Sweetened Condensed Milk Chocolate Chip Bars are the perfect recipe when you’re looking for a rich dessert for birthdays and holidays, or any time of year.
The chocolate chip bars recipe is easy to whip up and makes a large pan for a crowd.
Sweetened condensed milk is one of my absolute favorite ingredients. I could honestly just lick the can and be happy; but, adding it to a recipe always makes dessert better.
This recipe reminds me a lot of Hello Dolly Bars, but with more of a cookie, shortbread taste. The sweetened condensed milk chocolate chip bars are rich and filling like a Hello Dolly Bar.
If you love dessert bars, give these M&M cookie bars a try.
How To Make Sweetened Condensed Milk Bars
- Cream the butter and then add the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix into crumbles.
- Press into a casserole dish and bake until golden brown.
- Heat the sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips in a saucepan and pour over the crust.
- Cream the remaining butter and add flour, sugar, and salt. Mix again into crumbles.
- Add the remaining chocolate chips and pecans (or walnuts) to the crumbly mixture.
- Sprinkle over the chocolate mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool and serve.
Full printable recipe with measurements and instructions listed at the bottom of the post.
Sweetened condensed milk recipes are easy to make and always turn out amazing. Any type of cookie bars with chocolate chips are going to be a hit at parties, church potlucks, or office gatherings.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Bars
- Butter (softened)
- All-purpose flour
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Chocolate chips
- Pecans or walnuts (chopped)
How To Make the Crust
Cream the butter
If you forget to set out the butter on the counter to soften, you can microwave the butter for about 15 seconds.
Or, take a large glass and run it under some hot water. Once it’s hot, set it on top of the stick of butter, and in a few minutes, you’ll have some soft butter!
I have a setting on my convection/microwave oven that will soften butter and I end up using that all the time because I forget to set the butter out.
Add the flour, sugar, and salt to the butter. Mix it until it becomes crumbly.
Press the crumbly mixture into the greased casserole dish.
TIP: Put some flour on your hands while pressing down on the mixture, otherwise, you’ll be covered in dough.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
Y’all will be baking the crust again, with the toppings, so it’s ok if the center is not completely cooked.
Heat the can of sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips in a saucepan on low heat until melted.
You can also microwave the chips and sweetened condensed milk in a large bowl in increments of 30 seconds if you don’t want to use a saucepan.
Pour the chocolate mixture over the crust. Spread it to the edges.
Helllloooo chocolate. You know this is gonna be good.
In another bowl, add the softened butter, flour, sugar, and dash of salt.
Stir until you create another crumbled mixture for the top of the sweetened condensed milk dessert.
Add the pecans (or walnuts) and chocolate chips to the crumbled mixture and stir together. You can also dice the pecans smaller to make it even more crumbly.
Crumble the mixture over the top of the chocolate and sweetened condensed milk mixture.
Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Cool for about 30 minutes and serve!
More Sweetened Condensed Milk Recipes
- Lemon meringue pie
- Pound cake with sweetened condensed milk
- Key lime pie
- Buckeye brownies
- Sweetened condensed milk chocolate pie
Mmm… This is one of my favorite desserts. This cookie bar recipe also makes a great gift for teachers and neighbors.
Chocolate Chip Bars Recipe Card
Check out the sweetened condensed milk chocolate chips bars card below, grab those ingredients, and start baking! This is a great dessert any time of the year and I think you’ll love it.
Then, share your comments below and click here to share a picture of your bars on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us so we can try it, too!
Connect with Back To My Southern Roots
- 2 sticks butter (softened)
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 stick butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- dash salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts (diced)
Preheat oven at 350-degrees and grease a 13" x 9" casserole dish
- Beat two sticks of butter until creamy.
- Add the sugar, flour, and salt and mix well until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Press into a greased 13" x 9" casserole dish.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a saucepan on low heat.
- Add one cup of chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- Pour over the crust and spread to the edges.
- Add the softened butter to a bowl and cream.
- Add the flour, sugar, and salt and mix until crumbly.
- Add the remainder of chocolate chips and pecans to the crumbled mixture.
- Add to the top of the chocolate mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool for at least half of an hour.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 125mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g
Nutrition is approximate