The Perfect Sweet Dessert Bar
The chocolate chip bars recipe is easy to whip up and makes a large pan for a crowd. With all of the sweet flavors, it might become your new favorite.
This recipe reminds me a lot of Hello Dolly Bars, but with more of a cookie, shortbread taste. The sweetened condensed milk chocolate chip bars are rich and filling like a Hello Dolly Bar.
If you love dessert bars, give these M&M cookie bars a try.
How To Make Sweetened Condensed Milk Bars
- Cream the butter and then add the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix into crumbles.
- Press into a casserole dish and bake until golden brown.
- Heat the sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips in a saucepan and pour over the crust.
- Cream the remaining butter and add flour, sugar, and salt. Mix again into crumbles.
- Add the remaining chocolate chips and pecans (or walnuts) to the crumbly mixture.
- Sprinkle over the chocolate mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool and serve.
Sweetened condensed milk recipes are easy to make and always turn out amazing.
Any type of cookie bar with chocolate chips is going to be a hit at parties, church potlucks, or office gatherings.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Bars
- Butter (softened)
- All-purpose flour
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Chocolate chips
- Pecans or walnuts (chopped)
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post.
How To Make the Crust
Cream the butter
If you forget to set out the butter on the counter to soften, you can microwave the butter for about 15 seconds.
Or, take a large glass and run it under some hot water. Once it’s hot, set it on top of the stick of butter, and in a few minutes, you’ll have some soft butter!
I have a setting on my convection/microwave oven that will soften butter and I end up using that all the time because I forget to set the butter out.
Add the flour, sugar, and salt to the butter. Mix it until it becomes crumbly.
Press the crumbly mixture into the greased casserole dish.
TIP: Put some flour on your hands while pressing down on the mixture, otherwise, you’ll be covered in dough.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
Y’all will be baking the crust again, with the toppings, so it’s ok if the center is not completely cooked.
Heat the can of sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips in a saucepan on low heat until melted.
You can also microwave the chips and sweetened condensed milk in a large bowl in increments of 30 seconds if you don’t want to use a saucepan.
Pour the chocolate mixture over the crust. Spread it to the edges.
Helllloooo chocolate. You know this is gonna be good.
In another bowl, add the softened butter, flour, sugar, and dash of salt.
Stir until you create another crumbled mixture for the top of the sweetened condensed milk dessert.
Add the pecans (or walnuts) and chocolate chips to the crumbled mixture and stir together. You can also dice the pecans smaller to make it even more crumbly.
Crumble the mixture over the top of the chocolate and sweetened condensed milk mixture.
Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Cool for about 30 minutes and serve!
This is your dessert, so feel free to add more or different ingredients. There are lots of options for making it a little bit different.
The majority of these items can be found on the baking aisle in most grocery stores.
- Graham cracker crumbs for a buttery graham cracker crust instead of shortbread. (Just crush up the graham crackers and add melted butter to create the crust).
- Butterscotch chips (this will make it a little more like a magic cookie bars recipe aka 7-layer bars).
- Peanut butter chips (same as above).
- Drizzle some dulce de leche or caramel sauce over the top.
- Add some cookie dough crumbles on the top (the topping is already similar to cookies).
- Toasted sweetened flaked coconut.
- Dark chocolate chips.
- Top the dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream as soon as it comes out of the oven.
More Sweetened Condensed Milk Recipes + Favorite Desserts
- Lemon meringue pie – this is one of those easy dessert recipes that has been around for generations because it’s so good! It continues to get rave reviews.
- Pound cake with sweetened condensed milk – this is a great recipe for family gatherings. It will serve a lot of people.
- Key lime pie – this is a great way to bring a little bit of Florida to your party!
- Buckeye brownies – Peanut butter and chocolate never tasted so good together.
- Sweetened condensed milk chocolate pie – one of the best recipes around. It’s an easy recipe, and people love to make this for friends and family.
- M&M Cookies – cookie lovers unite! This is a classic recipe that everyone loves, and it might become your favorite cookie.
Mmm… This is one of my favorite desserts (and definitely a family favorite). This cookie bar recipe also makes a great gift for teachers and neighbors.
Chocolate Chip Bars Recipe Card
Check out the sweetened condensed milk chocolate chip bars card below, grab those ingredients, and start baking! This is a great dessert any time of the year, and I think you’ll love it.
Then, share your comments below and click here to share a picture of your bars on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
- 2 sticks butter (softened)
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 stick butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- dash salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts (diced)
Preheat oven at 350-degrees and grease a 13" x 9" casserole dish
- Beat two sticks of butter until creamy.
- Add the sugar, flour, and salt and mix well until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Press into a greased 13" x 9" casserole dish.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a saucepan on low heat.
- Add one cup of chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- Pour over the crust and spread to the edges.
- Add the softened butter to a bowl and cream.
- Add the flour, sugar, and salt and mix until crumbly.
- Add the remainder of chocolate chips and pecans to the crumbled mixture.
- Add to the top of the chocolate mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool for at least half of an hour.
You can line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper if you'd like to lift the bars out of the pan to slice them more easily. Just make sure the treats are cool before you lift them out of the pan.
Store the treats in an airtight container or cover them with some plastic wrap.
You can use Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk or generic.
The dessert does not need to be refrigerated, but it will last a few more days if you keep it refrigerated.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 125mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g
Nutrition is approximate
Hi there! I’m Julie Pollitt from ‘Back To My Southern Roots.’ My love for cooking started way back on my grandparents’ farm in Tennessee. Those sunny days, the smell of biscuits in the oven, and all the family fun really sparked my passion for cooking. On my blog, I share more than just recipes – they’re like stories from my life, full of Southern warmth and homey goodness. The best part? Whether you’re just starting out or you’re a kitchen pro, you’ll find my recipes super easy to whip up. So, come on, pull up a chair, and let’s make some delicious memories!