Key Lime Pie
Key lime pie with sweetened condensed milk is a super easy recipe and combines sweet and tart flavors into a delicious and satisfying dessert.
I’ve lived in Florida for almost 20 years now and first learned about the pie when I moved here. I had eaten lemon meringue pie, but never key lime.
The key lime adds a different flavor to the pie and a bit of tartness, and there are quite a few ways to make the pie, as well.
Some people like to add sour cream to the pie, which I will always eat, but I like to make the simpler version, which is what I am sharing today.
As always, the pie is made with sweetened condensed milk, which makes everything delicious!
Using Juice or Squeezing Key Limes
For this pie, you can use key lime juice from a jar, which is what I chose to do, or squeeze the key limes.
Squeezing the key limes will taste fresher, and you can add some key lime zest, but I also like the simplest of recipes and having the juice already squeezed works great for me.
This pie recipe is a bit of a softer tart-tasting pie, so you can always add more juice if you’d like–and adding some zest will help add more tart flavor, as well.
My kids love tart foods that they can feel in their jawbones, right underneath their teeth–you know what I’m talking about.
Sweetened Condensed Milk Desserts
I’m not sure there are too many things in this world better than sweetened condensed milk because it’s truly heaven in a can–thick, creamy, sweet, and perfect.
As I’ve said before, I will risk cutting my tongue to lick the can. Every time. It’s so worth it.
What Do I Need to Make Key Lime Pie?
(Full recipe and printable instructions listed at the bottom of the post)
- Egg yolks
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Lime juice
- Graham cracker crust
- Key lime zest (optional)
- Whipped topping (optional)
Other desserts with sweetened condensed milk
How Do I Make the Key Lime Pie with Sweetened Condensed Milk?
- Start by adding the egg yolks to a medium-sized bowl and mix for a couple of minutes (you will be cooking the pie for a few minutes in a later step).
- Next, add the sweetened condensed milk to the bowl and mix the two ingredients together.
- Add the lime juice to the pie and mix well and pour the mixture into the graham cracker pie crust.
- Finally, bake the pie for 15 minutes and allow it to cool in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
Firstly, add the egg yolks to a medium-sized bowl and mix with a hand mixer or stand mixer for about three minutes to get them fluffy.
I didn’t make meringue for the top of the pie for this recipe, but you can certainly do that. If you decide to make meringue, save the egg whites from the recipe and you can use those to make meringue.
Secondly, pour the sweetened condensed milk into the bowl with the egg yolks.
Mix the two ingredients together until well blended.
Thirdly, pour the lime juice into the bowl and mix it together.
Finally, pour the key lime pie mixture into the graham cracker crust and bake for 15 minutes at 350-degrees.
I used a pre-made 9-inch graham cracker pie crust for this recipe.
Once the pie cooks, remove it from the oven and place it in the refrigerator for at least two hours to set up.
Top with whipped topping for a creamy and tart dessert.
Recipe Card Below
Check out the key lime pie with sweetened condensed milk recipe card below, grab those ingredients, and start cooking.
Then, share your comments below and share a picture on the Pinterest Pin! If you made any changes or added something different, be sure to share it with us!
Connect with Back To My Southern Roots
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 - 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup key lime juice
- 1 tsp. key lime zest (optional)
- Whipped topping (optional)
- 9 in pre-made graham cracker crust
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Beat the egg yolks in a medium-sized bowl for about 3 minutes to get fluffy.
- Pour in the sweetened condensed milk and mix well.
- Add the key lime juice and mix well.
- Next, add the key lime zest (optional) and mix well.
- Pour into the pie crust and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and refrigerate for at least two hours to set up.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 196mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 1gSugar: 41gProtein: 8g
Nutrition is approximate.
Check out other delicious recipes at