few years ago and shared with us and I couldn’t figure out how on earth I’d gotten through life without eating them?
Needless to say, she became my new best friend.
What you will need for the Hello Dolly Bars:
- 9″ x 9″ Baking dish
- Non-stick spray
- Medium-sized bowl
- Microwave or stovetop to melt the butter
- Saucepan or microwave-safe bowl to melt the butter
- Graham crackers
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped pecans
- Shredded coconut
- Can of sweetened condensed milk
Recipe and printable instructions at the bottom of the post.
First, crush up a packet of graham crackers until they are fine crumbs. It won’t hurt anything if there are a few chunks in there.
You can either crush them in the Cuisinart or use a Ziplock bag as I did. Using a rolling pin helped crush them faster.
Usually one sleeve, from a graham cracker box, is enough to make 2 cups for the crust.
Next, melt the butter.
Add the graham crackers to the melted butter and stir it in.
Press the graham cracker and butter mixture into the bottom of the 9″ x 9″ casserole dish.
I put some tinfoil in the pan and sprayed it with a non-stick spray. It makes it easier to take the Hello Dolly Bars out of the pan when they cool, and it makes for an easy clean-up.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips around the top.
Next, sprinkle the pecans on top of the chocolate chips.
Add the coconut on top and spread it out evenly.
And now comes the best part. Pour the entire can of sweetened condensed milk over the top.
We will literally fight over licking the can in this house. It is so good.
Click on the links for more delicious dessert recipes:
- Easy Stovetop Candied Pecans
- Fudge That Will Make All Your Friends Jealous
- Peanut Butter Fudge to Die For
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake Bars
Bake the Hello Dolly Bars at 325-degrees for about 25-30 minutes, or until the coconut turns a golden brown around the edges.
If you try to get the coconut golden in the center, it will end up burning the edges. It’s ok if it doesn’t get golden in the center.
And, Hello Dolly Bars!
These are the original Hello Dolly Bars!
Do seven layer bars freeze well?
Yes, they do freeze well. Be sure to wrap them up in Saran Wrap and a Ziplock bag to prevent freezer burn. Place in the fridge or set on the counter to thaw.
Should seven layer bars be refrigerated?
No, they do not have to be refrigerated. Hello Dolly Bars, seven layer bars, or magic bars can stay on the counter for a few days.
How long do magic bars keep?
Magic bars, Hello Dolly Bars, or seven layer bars will keep for three to five days on the counter, and up to a week in the refrigerator. Keep the bars in an airtight container with wax paper between the bars to keep from sticking together.
Check out the Hello Dolly Bars recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking! You’ll love how easy this recipe is to make.
Then, share your comments below and click here to share a picture of your dessert on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share with us.
Connect with Back To My Southern Roots
- 2 cups crushed graham crackers (usually one sleeve is enough)
- 10 Tbsp. butter (melted)
- 1 - 1/4 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 - 14. oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees.
- Line a 9" x 9" casserole dish with tin foil. Spray the tin foil with non stick spray.
- Crush the graham crackers in a bag and add the 2 cups to a bowl.
- Add the melted butter and mix well.
- Pour the graham crackers and butter mixture into the casserole dish and press down with your hand.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Next, sprinkle the pecans on top.
- Finally, sprinkle the coconut on top.
- Pour the can of sweetened condensed milk over all of the ingredients.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the edges are golden.
- Allow to cool for one hour before serving.
Nutritional Information is approximate.
- Duralex 100009 Made In France Lys Stackable 9-Piece Bowl Set
- Pedrini Square Ceramic Baker (9 x 9-Inch, Red)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 230 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 15mg Sodium: 80mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 15g Protein: 3g